Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling so depressed, is it due to serotonin levels?

I recently had the sleeve revision to gastric bypass and I have been going through so many emotions. First, I was really beating myself up about not losing what I thought I "should" be losing. Then I all of a sudden started to feel like my husbands extremely petite new assistant has the hots for him. I read texts... She was just too chummy for my liking but didnt even say anything that bad. Just a lot of LOL's after things that werent funny and asking for favors to fix her boat while she is a cheerleader. He doesnt respond at all the same way and is very short with his answers and they are all professional. And, he is not a cheat. I know that in my heart, but these emotions that I have are making feel worse about myself than ever before. I cry out of nowhere and have fabricated this potentional office romance and can't stop checking the call logs or texts. The one line stands out when he asked her what her jacket size was and her response was "well I am small all the way around but I guess I can take a medium for a jacket". Like just say medium!! I know the way that I am feeling has a lot to do with how I feel about myself and my own insecurities, but I dont know how to stop. Google also doesnt help.

I went for my follow-up today, I am 5 weeks out, and she said I was doing great. I asked her if it is common to have these waves of depression and anxiety hit out of nowhere. She said she has seem some patients with the issue and told me to try Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Mood+ Acidophilus Probiotic Supplement. She said sometimes with the bypass we are not getting enough serotonin in our systems and this could probably lift my mood. Just wondering if anyone else had any issues like this or if they are taking a supplement with serotonin? I also had a talk about what my expectations were for the surgery and how that could be affecting things. I am beating myself up because I am not seeing things drop as quickly as I thought they would and I am terrified this will be another bariatric sugery failure for me. I didnt realize that the weight loss wouldnt be as quick with a regular bypass before I had it. All of my other health issues seem to be getting better though, except my mental health haha.

1 hour ago, Daisy1210 said:

I recently had the sleeve revision to gastric bypass and I have been going through so many emotions. First, I was really beating myself up about not losing what I thought I "should" be losing. Then I all of a sudden started to feel like my husbands extremely petite new assistant has the hots for him. I read texts... She was just too chummy for my liking but didnt even say anything that bad. Just a lot of LOL's after things that werent funny and asking for favors to fix her boat while she is a cheerleader. He doesnt respond at all the same way and is very short with his answers and they are all professional. And, he is not a cheat. I know that in my heart, but these emotions that I have are making feel worse about myself than ever before. I cry out of nowhere and have fabricated this potentional office romance and can't stop checking the call logs or texts. The one line stands out when he asked her what her jacket size was and her response was "well I am small all the way around but I guess I can take a medium for a jacket". Like just say medium!! I know the way that I am feeling has a lot to do with how I feel about myself and my own insecurities, but I dont know how to stop. Google also doesnt help.

I went for my follow-up today, I am 5 weeks out, and she said I was doing great. I asked her if it is common to have these waves of depression and anxiety hit out of nowhere. She said she has seem some patients with the issue and told me to try Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Mood+ Acidophilus Probiotic Supplement. She said sometimes with the bypass we are not getting enough serotonin in our systems and this could probably lift my mood. Just wondering if anyone else had any issues like this or if they are taking a supplement with serotonin? I also had a talk about what my expectations were for the surgery and how that could be affecting things. I am beating myself up because I am not seeing things drop as quickly as I thought they would and I am terrified this will be another bariatric sugery failure for me. I didnt realize that the weight loss wouldnt be as quick with a regular bypass before I had it. All of my other health issues seem to be getting better though, except my mental health haha.

im 9 months out and have had several large traumatic events happen after surgery, and i feel like my anxiety medicine doesnt work anymore. I never consiidered the serotin component

2 minutes ago, heatherdbby said:

im 9 months out and have had several large traumatic events happen after surgery, and i feel like my anxiety medicine doesnt work anymore. I never consiidered the serotin component

