Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let me preface by saying I wash my hair 1x a week, I do bleach my hair (have been for yearssss), I eat over 100g of Protein per day, take all my Vitamins daily even extra Biotin which has helped ( I think if not my lashes are longer) lol I did change my Shampoo to Oplalex 2months ago, which after I looked it up had a law suit from women saying the product caused Hair loss? My hair does shed and has since surgery but nothing crazy.

I had my surgery about 4 months ago, and yesterday a very alarming amount of hair come out yesterday! I had my hair up in a bun didn't brush it, pure laziness on my part, but when I took it down and brushed my hair a ton came out...figured okay probably because of not washing my hair yet and not brushing/ putting it in a bun. After I brushed my hair and braided it because I took the kids swimming. Came home and washed my hair and put a hair mask in my hair which I do every week. And HOLY ISH! So much more hair! I yelled for my boyfriend and he was even taken back with how much it was.

I am not sure if I need to prepare for the worst or if THAT WAS THE WORST. I brushed my this morning and the normal amount came out.

Am I going to go bald?!

Posted (edited)

I don't think you are going bald, just going through what so many of us have had to cope with.

I had long thick straight hair pre-op and thought I was doing really well when I got to month four with no Hair loss and then it was like a horror movie for two months. Clumps would come out if I washed my hair, I would cry in the shower when I saw what was in the drain and my hand after just a light touch wash. I kept my hair tied back and washed just once a week during the two months but you could tell where I had been by following the trail of fallen hair, I seriously shed more than my cat!

I was so self conscious about it as had bald Patches but thankfully others couldn't tell it was mostly underneath. I ended up cutting my hair up to chin length so it was not as obvious. After six months the hair loss stopped and now it is about regrowth, it is nearly as annoying though not in anyway upsetting. I have been getting my hair cut every couple of months so that my existing hair is as close in length to the new hair (which is coming in with a curl) and I have to put mascara in my hair if I go out in public as there are baby hairs sticking up all over the place, looks like static hair.

I took special bariatric Vitamins for hair for three months, no idea if it helped but I was prepared to try anything. I also got a couple of wigs but ended up not needed them. For washing my hair I used a really soft Shampoo made from oat milk.

Basically I just want to let you know that what you are going through is normal after the surgery, you couldn't have prevented it, it just happens to most patients as the body is coping with the weight loss and it will get better.

Edited by FifiLux

3 minutes ago, FifiLux said:

I don't think you are going bald, just going through what so many of us have had to cope with.

I had long thick straight hair pre-op and thought I was doing really well when I got to month four with no Hair loss and then it was like a horror movie for two months. Clumps would come out if I washed my hair, I would cry in the shower when I saw what was in the drain and my hand after just a light touch wash. I kept my hair tied back and washed just once a week during the two months but you could tell where I had been by following the trail of fallen hair, I seriously shed more than my cat!

I was so self conscious about it as had bald Patches but thankfully others couldn't tell it was mostly underneath. I ended up cutting my hair up to chin length so it was not as obvious. After six months the Hair loss stopped and now it is about regrowth, it is nearly as annoying though not in anyway upsetting. I have been getting my hair cut every couple of months so that my existing hair is as close in length to the new hair (which is coming in with a curl) and I have to put mascara in my hair if I go out in public ass there are baby hairs sticking up all over the place, looks like static hair.

I took special bariatric Vitamins for hair for three months, no idea if it helped but I was prepared to try anything. I also got a couple of wigs but ended up not needed them. For washing my hair I used a really soft Shampoo made from oat milk.

Basically I just want to let you know that what you are going through is normal after the surgery, you couldn't have prevented it, it just happens to most patients as the body is coping with the weight loss and it will get better.

I thankfully have long thick hair too and it grows fairly fast so i am hoping I get the same results as you where there isn't bald Patches just might have to rock a shorter hair cut for awhile (which I am dreading!) Did you notice that using a more moisturizing Shampoo helped with how much came out? The oplalex doesn't make my hair soft it just keeps my blond looking blond.

I am thinking of taking a prenatal and collagen just because, but I really thought I was a lucky one ;(

My GP warned me that it'll happen to most patients, but won't be permanent -- just something we have to put up with for 6-12mo before it stops falling out and starts growing back properly. He kind of made me feel like keeping up on my multi-vitamins & supplements were the only thing that would have it eventually stabilize, and that most 'solutions' like Biotin Patches and special hair treatments were just going to be an expensive placebo for time & improved nutrition. It actually kind of depressed me, because I have thin straight hair to begin with -- I can't afford much Hair loss. I ended up shaving half my head (undercut only) months prior to my WLS just to be sure I could handle losing that much volume.

