Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does a typical day of eating and acitivity look like to you?

Posted (edited)

I love to see what people typically eat in a day.

I am 8.5 months post op. I've trying to maintain but still losing (eating around 1300 calories a day). Working out 4/5 times a week. Pilates, weight training, walking/jogging and some plyos for cardio.

A typical day would be:

Pre-breakfast: an oat milk flat white (I can't have anything before my coffee).

Breakfast (mind you, was never a breakfast eater before but now I need to eat in the late morning otherwise I feel famished): 1 Protein toast with lite cheese, 3 turkey breast slices OR 1 egg and 1 egg white omlette OR light halloumi, with some light mayo/pesto, lettuce and jalapenos. Some days I can eat that in one sitting, some days I need an hour to finish this portion.

snack 1: fruit, Novo protein chips and a zero iced tea (over the course of 2 hours)

Lunch: A chicken salad with baby spinach/arugula, cucumbers, bell peppers, pomegranate seeds and feta cheese. No dressing.

Snack 2: 5 Sugar Free Chocolate almonds OR a square of 80% dark chocolate. Occasionally another oat flat white

Snack 3: a handful of roasted almonds or cashews

Dinner: I eat the exact same food pre WLS and what I make for the family sans the carbs most of the time. our dinners are usually elaborate. Protein and Veg so smash burgers (I wrap mine with lettuce but sneak one or two sweet potato fries), Big mac tacos (I use mission low carb mini tortillas), Marry me chicken, steaks, salmon poke bowls, Thai spicy basil chicken, ceviche, stuffed poussins, enchiladas (low carb), soy glazed chicken, etc... it's different every day.

Dessert: Chocolate protein ball, or any other healthy dessert I've made (protein cheesecake, protein brownies)

My portions are very small though, and it feels I'm eating all day.

On weekends I surprisingly eat less, skip breakfast and go longer hours between my meals, but I do eat out and have a little fun with carbs (sushi, noodles, a little bread).

Edited by Lilia_90

9 hours ago, Lilia_90 said:

I love to see what people typically eat in a day.

I am 8.5 months post op. I've trying to maintain but still losing (eating around 1300 calories a day). Working out 4/5 times a week. Pilates, weight training, walking/jogging and some plyos for cardio.

A typical day would be:

Pre-breakfast: an oat milk flat white (I can't have anything before my coffee).

Breakfast (mind you, was never a Breakfast eater before but now I need to eat in the late morning otherwise I feel famished): 1 Protein toast with lite cheese, 3 turkey breast slices OR 1 egg and 1 egg white omlette OR light halloumi, with some light mayo/pesto, lettuce and jalapenos. Some days I can eat that in one sitting, some days I need an hour to finish this portion.

snack 1: fruit, Novo Protein chips and a zero iced tea (over the course of 2 hours)

Lunch: A chicken salad with baby spinach/arugula, cucumbers, bell peppers, pomegranate seeds and feta cheese. No dressing.

snack 2: 5 Sugar Free Chocolate almonds OR a square of 80% dark chocolate. Occasionally another oat flat white

Snack 3: a handful of roasted almonds or cashews

Dinner: I eat the exact same food pre WLS and what I make for the family sans the carbs most of the time. our dinners are usually elaborate. Protein and Veg so smash burgers (I wrap mine with lettuce but sneak one or two sweet potato fries), Big mac tacos (I use mission low carb mini tortillas), Marry me chicken, steaks, salmon poke bowls, Thai spicy basil chicken, ceviche, stuffed poussins, enchiladas (low carb), soy glazed chicken, etc... it's different every day.

Dessert: chocolate protein ball, or any other healthy dessert I've made (protein cheesecake, protein brownies)

My portions are very small though, and it feels I'm eating all day.

On weekends I surprisingly eat less, skip breakfast and go longer hours between my meals, but I do eat out and have a little fun with carbs (sushi, noodles, a little bread).

this is great!! I am now eating 1500-1600 calories a day, I tried to keep it at around 1200-1300 and there was just no way my body was fatigued and mad at me lol I guess what I learned about this journey, is there is no right way, its what our body likes!!

that chicken salad sounds YUMMY!! the dessert too. One thing I have noticed that I have no given up my Desserts LOL

what i eat varies greatly day to day so i don't really have a "typical" menu of eating.

