Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

Sorry @BlueParis! Stalls suck balls! I hate them too. 😘

Does anyone use the Baritastic app to track food? I'm wondering if there's a way to copy one day's stuff to the next. I often eat the same thing and putting it all in again is frustrating, but I've not found a way to copy it over.

1 hour ago, LisaCaryl said:

Does anyone use the Baritastic app to track food? I'm wondering if there's a way to copy one day's stuff to the next. I often eat the same thing and putting it all in again is frustrating, but I've not found a way to copy it over.

I use it, this is probably the best way to show you. As far as copying straight over with a click I don't think it will do that. But, there's other ways to make it easy. This Youtube will show you.

1 hour ago, RonHall908 said:

I use it, this is probably the best way to show you. As far as copying straight over with a click I don't think it will do that. But, there's other ways to make it easy. This Youtube will show you.

Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, LisaCaryl said:

The easiest way for me to do that when tracking food is to go to "recent food" and then at the bottom of the screen, click "multi-add" - so you can click on everything at once.

1 minute ago, Alix2050 said:

The easiest way for me to do that when tracking food is to go to "recent food" and then at the bottom of the screen, click "multi-add" - so you can click on everything at once.

Oh cool... I never noticed that!

thank you!

How are you doing @Alix2050? You have been quiet.

1 minute ago, LisaCaryl said:

How are you doing @Alix2050? You have been quiet.

I'm doing well. I'm making steady progress and feeling more energetic every day. I'm still learning the boundaries of eating (food types or amounts), but luckily, I have not had the issues that others have described. I'm hoping that by my 4 month surgeverary date, I'll be below 200! (something I haven't seen in a decade!)

4 minutes ago, Alix2050 said:

I'm doing well. I'm making steady progress and feeling more energetic every day. I'm still learning the boundaries of eating (food types or amounts), but luckily, I have not had the issues that others have described. I'm hoping that by my 4 month surgeverary date, I'll be below 200! (something I haven't seen in a decade!)

Sounds good! I'm glad you aren't having the issues some of us are. It's really nice to hear that! Good luck on reaching that number!!! You can do it!

@Alix2050 You're almost there! Fingers crossed you make it below 200 this week!

1 hour ago, LisaCaryl said:

Thank you so much!

Wish I could have been more help. If figured the video would explain it better than I could. Speaking into the mic seems to be the easiest. Unless I'm having several different items, I'll just use the "Recent food" as Alix mentioned.

Posted (edited)

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend. Thank you all for your messages re my stall!

I'm still stalled ... no suprise there. I'm going to try and track what I'm eating this week as I haven't really been tracking at all. Just trying to be sensible and go with the flow. I'm still being very conciencious about everything I put in my mouth and reckon I'm averaging about 1200-1300 calories a day max. I know I could eat more Protein but as I eat so little meat its a bit complicated esp when I'm travelling. I hate Protein Shakes and anything with an artificial taste, I'm really not into processed foods. I do love carbs. I know what I'm eating is far from perfect but I'm also trying to "live" as normally as I can without getting ultra focused on food because

• 1) I just don't want to
  • 2) I know that it won't be substainable for me to track/only eat specific things/100% certain avoid things long term
  • 3) food is a real source of joy for me as is cooking. Cooking is my way of calming down and disconecting my brain after work but I'm an improvisation whats left on the fridge cook not a planning cook
  • 4) I've very scared of being too "strict" on food and ending up with a transfer addiction as I have a very addition prone personality and I already smoke (cigarettes daily and weed probably 2/3 times a month) and drink (much much less than before the surgery when I was drinking too much) and even though I haven't touched a Benzodiazepine (xanax) in 3 years and 8 months (go me 😌) I had a big enough issue with benzo abuse to have to take a month of work to come off them.

I'll try and track properly tomorrow and for a few days but for example today from memory I had ( I also had water)

Breakfast : 1/4 bagel with butter, coffee with semi skim milk

Mid Morning : 2x Coffee with semi skim milk

Lunch : Palm sized bit of omelette with courgette, red peppers, kale, onions, cheese, about two tablespoons grated carrot salad

Mid afternoon : Tea with semi skim milk and sweetener, bit of brie cheese about twice the size of my thumb

Supper : Palm sized bit of omelette with courgette, red peppers, kale, onions, cheese

Herbal tea

Before bed : About 4/5 teaspoons of vegan pannacotta (soy milk, sweetener, orange flower Water, cornstarch, pistachios, maple syrup)

Herbal tea

Edited by BlueParis

2 minutes ago, BlueParis said:

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend. Thank you all for your messages re my stall!

