Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I'm finally stuck........

I guess I just need a little pep talk. Honestly, I've been so lucky with the lap band. No complications and weight loss has been great (87 lbs 6 1/2 months).But for the last 5 weeks, I am so stuck between 216 and 220. I'm positive that I am following the rules, joined a gym and feel great. I guess that I'm scared of failure now. That somehow my body has maxed out at 87 and won't let me go any further. I still need to lose at least 50 pounds, and like so many previous diet attempts, I can lose a certain amount, feel comfortable (not happy) with my size and then, WHAM..here comes all the weight back. I mean, how long can a plateau last? I feel like, well if I'm following the rules and not losing, I may as well just eat what I feel like! I know, it's attitude adjustment time. Can SOMEBODY please help????

Cindy,

Its either time for a fill or an attitude adjustment. If you are doing all the things that you are supposed to and still not losing weight, get the fill. For some reason us folks who start at over 300 pounds seem to get stuck at the low 200 range. The body rebels for a while, needs time to accept the new weight and then continues on with the losing if you are following bandster protocol. Track your calorie intake and make sure you are getting enough Protein. I was stuck in the 207-210 range for a long while and now I am stuck in the 180's. I noticed that I was eating just a little more, a litttle more everyday without really even noticing. I also slowed down on my exercise and that hurt my progress. Hang in there and dont be a martyr if you really need a fill!!!!

Babs in TX

334/184/170

6/23/03

Thanks Babs. I think just knowing that others have been stuck, then continue on their merry way to their goal will help. But, you could be right, for some reason, maybe I am in denial about a fill. I'm at 2.5 in a 4.0 band. I mean, my insurance pays for the fill, really no reason not to do it, guess I will make an appointment now. Goll, I feel better already! :cheeky

Excellent work Cindy!

How long have you been going to the gym? Are you doing strength training? It is possible that you aren't actually at a plateau, but you are busy building muscle. Muscle weighs much more than fat. This fall I gained around 15 pounds. Yeah, I know, YIKES!!! However, the even with gaining that weight, my SIZE didn't change, which means that I put on 15 pounds of muscle.

From what I have learned here on these boards, some plateaus last a month, some last several months while your body is getting used to it's new size and shape. It is possible that your body and mind need this time to readjust to NOW...

87 lbs in 6 1/2 months! Holy Cow! That is great! you have done much better than the 8-10 pounds per month average! That's just over what, 13 pounds a month! How long has it been since you were at this size??? You have done some really tremendous work, and you should be proud of where you are!

Cindy -

It's time to start looking at averages, and to really sit and meditate about how the changes you are making today are "for LIFE" - not just for "LIFE" in a long term sense of the word, but for life - in the living sense of the word.

If you average out your weightloss over the past 6.5 months, you are waaaay ahead of the curve.

AND... Sorry to say, the human body has not read up on math - so the simple equation of weightloss means nothing to it. Your body knows what it is doing - yes, a 5 week plateau is normal. What are you going to do when you are at goal weight, and you are nothing BUT a plateau for the rest of your life???? Are you going to stop eating right and stop exercising?? ARE you?!?! Because if THAT was your plan, you might as well have been dieting all this time. Because guess what? As soon as you stop doing what you're doing to lose/maintain weight, the weight is going to creep back on.

You do NOT need a fill unless you are getting hungry sooner than 3-4 hours after eating a decent meal of hard Proteins and vegetables, or the nutritious meals that you are eating are in such quantity as to provide more calories than you need.

If you have kicked up your exercise program, I bet you are losing inches even if you are not losing "weight". Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less room.

And it is possible that if you kicked up your exercise program, your body may need a few more calories to keep losing.

But this attitude:

I feel like, well if I'm following the rules and not losing, I may as well just eat what I feel like!

is what helps keep MO people fat. Living a healthy lifestyle HAS to be enough in and of itself, regardless of weightloss. If you do not believe that to the very core of your being, then you are missing the whole point of the band being for LIFE - in every sense of the word.

Donali, your words hit me like a brick. How much more true could they be?

No wonder I always fail. Yeah, I understand I am way ahead of average, and maybe some bandsters would be envious, but I suppose it's my attitude that sucks. I knew that I would be able to count on you guys to help me thru before I began my self sabotage.

In the last 15 years, I was this size once for maybe a month, and weighed 158 for like a day about 10 years ago, and then proceeded to my largest size of 304 in July 04. Donali, a plateau for life, OMG, I don't even know how to stay at a weight for a day. I definately have some homework ahead of me.

People around me either don't have a weight problem, are in denial of their weight problem or just offer their two cents when they haven't walked near my shoes. Being able to get constructive advice and point blank honesty at LBT from people who have been there is what I so very much need. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I really need you guys.

Somtimes the start of an exercise program will do this to you. I know it doesfor me. My body retains Water when I work out..also if you have really started to exercise, muscle weighs more then fat which could be why the scales have slowed down, but you are most likely losing inches and toning so do not get discouraged. You seem to be doing something right 87 lbs in 6.5 months. The scales will start moving again :)

Cindy, you've lost 87 lbs. in 6.5 months. I've lost half that in 5.5 months and I'm jumping for joy! Please don't use the word "failure," even if it's just to voice your fears, when you have accomplished so much already. As long as you're burning more calories than you're consuming, you'll start losing again. If your insurance pays for the fill, you might as well see the doc to get checked. Meanwhile, consider your ass kicked by one bandster who thinks you've done amazingly well so far and should give yourself a break.

-Zoe- Ouch! But I definately needed that :)

-Jack, Michelle & Becky- Thanks for the kind and motivating words. It's just so hard sometimes because I've failed so many times at losing, it's hard to get my fat head to believe this is the last time, I will succeed!

Without this board, I most likely would have went home last night, put myself in the pity pot, and ate a boatload of bad stuff. But, LBT really is just as useful as the band itself, and all your voices in my head steered me to stay on track and get my butt to the gym. So today, I woke up feeling refreshed and a bit more positive. THANK YOU.