Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

37 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

Ugh. Getting back on track after vacation is harder than I thought it would be. I have no desire to cook and I'm craving Snacks and sweets like crazy because I know they're in the house. I had done a thorough job of getting all the Snacks and candy out of the cupboards leading up to surgery, but with the kids home all day for the summer, I've bought some things for them, and we also brought home stuff from our trip. Resisting the temptation when it's just in the next room while I'm working is HARD, especially because having a snack was often the way I would deal with avoiding a project for work that I didn't want to do (I work from home). Add on top of that the beginning of hunger returning and an increase in how much I can comfortably eat in one sitting and it's a battle. Plus the weather has been miserably hot so if I don't get out to walk first thing in the morning, it's not happening. Needless to say, my weight has bounced up a pound this week. So frustrated!

That's all understandable! At least your eyes are open, and you are frustrated. Hopefully, that will get you back on track. I'm so afraid of getting to where I can eat more. It seems that I'm able to eat just a bit more each week. I remember when I could only eat half a bag of Quest chips. Now, I can easily polish off the bag. As much as I dislike being nauseous, it does keep me from eating much. However, even when I think I've eaten a lot I'm still under 1,000 calories. It's funny what now feels like a lot!

You've got this! I would get the junk out of the house and get things for the kids that they enjoy but aren't tempting to you. Keep some cut-up fruit and veggies in the fridge for easy grabbing when you need/want something.

Are you all still tracking all that you eat? I keep thinking maybe I can stop, but then I feel like I need to be accountable and I like to know how much Protein and how many calories I'm getting.

Also, has anyone made cottage cheese flatbread? I saw a recipe for it on TikTok. It's super easy, and they said it was good. I'm going to try it tonight. It's just cottage cheese, egg, and seasoning! I think I'm going to make it and wrap up a vegan hot dog for dinner.

I keep a mental tally of Protein each day but I haven't been writing it down. However, I have an appointment with my dietician on the 23rd so I think I will write everything down for at least a week before so I can bring it in with me to discuss. I always wear my Fitbit, so I have data for exercise and sleep, but obviously having the nutrition info is important. And it would help with accountability and resisting temptation, too.

I haven't tried the cottage cheese flatbread but I've seen the videos and am intrigued!

We sure have gotten quiet. Busy summer I'm guessing. Hope you are all doing well! I was wondering if any of you would like to keep in touch, as a group or individually, via Discord or WhatsApp? I'm better at seeing and replying on those vs forums.

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, LisaCaryl said:

We sure have gotten quiet. Busy summer I'm guessing. Hope you are all doing well! I was wondering if any of you would like to keep in touch, as a group or individually, via Discord or WhatsApp? I'm better at seeing and replying on those vs forums. I've lost about 58 lbs since surgery, overall 136 lbs. Which is good, but being stuck around the same weight for more than 6 weeks is concerning. I have follow up 6 mo ths appointments next month. Hopefully they have some answers or I may be at my weight. But it seems odd that I would already be at a maintenance weight. I feel very good, but I think I should lose another 15-20 lbs. and get under 200. I feel like if I eat less than what I am now, that it won't be sustainable.

If there is a discord, I'll join it.

So, I'm staying between 225-228 lbs. I dropped to 221 a couple days ago. Only because I had a colonscopy and I was on a liquid diet for nearly 36 hrs. Otherwise, my weight hasn't moved in more than a month.

Edit*

Hit the send to fast 😃

To finish what I was writing, I shouldn't be at a maintenance weight, which is what it feels like since ive been in this weight range for 6 weeks or more. If I ate less than I do now, I don't think it would be sustainable. I have my 6 month post op appointments next month. Hopefully by then the scale moves a bit more. I was hoping to be at 200 lbs. Or less by the time I have knee surgery in October.

Edited by RonHall908

I would also join a Discord group if there was one!

I'm still struggling with consistency since returning from vacation. I had to dive back into work and household stuff immediately and my brain power doesn't seem to stretch as far as food prep and maintaining a schedule. I've been stuck between 186 and 187 for a few weeks now. And since my region has been under a heat advisory since last week, I haven't been getting my walks in at all.

I keep waiting for something new to report, but I still feel stuck. I will be taking 5-month photos in a few days, though. I missed my 4-month while on vacation, so I'm extra curious to compare this time to my before photos.

Ok so I made a Discord group for us. Here's the invite...

https://discord.gg/DGbkr4cM

Consider whether you want to invite others who aren't from this forum. I'm open to whatever you guys want to do! We can talk about it there :)

3 hours ago, RonHall908 said:

If there is a discord, I'll join it.

So, I'm staying between 225-228 lbs. I dropped to 221 a couple days ago. Only because I had a colonscopy and I was on a liquid diet for nearly 36 hrs. Otherwise, my weight hasn't moved in more than a month.

