Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out from surgery and SO Tired

Sorry if this topic was already discussed, this is my first post here :) I had my surgery on May 22, it went great except for the first 13 days - I had the most horrible diarrhea I've ever had in my life. That's done (whew) but I'm so tired , I just drag myself around every day. I'm 69 YO . I was never really active except for short walks ,but now everything exhausts me. I was wondering if this goes away as time goes by . I'm at the purreed stage of my diet and I'm wondering if eating so little has anything to do with it. You can see, I'm full of questions LOL . Any experiences to share ? Thank you so much ...Kathy

i think most people (most, not all), are pretty run down and tired after surgery.

i was dead man walking for about 2-3 weeks immediately after surgey, and just weak-man walking for the next few months after that.

it does get better once you start eating more.

worth noting that i'm 4.5+ years out, and i still don't think im as "strong" as i used to be pre-wls: opening jars and lifting every day things are just harder to do now. of course, i'm over 1/2 the weight/size i used to be, so i that explains some of that.

hang in there ❤️

You're probably going to feel a bit wiped out for a while. You're eating what would otherwise be considered a starvation diet and it takes time for your metabolism and system to adjust. You will have a lot more energy once things even out, though.

Thank you for giving me hope ! I feel so guilty not doing as much around the house as I used to . I'll hang in there !!!

You’ve just had a pretty major surgery & aren’t eating very much so feeling lethargic & low in energy is to be expected. As your body recovers & heals & you start to eat a more balanced diet & more than just fluids & purées, you’ll start to feel better. you may have odd times after when your energy drops a little as your body gets used to the changes.

Like @ms.sss, I don’t think I’m quite as strong as I used to be. I seem to hit my wall a little sooner too. But I know I used to push myself to do more (carry more, lift more, work harder & longer, take in. more responsibilities, etc.) to prove my weight wasn’t limiting me in any way. I might just be more conscious of what I actually & reasonably can or can’t do now

Hello Kathy,

I was 62 when I had the surgery, almost at the point of being fully disabled. So I had to start from the back. Building my fitness took me 6 to 9 months. My calorie intake was so low, about 300 cals a day till 6 months. I soon realised doing any exercise on so little food was not going to happen. I took it slow, just walking when I had the energy.

Sleep/ take a short nap when you need to

Leave your chores, focus on yourself.

Anything else will come when it happens, we are not spring chickens anymore. My brain thinks I am 27 but I still run out off energy and need to top up my food and drinks before I feel ok again.