Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

42 minutes ago, Onemealplan said:

Get yourself some small thermal cups they are great!!

Omg. My husband just reminded me that I have a small thermos I use for hot cocoa once a year when we go to look at all the Christmas lights because I’m not a super big fan but it’s a family tradition. I never travel with Soup so it didn’t occur to me that it’s for soup too. 😆

23 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I haven’t tried this yet but I just got another idea for a gadget that will come in very handy if it works like I think it will. A coffee mug warmer. For the broth and the cream Soups for full liquid for sure. And maybe even the purée and soft stage since everything is supposed to be real moist. But At least for this Soup stage because it just cools off so fast. The more I think about it this may not be as helpful for everyone with tiny tummies since you can only eat like 3 bites early out anyways. I am a little different since they didn’t operate on my stomach. Supposed to keep my portions small but I physically can eat more.

One of my audiobooks I listened to when prepping for this actually recommended it, even for regular food. Just put the food on a saucer plate and use the mug warmer.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Averdra said:

Well, I started this thread and then just mostly lurked (in part because I couldn't find my pw to log back in!) my surgery date is coming up soon... August 21st, but as to whether or not it will happen is up in the air I caught covid (I think) the end of July and I have a lingering cough that may dreail my surgery date. This is really rough because I'm having to travel to Lithuania to get it done and my tickets are not refundable... I'm hoping it just all goes through.

It's been encouraging to follow all your progress and I'm so hopeful to be joining in soon. @Hiddenrosess you really motivated me to write because I also used to role-playing in wow back in 2004-5 and am also neuro divergent. Anyway, this feels like I'm awkwardly jumping into the middle of someone else's conversation... So... *slips away*

Hello @Averdra ! I'm so glad that you decided to speak up and join us! I feel honored to have helped inspire you - I was a big RP junkie on WoW and it even overflowed to Tumblr there for a while, for me :) Man, Covid is such a bear to deal with! I completely feel you on the delay - My 24 year old son moved from Missouri to Portland Oregon in the summer of 2021 and I was BEYOND excited for him to come visit me last fall. The date approached; and I got Covid for the FIRST time about four days before he was scheduled to land. It was heartbreaking to have to socially distance visit with him; he still wanted to come to be able to see his Granny and other family, plus had everything scheduled off work at that point. We risked ONE hug with my double masked, wearing plastic gloves :( Stupid Covid, screwing things up! That said - yeah, the dehydration weirdness that Covid can cause and the cough - it's so much better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully yours passed quickly without any lingering negative side effects. Welcome to the club, fellow WoW nerd! You certainly don't need to worry about 'jumping in' - we're all going through this at our own pace and the conversation it TOTALLY open!

To @draikaina8503 - Yes, you DO got this! You're so very close now! Don't forget (if you're going to!) that this is the time to take those post op photos and measurements! We're here cheering for you to have as pain free a surgery process and recovery as possible :) Enjoy your sugar free popsicles if you're allowed them - not sure if it's allowed in the clear liquid state. Also, I will say that when it comes to the shakes try to prepare yourself some variety, if you can! I ended up doing french vanilla and chocolate for several days and thought I was going to lose my mind! I'm way regretting all this 'cream of' Soup that I got because they just taste beyond awful to me (maybe it's the 98% free? Idk.) and wishing I'd gotten more chicken noodle soup to strain. I got a container of chicken broth but it tastes SO plain.

@Onemealplan - I meant to comment previously - I've been having a lot of upper left shoulder pain as well. I wonder if maybe I had a nerve block as well - my pain hasn't been severe unless I move wrong or stand for too long trying to DO something like cook for my family, Your suggestion of a thermal cup dinged a bell for me - My fella has one of those I'll totally be using! Oh and @ShoppGirl that IS a really good idea, with the warmer. I had already been thinking along those lines but I figured I'd just set my little plate on a heating pad turned on high lol

Welcome and congratulations on getting your surgery date, @caseyash30! It will be here before you know it!

I just woke up from a nap and I'm pushing my limited a little to have something NOT a shake - I stirred a little bit of low fat cottage cheese in with some of my sugar free vanilla yogurt for variety. I'm mashing the heck out of the cottage cheese part and eating super slowly while also sipping a little bit of chicken broth I warmed up SLIGHTLY and added a touch of salt to. Hopefully everything sits right; so far so good. Other than Water and splitting a strawberry Premier shake 30g Protein between breakfast and lunch this is the only other thing I've 'eaten' today. I know I'm not 'graduated' to puree yet but good gravy I've been following everything to a T as far as instructions. I may have missed someone here - Oh!

