Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today is day one of two of liquids for me. It’s 6:00pm and I am noticing a significant drop in energy. I have been going all day and accomplished a lot but I just like hit a wall and dropped. I wanted to pack my hospital bag tonight but I am pooped. It’s mostly done anyways, I will do it first thing tomorrow if I don’t get a second wind.

Posted (edited)

Awake. Still In a bit of pain though. A lot more than with the sleeve. They ended Up giving me morphine and I got some sleep. Dr woke me up and I asked him my main. questions. He is so nice. Nurse seems to be good too so far. Haven’t tried to walk yet. Not sure how that’s gonna go since I can’t move my torso. I woke up with a binder on which helps alot cause they undid it a couple of times to check and I was thankful when they put it back. I am still on oxygen and supposed to be sipping my little cups every 15 minutes and using the spirometer. It’s sucking not blowing to raise the llittle ball and the other thing which is hard to explain. We will go for a walk around 5 he said before my next pain meds. Ooh and they have leg things on me that inflate like a blood pressure cup but looser every minute or so. So just sipping my Water and eating my ice chips in between.

Edited by ShoppGirl

So very glad things went well for you and that both the doctor and nurse are doing their bit for you. Just take it steady and I hope your walk goes smoothly!

43 minutes ago, MrsFitz said:

So very glad things went well for you and that both the doctor and nurse are doing their bit for you. Just take it steady and I hope your walk goes smoothly!

Thanks. He came early and I just got back from the walk. Getting out of and back in bed was the worst part but it wasn’t intolerable. I was going to put my pajama pants on but thought about the leg circulating things and decided that then second gown worn backwards would Be better.

Glad things have gone well so far. The sucking not blowing the spirometer confusion I think is pretty wide spread. We thought you had to blow for years before a nurse told us. 😁😁. Oh those inflating leg things that gently pulse to keep your blood pumping to avoid clots are wonderful. They felt so soothing. Will you be heading home tomorrow?

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

Glad things have gone well so far. The sucking not blowing the spirometer confusion I think is pretty wide spread. We thought you had to blow for years before a nurse told us. 😁😁. Oh those inflating leg things that gently pulse to keep your blood pumping to avoid clots are wonderful. They felt so soothing. Will you be heading home tomorrow?

They said two night but I am drinking and waking on may own. I would rather stay here rhe second night because I don’t think they can send me home with morphine and getting up just to the bathroom is hard right now. I am doing it without assistance but after just that I’m in pain and that's with the morphine. I don’t even want to imagine it without. Plus if I am going to have a leak I would rather be here.

Isn’t it weird the difference in recovery. Last time I was up and doing everything for myself the same day. This time, same preop and same dr and I’m in pain still on day 2. I don’t junk it’s gas pain either because I haven’t tooted once. They did also take my gallbladder so perhaps that’s the difference.

On 8/5/2024 at 2:48 PM, Ukalliq said:

I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but the diarrhea thing is real! I basically have not had a solid poop in four years. WARNING, discussion of poop ahead, highlight if you want to read it: It ranges from slightly softer than normal to pea Soup texture, depending on what I have eaten recently. If I've eaten anything with a lot of fat, there will also be separated oily...gunk...coming out too. farting has increased as well. From my understanding, your body does not have the chance to fully digest all the food you eat since it "skips" 2/3 of your small intestine. Water, fat, and gas that would normally be re-absorbed during the digestive process makes it all the way through. But, it doesn't really bother me. You know how if you have diarrhea because you're sick or have food poisoning you also feel crampy and nauseated? And you have to stay on the toilet for a long time? It's not like that, at least for me. I poop a normal amount and it's not urgent or painful, it's just runny. Sometimes I notice undigested food more than before surgery. I remember the smell being pretty bad immediately after surgery. In addition to regular stinky poop smell it almost smelled rotten and chemical-like. That doesn't happen any more unless I eat something REALLY stupid (vacation - many sugary cocktails. . . I regret nothing!) Usually it just stinks the normal amount 🙂

END OF POOP TALK

This was infinitely helpful information! Thank you for letting me know what to expect, it eases my mind somewhat. I'm still leaning toward Constipation and I was super nervous about taking anything to prompt what I thought might be an unending set of circumstances.

