Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port has flipped

Guest Lisa K

Guest Lisa K

I went in today for a fill after going a couple of weeks ago and not getting a fill because the port could not be located. So I went for a fluoroscope today and still couldn't get a fill. The surgeon informed me I would have to have surgery again that apparently the port is flipped and the sutures have torn away from the port. Has anyone else had this happen?

It has been an emotional roller coaster for the past two weeks as this would have been my first fill. I so want to fill the restriction again I can eat most anything and just have to use lots of willpower. I don't want to gain what I've lost so far, but haven't lost anything the last 2 weeks.

I recall Donali haveing her port flip and have heard of others. This should be a simple proceedure. Hang in there.

Keep us informed.

Lisa: First I am sorry your port has flipped. Second, it ain't no thang but a chicken wang. Chicken wing. FOOD!! OOPS got sidetracked. Seriously I had a port revision surgery when mine flipped. It was an outpatient procedure and I walked out of the recovery into the waiting car and slept the whole way home. It was some minor discomfort but NOTHING like the initial surgery. Couple of days of rest and I was good as new. And my port is soooooooo much easier to find now. They even used the original incision for the port placement. That was the only incision they had to make too. Mine was easy as Pie. PIE!! Darnit. Got sidetracked again. Gonna go drink some Water. YUM YUM!!

Lisa, do you remember doing anything that could have flipped it? Donali said she remembers overstretching to get something out of the car's backseat and felt a sharp pain. Good luck!

Hi

my port has flipped sideways so i have to have my fills with flouro as they have to palpate my tummy to get it into place so they can get a needle in.

I asked my surgeon if i would need to have it re-sited and he said no. He said even if it did a full flip over that his radiographers are experienced enough with banded patients to be able to manipulate it back for a fill.

I must admit that it was a bit uncomfortable when they were prodding and poking my tummy to move the port but i think i can cope with it as hopefully i wont need that many fills as my surgeon is quite aggressive with his fills.

hope you get it sorted out

love tracey

Hi Lisa -

My fill doctor also was able to manipulate my port back upside-right to give me my fill. I agree with Tracey that it was a creepy kind of feeling, but my port was SO uncomfortable the way it had flipped that once it was turned back over it was a huge relief. Unfortunately it wouldn't stay that way, so I had port revision surgery simply for pain relief.

My port revision was also done through the original port incision site - that in and of itself wasn't such a big deal, but the $$$ it cost me (self-pay) was.

I have heard that many of the European docs don't suture the port down at all. I would think that your doc should be able to manipulate it back upright, but if that is not the case, well I guess you have no choice but to have it surgically uprighted.

Once you get your fill any weight you might have gained in the meantime will disappear, so don't stress about that.

What a bummer!!!! Especially since you haven't even had your first fill! I hope all works out well for you. Good luck!!!

Guest Lisa K

Thank you all for your encouragement. I am scheduled for Feb. 25 to have the port put back in place. I am in hopes that my insurance will pay, but one way or another it has to be done. I've gone too far to turn back now. I don't remember doing anything too strenuous to cause the port to flip, but who knows - I can tell you I will be more aware in the future of any flips or things I do around the house or work.

The surgeon did try to manipulate the port back and stuck me about 8 times with a very long needle trying to get to the port. He had me on my side, pushing, and doing everything to get it into the port, but it was to no avail. So after the two past uncomfortable events of trying to get a fill, I am praying for easy fills from now on. I think I'll ask for a fill while he has me open, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for your support and encouraging words. You all are great!

Lisa: My insurance covered my port revision surgery cause my doc worded it the right way for the insurance to cover it. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Guest KarenD

Just wondering how everything came out for you? I hope everything is well>