@ShoppGirl - Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. To ME you seemed like Superwoman getting everything so prepared - and I completely understand that anxiety that the progress you made will be lost. I'm cheering you on and betting it won't, though! Every friend of mine I've seen go through Bariatric surgery so far ended up finding themselves bursting with energy by about month 3, and they really threw themselves into cleaning and organizing in an effort to keep busy. I've struggled with depression, anxiety, and overthinking, so I am hoping the same for myself! I didn't get as much pre-cleaning done as I would have liked and as expected, looking at the clutter is driving me up the wall!
On the upside, having these mobility issues has clued me in to a few that I've now taken steps to solve for my Mother, who I live with and help care for. She was always reluctant to take regular showers and I didn't understand it until I went to shower myself and it occurred to me - the grab bar on the side of the tub is totally inadequate if you are unsteady, and there needs to be one mounted to the wall. I've already taken steps to make that happen and am very glad that this afforded me the realization :)

@Pepper_No_Salt - Woot! You're so close as well! I hope the liquid portion of your pre-surgery diet goes smoothly and we're here cheering for your surgery and recovery to be as gentle and painless as possible!

@AndreaJD - Congratulations on getting through it! Yeah, the gas pain can be SO real. I hope your recovery is going smoothly!

Congratulations to @Everyone on your progress, again, sorry if I missed anyone!

Edited by Hiddenroses

5 hours ago, Hiddenroses said:

To start with, since I think this will affect pretty much everyone - I had an amazing revelation a couple of days ago that made PERFECT sense. Colace / Docusate is a stool softener, NOT a laxative! A friend of mine is a research junkie about medications (I am about almost everything BUT that) and shared a video to me of a Pharmacist talking about the absurd cost for Docusate / Colace considering what it IS. Miralax and Senna are laxatives, all Colace / Docusate does it provide lubrication to your stools so they will be easier to pass. I'm pretty irritated about this, honestly, because whileI can see the purpose of Colace/Docusate if you're severely constipated it won't actually get things 'Moving'! Literally >. I can attest to this being true because during my liquid diet the only times I had stools were when I took Senna - (obv check with your doctor/pharmacist, but seriously this helped me SO much because post-op I was again at 5 days without a stool, took some Senna, and bam.)

Hey there @draikaina8503 - Greetings, fellow nerd-friend! Your response about playing D+D & WoW resonated with me! I, too, am a gamer and nerd! ❤️ I have tried so many times to revisit WoW but it just is NOT the same now that I don't have all of my old friends and guildies from the 2007-2015 era around :( I have played WoW since 2004 on and off, and now have somewhat given up and just play Sims4. I love being able to create story and be immersed in my gaming, and always felt guilty to move into the territory of roleplaying storyline with folks when I never knew how long I'd 'stick around' on a given revisit to the game.
But here you are, only *two days* away from your surgery! I hope that everything goes smoothly for you and that they aren't stingy with the pain relief. Ice packs have been SO helpful for me, as I previously stated, and making yourself get up and walk as soon as possible will help alleviate the gas pain.
I had them get me a fresh ice pack each time before I went walking and would hold it pressed to my surgical area while pushing the stupid IV pole with my other hand. Remember, too, it's the act of walking and NOT the speed! You'll almost certainly feel the burps start to rise up and the relief that comes with that is as Shoppgirl said - it feels like a rainbow after a storm once the tooting and burps begin. Also; I appreciate you sharing that you're going through this as an individual with Au/ADHD; I'm on a wait list right now for testing and your mention reminded me that I need to follow up on that!

As a result of my opening the different pages of this thread in different tabs I feel SO much more able to handle making a response all in one go like this! For anyone having trouble tagging you have to do the @ symbol, then start typing the name of the person you want to tag with a capitol letter. It will bring up a list at that point and the more letters you type the shorter that list of names will get - you can then tap on the right name (or click, if you're using a mouse - hope this helps!)

All of this is super helpful! Thank you so much.

I too am a fantasy/supernatural writer, though I haven't taken the time to write in a while. I may try to do NaNoWriMo again this year, we'll see. As for WoW, I keep returning strictly for the RP (though I am hoping the new expansion truly brings some life back to the actual game itself). We will see. I know it releases while I'm post-op, but unless I'm feeling truly up to it, I may wait before jumping into it. My guild knows I'm going on a medical hiatus and will return when I feel like I am ready to return. What server did you play on? I've been on Cho'gall, Arygos, and Wyrmrest Accord. I have toons on other servers, but those were/are the three I've been guilded and active on.