On 8/8/2024 at 12:58 AM, ShoppGirl said:

Isn’t it weird the difference in recovery. Last time I was up and doing everything for myself the same day. This time, same preop and same dr and I’m in pain still on day 2. I don’t junk it’s gas pain either because I haven’t tooted once. They did also take my gallbladder so perhaps that’s the difference.

Congratulations and I wish you a complete recovery soon!Plus,you are very lucky they removed your gallbladder,before it starts giving problems.In your case,witch common channel length was decided?I had the appointment with the surgeon today,he told me that the length of my common channel will be 275 cm(I 100% agree),when he start the surgery first check the sleeve and if necessary to resize he will do it.The surgery will be laparoscopic and will take 30 to 45 minutes.Tomorrow the patient advocate is going to call me for the next steps.Good luck!

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Rob Nissam said:

Congratulations and I wish you a complete recovery soon!Plus,you are very lucky they removed your gallbladder,before it starts giving problems.In your case,witch common channel length was decided?I had the appointment with the surgeon today,he told me that the length of my common channel will be 275 cm(I 100% agree),when he start the surgery first check the sleeve and if necessary to resize he will do it.The surgery will be laparoscopic and will take 30 to 45 minutes.Tomorrow the patient advocate is going to call me for the next steps.Good luck!

Thanks. I had my one week post op today and the pathology came back and I did in fact have gall stones. My surgeon did not discuss the channel length with me. Nor did he give me the option to resize my sleeve. He believes that the risks are too great for the difference it would make for me but he did also do several tests to get a good picture of my sleeve before we landed on the SADI as opposed to the bypass. Perhaps if my sleeve was larger he would have steered me towards the bypass. My surgery was robotic this time my sleeve was just laparoscopic I’m curious now what my channel length is. Not that I really know what would better one way or another.

So it turns out that my pain was almost entirely from gas because I was in a great deal of it until the morning of day when I finally passed a lot of gas and with each time I felt more and more relief. I did walk quite a bit but in retrospect I would’ve walked even more if I had known how much better that toot was going to make me feel. I walked everytime I got up anyways, like to pee brush my teeth or when they woke me up in the middle of the night even.

I finally pressed the issue that they switch out my IV pole machine thing. Mine had a very weak battery and even being unhooked that short time while I walked it depleted it so much that it set off alarms they had to come shut off. It was super annoying for them as well and I felt like they were acting annoyed with me as if it was my fault for calling them rather than just accepting that beeping going on all day and night. I am a super light sleeper and it went off other times too so I finally said don’t you have other patients that don’t have to unhook it so many times a day that you could switch with mine. They did and we were all happier for it.

Anyways, grab that iv pile and walk walk walk. It doesn’t matter how fast you go, just that you do it. And if you have to toot or belch do not hold it in no matter what. I don’t care who is on the room. Get it out and explain later. Although the doctors and nurses should understand anyways. That was really tough for me but after the relief the first one brought I didn’t care anymore. 😆

I forget. Do you have your date Yet??

Edited by ShoppGirl

9 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I forget. Do you have your date Yet??

Not yet.

My surgery was robotic this time my sleeve was just laparoscopic I’m curious now what my channel length is. Not that I really know what would better one way or another.

The range of common channel length is 200 to 300 cm,we agree in 275 cm.

Anyways, grab that iv pile and walk walk walk. It doesn’t matter how fast you go, just that you do it.

Walking is the best,with or without any surgery;swimming is another good option.Start to enjoy your new life,you deserve it.

11 hours ago, Rob Nissam said:

Walking is the best,with or without any surgery;swimming is another good option.Start to enjoy your new life,you deserve it.

I've still been lurking around over here! I can't wait to be able to get in the Water and swim; I feel like they told me I had to wait 4 -6 weeks until I can swim? I'm going to revisit that with them, because that pushes into the end of swim season :(

1 minute ago, Hiddenroses said:

I've still been lurking around over here! I can't wait to be able to get in the Water and swim; I feel like they told me I had to wait 4 -6 weeks until I can swim? I'm going to revisit that with them, because that pushes into the end of swim season :(

It seems like with my sleeve it was a pretty long too. I didn’t ask this time because I don’t have a pool anymore. I personally would be pretty skeptical to go into a public one with any type of incision that wasn’t 100% healed. If you really wanted to go somewhere you could consider cooling off in the shower though. I used to do that at the ocean just because I don’t like going in. I guess it doesn’t really help in terms of actual swimming but it’s something.