Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Question

I'm having the band on March 1. Here's my big concern that they can't really tell me about in my town because I'm one of the first four to get it done:

I'm a single Mom of a busy 21-month old little girl. The surgeon said I'll of course be able to lift her up "Uppie Mama" right after surgery (i.e., next day) but I wanted to hear from others who had had the surgery to find out how they have tolerated it and what the first few days after were like. Can you move? Work? Is there pain? How much?

Thanks!

GG

Gigi: I am 2-1/2 weeks post surgery. I probably would not have been able to lift anything as you are pretty sore the first few days, especially. Every time I would cough, I would hold a pillow to my belly because it hurt. It isn't a huge amount of pain but just really sore. I was on pain meds the first five days but it was mainly due to the extreme shoulder pain. I had shoulder pain like you wouldn't believe and that was most of my discomfort from the surgery. I was also really really drained and tired after surgery but I managed to work (self employed) but I work at home so I could take frequent breaks. I saw my doctor yesterday and asked him about lifting heavy objects if the band could be jarred and he said no. Right after surgery though, you will need to take it easy for at least a week. Hope that helps and good luck!

My younger daughter was just 28 months when I had my surgery, and I was nervous about the same thing. I found that she could sit on my lap--carefully--within a day or two, but I waited until two or three weeks to actually lift her up from the floor. I could carry her if someone handed her to me so I didn't have to bend.

All told, it really wasn't a problem except for the first week before my surgical staples were removed. Once they were out I just followed my body's cues.

Always take extra precautions when lifting. I'm always reminded of Donali, who hurt her port by reaching for something in her car. She reached, then reached harder, then gave a little bounce to reach even further, then OOPS, there went her port. She can tell you better. Let baby sit on your lap like Alex till your body tells you it's okay, but remember to go easy.

When I had my surgery, my youngest was 19 mths old. Like Alex said, I would sit down and let him crawl on my lap. The only extra tidbit I can add here is that before he would climb up, I would put a pillow over my belly (even a folded blanket would work) just incase there were little feet, hands or knees that unknowingly would push on something sore.

Good luck!

Thank you all so much. This sounds like I had better try and find someone to stay with me. It's almost impossible not to lift her out of her crib, in and out of the car for daycare etc. And I'm very short in the whole "support" department generally -- but that's a whole other story.... Thanks again.

You really could use someone staying with you. It will be very helpful. Just getting over the effects of anesthesia, lying down to rest if you want, running to the store for you if you need anything. If you're groggy from the pain meds. you'll know your daughter is fine. This is very temporary but you want to let your body heal well. Best of luck to you!

Guest mojjs

Gigi,

I had surgery on 11/9/05. I went back to work within a week. I was told no lifting for a few weeks.

The pillow trick when coughing is one of the best pieces of advice I can give you. It helps more than most think it would.

Mistybreezes,

I can relate about the shoulder pain. I asked my doctor about it. I told him it hurt worse than the incision. He told me it was because there is a muscle that runs down and connects to the diaphram which is where the surgery obviously is. I took meds in the hospital so I could rest and start recovering but I never took any meds they sent home. I will save them I guess for a rainy day.

Mojjs

I was able to lift my little one the night of my surgery. I went in at 7:00 in the moring and I was home by 5:00 p.m. same day. I just made certain that the staples were covered with bandaids or gauze so they didn't catch on any thing. I asl did not have to take any pain medication so that helped me be alert for the kids. My mom did come to help drive them to school for two days because I was not allowed to drive for two days after the surgery othr than that everything else was easy.

Good luck and let us know how you do.