And thank you for telling me how to tag people! I just do quotes and respond to posts because I couldn't figure that out (and because my brain needs to focus on one thing at a time lol). But I hope they get you in for testing soon! As someone who was diagnosed as an adult, it was a bit of a mixed blessing for me. I always knew I was "weird" and finally understood why. But then I had to look back and process all the times in my life where things could have been different had we known when I was a child.

I hope your post-op appointment goes fantastically!

3 hours ago, Averdra said:

Well, I started this thread and then just mostly lurked (in part because I couldn't find my pw to log back in!) my surgery date is coming up soon... August 21st, but as to whether or not it will happen is up in the air I caught covid (I think) the end of July and I have a lingering cough that may dreail my surgery date. This is really rough because I'm having to travel to Lithuania to get it done and my tickets are not refundable... I'm hoping it just all goes through.

It's been encouraging to follow all your progress and I'm so hopeful to be joining in soon. @Hiddenrosess you really motivated me to write because I also used to role-playing in wow back in 2004-5 and am also neuro divergent. Anyway, this feels like I'm awkwardly jumping into the middle of someone else's conversation... So... *slips away*

Hi, WoW roleplayer and fellow ND here. You are always welcome to jump in the middle of my conversations. ❤️

In all seriousness, I hope things work out for you to get your surgery as planned.

19 minutes ago, Hiddenroses said:

To @draikaina8503 - Yes, you DO got this! You're so very close now! Don't forget (if you're going to!) that this is the time to take those post op photos and measurements! We're here cheering for you to have as pain free a surgery process and recovery as possible :) Enjoy your sugar free popsicles if you're allowed them - not sure if it's allowed in the clear liquid state. Also, I will say that when it comes to the shakes try to prepare yourself some variety, if you can! I ended up doing french vanilla and chocolate for several days and thought I was going to lose my mind! I'm way regretting all this 'cream of' Soup that I got because they just taste beyond awful to me (maybe it's the 98% free? Idk.) and wishing I'd gotten more chicken noodle Soup to strain. I got a container of chicken broth but it tastes SO plain.

I unfortunately am very limited in Protein Shake flavors that are available. I'm actually allergic to milk, so all I can have are plant Protein Shakes. So yay for having to have the more expensive, less available flavors. >_>

I did buy a tape measure this morning when I was running errands so that I can take my measurements! My other tape measure, uh.... really put in perspective how big I was because it wouldn't go around me. Depressing but also motivating to know that I am doing the right thing for me.

Hopefully, I move to being able to have 'cream of' Soups when I get home. Though there are concerns about how much surgery they will actually be doing as I do have endometriosis. So the hope is that it hasn't spread since my last endo surgery 15 years ago, and therefore they don't have to deal with that particular complication. I am nervous about the hernia repair. I know it's common, but it's just one more thing to go through. I've been prepping myself for the bypass, not the hernia repair. LOL

21 minutes ago, draikaina8503 said:

I unfortunately am very limited in Protein Shake flavors that are available. I'm actually allergic to milk, so all I can have are plant Protein Shakes. So yay for having to have the more expensive, less available flavors. >_>

I did buy a tape measure this morning when I was running errands so that I can take my measurements! My other tape measure, uh.... really put in perspective how big I was because it wouldn't go around me. Depressing but also motivating to know that I am doing the right thing for me.

Hopefully, I move to being able to have 'cream of' Soups when I get home. Though there are concerns about how much surgery they will actually be doing as I do have endometriosis. So the hope is that it hasn't spread since my last endo surgery 15 years ago, and therefore they don't have to deal with that particular complication. I am nervous about the hernia repair. I know it's common, but it's just one more thing to go through. I've been prepping myself for the bypass, not the hernia repair. LOL

I honestly think at a certain point it doesn’t much matter what they do while they are poking around in your abdomen it’s just hurts for a while regardless. I had a surprise gallbladder removal and I seem to be recovering pretty similar to most others with the surgery. I had a bit of a tough beginning but that was actually because of gas not incision pain. Hopefully yours will be the same but without the gas either

hello everyone! Just got home. Everything went well. i had more pain getting my gallbladder removed last year. so there's some good news for those that may be nervous. Also, pho broth can be purchased at any pho restaurant. Now to nap!

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Singingbarista said:

hello everyone! Just got home. Everything went well. i had more pain getting my gallbladder removed last year. so there's some good news for those that may be nervous. Also, pho broth can be purchased at any pho restaurant. Now to nap!