I'm still stalled ... no suprise there. I'm going to try and track what I'm eating this week as I haven't really been tracking at all. Just trying to be sensible and go with the flow. I'm still being very conciencious about everything I put in my mouth and reckon I'm averaging about 1200-1300 calories a day max. I know I could eat more Protein but as I eat so little meat its a bit complicated esp when I'm travelling. I hate Protein Shakes and anything with an artificial taste, I'm really not into processed foods. I do love carbs. I know what I'm eating is far from perfect but I'm also trying to "live" as normally as I can without getting ultra focused on food because I just don't want to because I know that it won't be substainable for me to track/only eat specific things/100% certain avoid things.

I'll try and track properly tomorrow and for a few days but for example today from memory I had ( I also had water)

Breakfast : 1/4 bagel with butter, coffee with semi skim milk

Mid Morning : coffee with semi skim milk

lunch : Palm sized bit of omelette with courgette, red peppers, kale, onions, cheese, about two tablespoons grated carrot salad

Mid afternoon : Tea with semi skim milk and sweetener, bit of brie cheese about twice the size of my thumb

Supper : Palm sized bit of omelette with courgetti, red peppers, kale, onions, cheese

Herbal tea

Before bed : About 4/5 teaspoons of vegan pannacotta (soy milk, orange flower Water, cornstarch, pistachios, maple syrup)

Calories wise, you seem to be getting enough. My calories range from 1200-1500. Looking at what you eat, I think you're where you should be. If you have a nutritionist that you can talk with, I'm sure they could point out if there's any issues with what you're doing. I think the stall is just one of those things that we have to deal with, no matter how well we do the right things for success.

Posted (edited)

I've listened to some podcasts on bariatric surgery. The one in particular I've just listened to a couple times is called "Former fat friends" I listened to their finale of season 1. There's some things they talk about that may help. I'm an audible junkie, I listen to podcasts and books while I work. So, I'm not sure how many platforms they are on. I think everyone can take something from that podcast.

Edited by RonHall908

@BlueParis depending how much milk you're using in tea and coffee, that's a decent source of Protein. I don't know if you have ultra-filtered milk available in France (in US, the brand is Fairlife, like the Protein Shakes, but it's just milk that has been filtered to lower carbs and amp up the protein, not supplemented like the shakes). I started buying Fairlife milk and make a 1L thermal container of hot tea every morning, with between 125 and 250ml of milk in it, so my morning tea alone gives me between 7 and 13g protein.

I would try adding a slice of smoked salmon to the bagel, but that's just because I love that combo. The omelet seems very healthy and the pannacotta sounds delicious. You might consider adding more beans/legumes to your rotation. I am getting so tired of meat. I've just ordered a vegan cookbook to help me discover new recipes that are based on plant Proteins (not the fake meat, processed plant products but real foods). Maybe bean Soups and stews, lentil curries? Your stall will break eventually, but in your case, because you're already at a "normal" BMI, it may be a lot harder and slower from here on out. Don't lose hope!

After barely losing weight the entire month of May, I'm losing at the quickest pace since surgery, 9 lbs in 16 days! That's been a real surprise. I am eyeing my next milestone, which is 5.6 lbs away, the point where I will cross from an "obesity" BMI into just the "overweight" category. I have never looked so forward to being called "overweight" in my life!

I'm also noticing I'm just not very interested in food. Even though I can technically eat a bit more now than in the beginning, I don't really want to. I'm not hungry and chewing is a chore. I'm sick of meat. I'm tired of thinking about protein. And while I do still enjoy going out for a meal, I am exhausted by looking at the plate and seeing 4 days' worth of food in front of me. I'll be going on a family summer vacation next week and have no idea what I'll manage to eat. We're going to amusement parks and Water parks, so the typical fare will be pizza and hot dogs, which sound terrible. I'm stocking up on Protein Bars, which I find a bit better than shakes, though not something I want in my diet normally. But better than a hot dog!

So if anyone has a favorite Protein Bar, especially one that won't melt in my bag on a hot day at an amusement park, please share!