Would love to hear from anyone with a great personal experience with additional supplements / treatments that they feel worked? But if not, I'm happy to rock a short do for the next year or so.

1 hour ago, AmberFL said:

Did you notice that using a more moisturizing Shampoo helped with how much came out? The oplalex doesn't make my hair soft it just keeps my blond looking blond.

I am thinking of taking a prenatal and collagen just because, but I really thought I was a lucky one ;(

I don't think it made a difference to how much came out but it made my hair softer and kept it in good condition which meant I could go longer between washes.

I was taking collagen every day as well, still do. The only Vitamin I am no longer taking is the bariatric hair one as felt I did well with the three month supply.

2 minutes ago, JennyBeez said:

My GP warned me that it'll happen to most patients, but won't be permanent -- just something we have to put up with for 6-12mo before it stops falling out and starts growing back properly. He kind of made me feel like keeping up on my multi-vitamins & supplements were the only thing that would have it eventually stabilize, and that most 'solutions' like Biotin Patches and special hair treatments were just going to be an expensive placebo for time & improved nutrition. It actually kind of depressed me, because I have thin straight hair to begin with -- I can't afford much Hair loss. I ended up shaving half my head (undercut only) months prior to my WLS just to be sure I could handle losing that much volume.

Would love to hear from anyone with a great personal experience with additional supplements / treatments that they feel worked? But if not, I'm happy to rock a short do for the next year or so.

Yes the surgeon I met pre-op warned me at the time about Hair loss but I was a bit dismissive as have (had!) such thick hair that I didn't think I would have as much fall out as I did.

I am thankful for the thick hair as I think it is how I coped with it not being noticeable to others.

My hair loss stopped after month six and the regrowth is strong and thick again not sure if that is luck or down to the fact that I added in the special bariatric hair Vitamin, plus collagen on top of the other bariatric Vitamins I take. I just don't know where the curl/kink is coming from now in the regrowth underneath. My hair is now long enough to tie back a bit but I will be getting it cut again next week to try and get closer to it all being one length at the back.

31 minutes ago, JennyBeez said:

I was warned too but I figured no way it would happen to me! I really keep up with the Protein and supplements, alas here we are :( I wish I had the confidence to rock a short do, I am pretty sad just looking up styles for when I get my hair done again in August. I know I am dramatic and pretty vain butttttt ya know LOL

You will get loads of sympathy here OP - for a woman (usually more than a man I think?) our hair is often tied into our identity more generally, for better or worse.

Massive weight loss causes our non-essential body functions like Hair growth to stall completely. Body thinks - no calories - what can I ditch? I know - hair! Once we get through the biggest rate of loss and our body is regrouping then the stalled follicles get pushed out by new growth.

I lost masses of hair in I think 3 distinct phases, about 3 months apart. It's truly properly shocking, that first hair fall. (And for me the second and third - I hope you don't get those too!) Please please be reassured that most of it grows back for most of us. It just takes a while and it's so worth it.

30 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

You will get loads of sympathy here OP - for a woman (usually more than a man I think?) our hair is often tied into our identity more generally, for better or worse.

Massive weight loss causes our non-essential body functions like Hair growth to stall completely. Body thinks - no calories - what can I ditch? I know - hair! Once we get through the biggest rate of loss and our body is regrouping then the stalled follicles get pushed out by new growth.

I lost masses of hair in I think 3 distinct phases, about 3 months apart. It's truly properly shocking, that first hair fall. (And for me the second and third - I hope you don't get those too!) Please please be reassured that most of it grows back for most of us. It just takes a while and it's so worth it.

I am going to try and embrace it as much as possible since I chose this surgery but Im sure I will panic as much as I did last night lol. I am going to eat as much Protein as I can to try and slow it down which I am unsure of how much success i will have but I sure am gonna try

21 minutes ago, AmberFL said:

I am going to try and embrace it as much as possible since I chose this surgery but Im sure I will panic as much as I did last night lol. I am going to eat as much Protein as I can to try and slow it down which I am unsure of how much success i will have but I sure am gonna try

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it will make no difference how much Protein you eat in terms of how much hair you lose. It's like trying to Water a rose in a vase and expecting it to start growing into a big rose bush. The hair follicles have already gone dormant. Now all you can do is wait for the hair to fall out so that the follicles can re-enter a growth phase. The hair strands that have stopped won't start again.