Glad you are home and it sound like feeling pretty little pain.. I may have some questions for you about your gallbladder surgery experience. I had an unexpected removal of mine with my revision and I’m going tomorrow to get some answers I hope but I know absolutely nothing at all about all this. Take your healing time and let us know how you are doing. Then when you are feeling back to normal please let me know so I can pick your brain about that if you do not mind.

Edited by ShoppGirl

6 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Of course. I am actually looking forward to the ricotta bake. Not sure if you guys are familiar with it but it’s ricotta, marinara and low fat mozzarella cheese. Sorta like a lasagna without the noodles. There are lots or recipes some go in oven with an egg which would add Protein but I just microwaved it last time and supplemented with shakes.

@ShoppGirl, do you have a recipe or could you give us some ballpark amounts and baking instructions? Because that ricotta bake sounds AMAZING.

5 hours ago, draikaina8503 said:

All of this is super helpful! Thank you so much.

I too am a fantasy/supernatural writer, though I haven't taken the time to write in a while. I may try to do NaNoWriMo again this year, we'll see. As for WoW, I keep returning strictly for the RP (though I am hoping the new expansion truly brings some life back to the actual game itself). We will see. I know it releases while I'm post-op, but unless I'm feeling truly up to it, I may wait before jumping into it. My guild knows I'm going on a medical hiatus and will return when I feel like I am ready to return. What server did you play on? I've been on Cho'gall, Arygos, and Wyrmrest Accord. I have toons on other servers, but those were/are the three I've been guilded and active on.

And thank you for telling me how to tag people! I just do quotes and respond to posts because I couldn't figure that out (and because my brain needs to focus on one thing at a time lol). But I hope they get you in for testing soon! As someone who was diagnosed as an adult, it was a bit of a mixed blessing for me. I always knew I was "weird" and finally understood why. But then I had to look back and process all the times in my life where things could have been different had we known when I was a child.

I hope your post-op appointment goes fantastically!

@draikaina8503 and @Hiddenroses, its so cool that you're writers! I have been writing Captain America \ Avengers fan fiction (IDK why but that feels like such an embarrassing secret) for a few years now. I did write a novel the year I did NaNoWriMo, which I intend to do some serious editing and enhancing on some time. (Not fan fiction.) The fan fic is kind of a writing exercise. I'm toward the end of a kind of epic story and when its done I'm going to return to original work and stop the fan fic. But its been fun.

Hopefully, Ill get some serious work done on it while I'm recovering.

1 hour ago, Singingbarista said:

Yay, @Singingbarista! I was just reading through the new messages before sending a post to check on you, my MultiCare twin! So glad to hear you're home and doing well. Yeah, those naps are great.

Posted (edited)

So here's my concern. I am able to drink and have Jello and popsicles just fine. I'm taking it easy because I don't want to overdo it, but shouldn't I be having a harder time getting it down? I bet all of you have the same history as me, diet after diet that didn't work or only worked for a while until eventually the weight came back and brought all its friends so I weighed even more. So I'm feeling concerned that maybe the surgery didn't work. I know that's not true, but... Is anyone else not having a problem getting liquids down?

I guess I need y'all to talk me off the ledge a little here.

Edited by AndreaJD

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, AndreaJD said:

@ShoppGirl, do you have a recipe or could you give us some ballpark amounts and baking instructions? Because that ricotta bake sounds AMAZING.

There are so many different recipes online and even on this site if you really want one but honestly I just went by my taste preference. This one is a single serving using a ramekin. She uses Parmesan cheese In the ricotta mixture and eliminates the mozzarella but I never tried it that way. It will give you the basic portions though. https://bariatricbits.com/single-serve-baked-ricotta/

Edited by ShoppGirl

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, AndreaJD said:

So here's my concern. I am able to drink and have Jello and popsicles just fine. I'm taking it easy because I don't want to overdo it, but shouldn't I be having a harder time getting it down? I bet all of you have the same history as me, diet after diet that didn't work or only worked for a while until eventually the weight came back and brought all its friends so I weighed even more. So I'm feeling concerned that maybe the surgery didn't work. I know that's not true, but... Is anyone else not having a problem getting liquids down?

I guess I need y'all to talk me off the ledge a little here.

I didn’t have any issues getting my fluid goals right away and was drinking pretty big sips in the hospital with my sleeve. They said I just didn’t have as much swelling as many people do. They said to me just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should do it. You want to get used to slowing down and taking smaller sips because when it’s more solid food and it’s bites you will feel your restriction and one bite too many will be the difference between full and vomiting. And just so it doesn’t scare you I lost plenty of weight with my sleeve. It worked fine until I let the bad choices slip back in so don’t worry about that.

Edited by ShoppGirl