food:

but i do generally "eat all day" starting around 12-1pm and eat something or other every hour or so until about 7-8pm. what it is depends on where i am, what i'm doing, who's with me, what's in the fridge, how lazy i am, etc. ha! though there are days that i dont eat anything at all until 6 pm because i got distracted or just forgot. when i do eat, i generally eat about 2000-2400 cals (when i'm tracking).

activity:

i do some sort of dedicated exercise every day, for at LEAST 60 mins, but usually more: i go to hot yoga every day for 1 hour (a couple days a week i go for 2 hours); i do pilates 2 x 60 mins a week; run 5K 1-2x a week, rock climbing 2x a week (i go for an 90 mins or so but am only actively climbing for maybe 20 mins...rock climbing is EXHUASTING...it mostly resting, lol). plus i do other non-regular activity: walking, hiking, swimming, dancing, volleyball, tennis etc, etc....

38 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

what i eat varies greatly day to day so i don't really have a "typical" menu of eating.

food:

but i do generally "eat all day" starting around 12-1pm and eat something or other every hour or so until about 7-8pm. what it is depends on where i am, what i'm doing, who's with me, what's in the fridge, how lazy i am, etc. ha! though there are days that i dont eat anything at all until 6 pm because i got distracted or just forgot. when i do eat, i generally eat about 2000-2400 cals (when i'm tracking).

activity:

i do some sort of dedicated exercise every day, for at LEAST 60 mins, but usually more: i go to hot yoga every day for 1 hour (a couple days a week i go for 2 hours); i do pilates 2 x 60 mins a week; run 5K 1-2x a week, rock climbing 2x a week (i go for an 90 mins or so but am only actively climbing for maybe 20 mins...rock climbing is EXHUASTING...it mostly resting, lol). plus i do other non-regular activity: walking, hiking, swimming, dancing, volleyball, tennis etc, etc....

damnnnnn!! I love all that activity! how do you fit it into your day?! I sometimes have to do weights in the morning before work, run home get me and the kids ready and all the things then run on my lunch just to get my 60 min of working out in lol! most of the time I do everything in one shot but there are times where the day just doesn't allow me. lol Rock climbing sounds rad! That has got to be one of hellova a shoulder, tricep and bicep workout!

20 hours ago, AmberFL said:

damnnnnn!! I love all that activity! how do you fit it into your day?! I sometimes have to do weights in the morning before work, run home get me and the kids ready and all the things then run on my lunch just to get my 60 min of working out in lol! most of the time I do everything in one shot but there are times where the day just doesn't allow me. lol Rock climbing sounds rad! That has got to be one of hellova a shoulder, tricep and bicep workout!

im retired and all my kids are grown so i've gots lots of time on my hands lol.

i recently took up (indoor) rock climbing regularly earlier this year due to Mr.'s influence (he loves to climb and goes maybe 3-4 times a week), so i go with him more often now. i dabbled in climbing and bouldering before, but more as a fun occasional activity...these days though its more "serious"...i have my own gear now: no more rentals for me! lol

and yeah its a workout alright. but not just upper body, there's a ton of leg work involved too. really, its a full body workout, back, core, butt, jeez even my fingers and toes.

but its super fun, and very accomplishment-feeling when you successfully hit the top.

p.s. im actually on vacay now and will be climbing my first ever "real" rocks (i.e., an actual outdoor mountain lol) this weekend...and pretty excited!

13 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

im retired and all my kids are grown so i've gots lots of time on my hands lol.

i recently took up (indoor) rock climbing regularly earlier this year due to Mr.'s influence (he loves to climb and goes maybe 3-4 times a week), so i go with him more often now. i dabbled in climbing and bouldering before, but more as a fun occasional activity...these days though its more "serious"...i have my own gear now: no more rentals for me! lol

and yeah its a workout alright. but not just upper body, there's a ton of leg work involved too. really, its a full body workout, back, core, butt, jeez even my fingers and toes.

but its super fun, and very accomplishment-feeling when you successfully hit the top.

p.s. im actually on vacay now and will be climbing my first ever "real" rocks (i.e., an actual outdoor mountain lol) this weekend...and pretty excited!

you are living the life that I am working towards! have fun!!

Interesting question!