Edit*

Hit the send to fast 😃

To finish what I was writing, I shouldn't be at a maintenance weight, which is what it feels like since ive been in this weight range for 6 weeks or more. If I ate less than I do now, I don't think it would be sustainable. I have my 6 month post op appointments next month. Hopefully by then the scale moves a bit more. I was hoping to be at 200 lbs. Or less by the time I have knee surgery in October.

How did the prep for a colonoscopy go? I will have one in about 6 months and am super nervous about the prep. I've had many colonoscopies, so I'm not worried about that—just the prep with the new stomach!

I've heard that our final weight can't really be determined until we are about 18 months out from surgery. I've been hearing people on social media say they have hit stalls that last as long as 3-4 months. It will be interesting what they say at your 6 month appointment. I wouldn't worry about anything at this point. I'm sure it's frustrating! I'm addicted to seeing that scale move... even though I don't want to be!

3 hours ago, NickelChip said:

I would also join a Discord group if there was one!

I'm still struggling with consistency since returning from vacation. I had to dive back into work and household stuff immediately and my brain power doesn't seem to stretch as far as food prep and maintaining a schedule. I've been stuck between 186 and 187 for a few weeks now. And since my region has been under a heat advisory since last week, I haven't been getting my walks in at all.

I keep waiting for something new to report, but I still feel stuck. I will be taking 5-month photos in a few days, though. I missed my 4-month while on vacation, so I'm extra curious to compare this time to my before photos.

It's been crazy hot here too! I hate having to go outside. Don't you have a "walking pad?" I think you were the one who talked about it, and that made me get one. I've been walking on mine every other day or so since my knee is feeling better. I can only do 20 minutes, but that's better than nothing!

It sounds like a few of us are stalling scale-wise. I've been moving down slowly and will take that! But hearing about you all, I'm expecting a stall too. On the positive side, I've been slowly going through my closet, and it's been fun! I have "new old clothes" that I didn't even realize were in there. Today I said to my husband, "Like my new pants?" He said, "Oh where did you get those" Me, "in the closet and I don't know how long I've had them or where they came from, but they fit, and I like them!" lol

I do have a walking pad! Unfortunately, it's been so hot in my house, I haven't wanted to use it. I only have window units for a/c and the heat and humidity have been in the mid-90s, so it's very hard to keep things cool. But I'm going to go to the mall to go walking tonight, and tomorrow it's supposed to be in the low 60s in the morning.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, LisaCaryl said:

How did the prep for a colonoscopy go? I will have one in about 6 months and am super nervous about the prep. I've had many colonoscopies, so I'm not worried about that—just the prep with the new stomach!

I've heard that our final weight can't really be determined until we are about 18 months out from surgery. I've been hearing people on social media say they have hit stalls that last as long as 3-4 months. It will be interesting what they say at your 6 month appointment. I wouldn't worry about anything at this point. I'm sure it's frustrating! I'm addicted to seeing that scale move... even though I don't want to be!

Well, it was a liter and a half of Fluid and I started the day before. I had to get down 3/4 of it that day and evening. Save a 1/4 of it for the next morning and drink the rest. I had to get up at 4 am in order to finish that 1/4 of it since my procedure was at 9 am. I had to stop drinking fluids by 6 am. I've not had any issues with liquids, so I'm not a good gauge on that. I typically get 96 ounces or more a day. So, I really didn't have any issues. Though, the taste was odd but they had a lime powder pack i could add. Which didn't help much.
The last time I had colonoscopy I was given a choice between having to drink more liquid and it being cheaper in cost, or I could take the 32 oz stuff that cost A lot more but not as much to drink. However the other drawback is that it was super charged how fast and violent everything moved. But this time I didn't have that option.

Edited by RonHall908

Officially 5 months post-op today. Here are some progress photos of today compared to two months ago (I missed my 4-month photos because I was on vacation) and to my highest weight, which is almost a year ago. I've been basically stalled for the past 4 weeks with only 2 lbs lost and a lot of bouncing up and down. With vacation, my good habits have slipped a bit. It's too easy to take "just a bite" of this, and also that, and maybe a "taste" of something else... to the point that it adds up way more than I think in a day. And I'm not back in the routine I was in before with walking every day. I have an appointment with my dietician on Tuesday and am hoping to get back on track this week. I still want to lose 25-30lbs so I can't lose focus!

Weight Comparison From Start to 5 months.png

Weight Comparison May to July.png

Feb 23

Hi all!

I'm finally on vaccation and wrapped up my job! It has been a hectic month to say the least, My feet barely touched the ground! I'll check in tomorrow and am looking forward to taking the time to read all of your updates....

1 hour ago, BlueParis said:

Hi all!

I'm finally on vaccation and wrapped up my job! It has been a hectic month to say the least, My feet barely touched the ground! I'll check in tomorrow and am looking forward to taking the time to read all of your updates....

To me, it always sounds like your feet are off the ground! You are quite the busy one! Have a fantastic vacation!!