I just ordered off of Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it works and if it does I can update. The one she told me to get was "Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Mood+ Acidophilus Probiotic Supplement - Promotes Emotional Well-Being, Relaxation and Digestive Balance - Ashwagandha for Stress Management" It is the one that says 50 billion guaranteed with 16 different strains

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. My surgery was 6/19/23, and I'm in the same boat with my moods and feelings. I've been at a stall since July 3rd. Today, I weighed myself (even though I swore I'd wait til Sunday) and I've only lost 2 lbs since July 3rd. Two pounds in almost 3 weeks. That's it. I'm also a revision from sleeve to bypass. I knew it would be slower than virgin surgeries, but not THIS slow. It's breaking my heart, honestly. I'm following the whole nutrition/vitamin routine, but nothing is changing. Now, I'm having trouble with my skin. I feel very let down.

I totally feel you on the jealousy/insecurity stuff. I'm that way. But I've ALWAYS been that way. Also, probably due to my weight. Can't blame my surgery though. I'm going to research that Probiotics Mood stuff you mentioned. I'll mention it to my doc's office. We have to be our own biggest advocates because we're the only ones who know how we feel now as compared to how we normally feel. They don't really know us from any other patient they see. I'm going to request a blood work order. They haven't asked for any. One of the girls at the office said they don't usually until the 3-month mark. I don't want to wait 3 months.

Maybe going outside and getting some Vitamin D would help? I'd hang out outside if I didn't live in South Texas where people are baking bread in their mailboxes and baking Cookies in their cars. Hope you feel better, ma. 💛

1 hour ago, CarmenG said:

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. My surgery was 6/19/23, and I'm in the same boat with my moods and feelings. I've been at a stall since July 3rd. Today, I weighed myself (even though I swore I'd wait til Sunday) and I've only lost 2 lbs since July 3rd. Two pounds in almost 3 weeks. That's it. I'm also a revision from sleeve to bypass. I knew it would be slower than virgin surgeries, but not THIS slow. It's breaking my heart, honestly. I'm following the whole nutrition/vitamin routine, but nothing is changing. Now, I'm having trouble with my skin. I feel very let down.

I totally feel you on the jealousy/insecurity stuff. I'm that way. But I've ALWAYS been that way. Also, probably due to my weight. Can't blame my surgery though. I'm going to research that Probiotics Mood stuff you mentioned. I'll mention it to my doc's office. We have to be our own biggest advocates because we're the only ones who know how we feel now as compared to how we normally feel. They don't really know us from any other patient they see. I'm going to request a blood work order. They haven't asked for any. One of the girls at the office said they don't usually until the 3-month mark. I don't want to wait 3 months.

Maybe going outside and getting some Vitamin D would help? I'd hang out outside if I didn't live in South Texas where people are baking bread in their mailboxes and baking Cookies in their cars. Hope you feel better, ma. 💛

Hi Carmen,

That is exactly how I feel, just heart broken and sad. What is happening with your skin? I am sorry that you are feeling the same way as I am, but it does make me feel better and a little more normal to hear that I am not alone. When I asked my doc about it she said she has seen "some" patients with this issue, but it didnt sound like too many. She did ask about the Vitamin D but my pre-op blood work said it was too high and they told me to stop. I do have a script to get the 3 month blood panel done.

You did make me laugh with the baking bread in their mailboxes lol Good luck to you and thank you for sharing your experiences

37 minutes ago, Daisy1210 said:

Hi Carmen,

That is exactly how I feel, just heart broken and sad. What is happening with your skin? I am sorry that you are feeling the same way as I am, but it does make me feel better and a little more normal to hear that I am not alone. When I asked my doc about it she said she has seen "some" patients with this issue, but it didnt sound like too many. She did ask about the Vitamin D but my pre-op blood work said it was too high and they told me to stop. I do have a script to get the 3 month blood panel done.

You did make me laugh with the baking bread in their mailboxes lol Good luck to you and thank you for sharing your experiences

This is a post about my skin issues. https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/444157-wtf-with-the-dry-skin/