I don't have a ton of routine when it comes to meals, with the possible exception of Breakfast. Most days I eat a yogurt parfait with Greek yogurt, fresh berries & Protein boosted Kind brand granola. That said, I'm not opposed to other things like banana nut pancakes (a favorite), or even cold pizza on occasion!

lunch is most often leftovers from dinner since we still haven't figured out how to cook 1.5 meals (half for me, whole for my wife). Dinner is super varied. We both like to cook and like good food, so it might be just about anything. That said, I have found that I just don't enjoy big slabs of meat anymore. We do occasionally have red meat, but it's probably once a week or less. I'd say we have seafood based dinners 3-4 times a week and 1-2 vegetarian meals per week. I also eat a lot more Beans than I used to.

Overall, I don't focus much on macros. It's more about eating a variety of healthy foods and enjoying what little I can eat.

As far as activity, there is no typical day. It can vary from nothing at all (I do one dedicated rest day a week), to running 12-14 miles or more on my long run day. In a typical week, I run 30-40 miles (my main sport), but I also do strength training a couple days a week and do a little bit of cross training either on the bike or on a stationary rower. Later in the year I'm thinking of starting a marathon training block. If so, I'll be increasing my mileage up into the 50-60 MPW range.

I think one of the main reasons my diet may differ from the "typical" post WLS diet is because of the high activity level I have. I just wouldn't be physically able to do that volume of running without eating a lot more carbs to fuel my runs. In fact, getting enough calories is my current challenge, not getting too many. That's another topic for another day however!

25 minutes ago, SpartanMaker said:

Interesting question!

I don't have a ton of routine when it comes to meals, with the possible exception of Breakfast. Most days I eat a yogurt parfait with Greek yogurt, fresh berries & Protein boosted Kind brand granola. That said, I'm not opposed to other things like banana nut pancakes (a favorite), or even cold pizza on occasion!

lunch is most often leftovers from dinner since we still haven't figured out how to cook 1.5 meals (half for me, whole for my wife). dinner is super varied. We both like to cook and like good food, so it might be just about anything. That said, I have found that I just don't enjoy big slabs of meat anymore. We do occasionally have red meat, but it's probably once a week or less. I'd say we have seafood based dinners 3-4 times a week and 1-2 vegetarian meals per week. I also eat a lot more Beans than I used to.

Overall, I don't focus much on macros. It's more about eating a variety of healthy foods and enjoying what little I can eat.

As far as activity, there is no typical day. It can vary from nothing at all (I do one dedicated rest day a week), to running 12-14 miles or more on my long run day. In a typical week, I run 30-40 miles (my main sport), but I also do strength training a couple days a week and do a little bit of cross training either on the bike or on a stationary rower. Later in the year I'm thinking of starting a marathon training block. If so, I'll be increasing my mileage up into the 50-60 MPW range.

I think one of the main reasons my diet may differ from the "typical" post WLS diet is because of the high activity level I have. I just wouldn't be physically able to do that volume of running without eating a lot more carbs to fuel my runs. In fact, getting enough calories is my current challenge, not getting too many. That's another topic for another day however!

WOW! 12-14MILES?! I am toast after 3miles a day LOL but I am trying to build up slowly, its great cardio and I feel great afterwards. The whole calorie macro deficit confuses me. I feel like I eat plenty and enough to sustain my workouts that I do a day, I am not hungry after my day but super duper hungry when I wake up.

Do you eat seafood and vegetarian by choice or is it because your stomach can do poultry or red meat? I know pork sits really heavy and I have eliminated that my diet completely- its not work the pain lol

26 minutes ago, AmberFL said:

Do you eat seafood and vegetarian by choice or is it because your stomach can do poultry or red meat? I know pork sits really heavy and I have eliminated that my diet completely- its not work the pain lol

Originally it was partly that meat didn't sit well in my tummy and I had a couple of bad experiences, so I started to avoid it. Since I don't miss it, I just don't add it to the menu much anymore. Frankly as this point it may be more of a conscious decision based on trying to eat a healthy diet. I wouldn't go so far as to say I've transitioned to a pescatarian diet since I do sometimes still eat red meat or chicken, but it's probably only 2-3 times a month at this point.

37 minutes ago, SpartanMaker said:

Originally it was partly that meat didn't sit well in my tummy and I had a couple of bad experiences, so I started to avoid it. Since I don't miss it, I just don't add it to the menu much anymore. Frankly as this point it may be more of a conscious decision based on trying to eat a healthy diet. I wouldn't go so far as to say I've transitioned to a pescatarian diet since I do sometimes still eat red meat or chicken, but it's probably only 2-3 times a month at this point.

Makes plenty sense!