Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss after pregnancy post WLS?!

So there have been talks about pregnancy and babies with my boyfriend. With history of PCOS, my cycles have become regular and I have been ovulating for the last year or so. We may try for pregnancy may be sometime next year.

My question is, anyone here who got pregnant after WLS? If yes, did you end up losing your post pregnancy weight? Or was it difficult to bring it back to pre-pregnancy baseline? Currently I am happy with where I am with my weight. But also, looking forward to starting a family if destiny permits. But, the weight gain cycle of pregnancy concerns me. Putting on the weight will naturally happen but I was wondering if the bypass tool will help me lose the weight post pregnancy. Any thoughts, experience shall be great!

I was also worried about gaining too much weight. I’m 4 years post vsg and 8 months pregnant. I’ve only gained 7 pounds the entire pregnancy. Nausea, acid reflux, and food aversions played a role in that. Plus, eating smaller portions due to the sleeve. We’ll see how it goes after I have the baby because I’d love to lose about 20 pounds.

8 hours ago, Jay19 said:

I was also worried about gaining too much weight. I’m 4 years post vsg and 8 months pregnant. I’ve only gained 7 pounds the entire pregnancy. Nausea, acid reflux, and food aversions played a role in that. Plus, eating smaller portions due to the sleeve. We’ll see how it goes after I have the baby because I’d love to lose about 20 pounds.

7 pounds is quite low for an average pregnancy. Are doctors happy with your pregnancy weight and all? I am kinda worried if I'll be able to provide enough nutrition to the baby cuz of the small pouch. That's another concern of mine. Please keep us posted on your pregnancy and how it all wraps up. Wish you all the best for a healthy delivery.

Sorry just seen this now. Yes they were happy with the weight gain. Month 9 I did gain another 8 pounds (my appetite went crazy) so 15 pounds total. Baby was 7 pounds healthy and perfect! By 2 weeks post partum my weight went back to pre pregnancy weight. But then the holidays came and I did gain about 10 pounds, so I would just say be careful after you give birth and try to continue healthy eating habits.

Sorry just seen this now. Yes they were happy with the weight gain. Month 9 I did gain another 8 pounds (my appetite went crazy) so 15 pounds total. Baby was 7 pounds healthy and perfect! By 2 weeks post partum my weight went back to pre pregnancy weight. But then the holidays came and I did gain about 10 pounds, so I would just say be careful after you give birth and try to continue healthy eating habits.

Posted (edited)

Great thread ladies I'm 4 months post op and kinda get crazy and wild around ovulation time sorry not sorry haha. So I'm on here looking at people's weight gain during pregnancy and or any issues they might have had. Good to stay prepared!

Edited by Mspretty86

I had the sleeve 3.5 years ago and gained it all back within a little over a year. I wasn’t pregnant but I can attest that you can certainly eat around a smaller pouch if you want to. I did it without intending to. You would just need to eat smaller healthy meals more often for pregnancy. I would recommend speaking with your Dr and nutritionist now if that’s the plan. There may be changes you can make now to prepare.

20 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I had the sleeve 3.5 years ago and gained it all back within a little over a year. I wasn’t pregnant but I can attest that you can certainly eat around a smaller pouch if you want to. I did it without intending to. You would just need to eat smaller healthy meals more often for pregnancy. I would recommend speaking with your Dr and nutritionist now if that’s the plan. There may be changes you can make now to prepare.

That's my biggest fear and that's why I'm in various bariatric groups. I do not want to gain any of this weight back! It was hard work getting it off 😩😩😩

8 minutes ago, Mspretty86 said:

That's my biggest fear and that's why I'm in various bariatric groups. I do not want to gain any of this weight back! It was hard work getting it off 😩😩😩

Well I had some circumstances (some out of my control but some that ultimately were) that all added up to my regain but it boiled down to unhealthy choices and increased portion sizes. Just don’t do that and you should be fine. Sticking with the support groups should be a huge help. I stopped posting here and going to my my appointments when I started gaining too much because they couldn’t offer much for me in terms of options and I was embarrassed. It was a bad decision since that was when I needed support most.

Posted (edited)

@Mspretty86 I maybe have clarified that I did not get pregnant. I just regained. I’m sure that if you were to gain a reasonable amount with a pregnancy under your teams care you could take it off between breastfeeding and diet. I was just saying that getting enough calories after you are like 6 or so months out shouldn’t be an issue that you would just have to eat more times a day. Many of us gain way more that is really necessary to support a healthy baby anyways.

Edited by ShoppGirl

28 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

@Mspretty86 I maybe have clarified that I did not get pregnant. I just regained. I’m sure that if you were to gain a reasonable amount with a pregnancy under your teams care you could take it off between breastfeeding and diet. I was just saying that getting enough calories after you are like 6 or so months out shouldn’t be an issue that you would just have to eat more times a day. Many of us gain way more that is really necessary to support a healthy baby anyways.

Cool thanks yes I do not have children but need to plan for the future...I always felt that the mothers in my family over ate while pregnant and used it as an excuse. I know people eat for two but really how much food does one need.