This usually happens naturally in cycles so gradual and staggered that we never notice it. But surgery makes a bunch of hair stop at once (which it already did, months ago), and it is very noticeable until it all starts back up again. What protein and Vitamins will do for you now is make your regrowth strong and healthy. So definitely still take them.

It happened to me with BOTH surgeries. Started around month 3 after my sleeve and my once really thick hair shed so much it thinned out to the point that I needed to cut my hair and change how I styled it so you couldn't see how much it thinned out. It finally stopped at 9 months, but then at 13 months out I had my revision, and it started again at 2 months out. Here I am 11 months out from the revision and it finally stopped. I got another hair cut and this time decided no more straightening my hair, and now the shorter length and the waves and curls really help hide the additional thinning. Honestly, Biotin doesn't promote Hair growth or prevent shedding. It just makes the existing hair soft, shiny, and somewhat healthier. The Protein is what makes the biggest difference since hair needs it but can't produce it. There really isn't anything that will prevent or lessen the shedding. It just is what it is and has to run its course. I would use volumizing hair care products, have a shorter hair length, possibly style it differently, and just wait it out. That's really all you can do.

15 hours ago, Spinoza said:

Massive weight loss causes our non-essential body functions like Hair growth to stall completely. Body thinks - no calories - what can I ditch? I know - hair!

This cracked me up -- exactly what I needed this morning. XD

Side note: I feel like after my surgery (and maybe being more in tune with my body for once) I definitely refer to 'my body' as if it is a seperate entity. Wouldn't quite call it a nemesis or anything, but I feel like I'm constantly saying "Yeah, my body isn't liking this right now," or "my body is clearly saying no to that."

19 hours ago, NickelChip said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it will make no difference how much Protein you eat in terms of how much hair you lose. It's like trying to Water a rose in a vase and expecting it to start growing into a big rose bush. The hair follicles have already gone dormant. Now all you can do is wait for the hair to fall out so that the follicles can re-enter a growth phase. The hair strands that have stopped won't start again.

This usually happens naturally in cycles so gradual and staggered that we never notice it. But surgery makes a bunch of hair stop at once (which it already did, months ago), and it is very noticeable until it all starts back up again. What Protein and Vitamins will do for you now is make your regrowth strong and healthy. So definitely still take them.

Thats encouraging, I am doing all the things I can to keep it up. I go back to my hairstylist in August which would be at about 6months so by then (fingers crossed) the shedding slows down and we can we figure out a hair style that looks good. I am just not coping with it well. I will get over it and embrace it. Just right now I cant lol

18 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

It happened to me with BOTH surgeries. Started around month 3 after my sleeve and my once really thick hair shed so much it thinned out to the point that I needed to cut my hair and change how I styled it so you couldn't see how much it thinned out. It finally stopped at 9 months, but then at 13 months out I had my revision, and it started again at 2 months out. Here I am 11 months out from the revision and it finally stopped. I got another hair cut and this time decided no more straightening my hair, and now the shorter length and the waves and curls really help hide the additional thinning. Honestly, Biotin doesn't promote Hair growth or prevent shedding. It just makes the existing hair soft, shiny, and somewhat healthier. The Protein is what makes the biggest difference since hair needs it but can't produce it. There really isn't anything that will prevent or lessen the shedding. It just is what it is and has to run its course. I would use volumizing hair care products, have a shorter hair length, possibly style it differently, and just wait it out. That's really all you can do.

I am looking at new hair cuts and go back to my hair lady in August. I am not her first bariatric client so she knows how to deal. Hoping I am not too fair gone where I have to go too short.

17 hours ago, AmberFL said:

I am looking at new hair cuts and go back to my hair lady in August. I am not her first bariatric client so she knows how to deal. Hoping I am not too fair gone where I have to go too short.

My hair was down to the middle of my back. It really looked terrible. Split ends, super dry and brittle, no shape, emphasized my scalp and the general thinning. After my surgery, I was nervous to go too short so I went to juuuuust below my shoulders. Looked good for about 6-8 weeks and then started to show the thinning and my scalp again. This time around, I cut my hair just ABOVE my shoulders and decided to stop straightening it. My natural waves came back in full force, which helped A LOT. And it's easier to maintain and doesn't look thin at all.

1.jpg

2.jpg