Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you think of the tv show Saving Grace?

I'm just curious to know if any of you have watched this show and what you think of it. I know it has been considered a very controversial show for some people. I personally think it is very thought provoking....and I think Holly Hunter does a great job.

I've only watched a few episodes. At first I liked the show very much but later I became a little bored. I do think that the premise is interesting, the actors are excellent, and that the scripts are intelligently written but I found the show a little slow is all. It is playing up here in Canada on a cable channel and has elicited no comment at all. In your initial post you mentioned that it is controversial south of the border. What does this hinge upon? :)

I recorded every episode on Tivo.. I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes, and it's ok.. but I kept getting bored. It wasn't exciting enough for a whole hour. ADD kicked in, and I'd start reading a book. I actually deleted the other 8-10 episodes off of my TiVo last night. I decided it's not one I'm ever going to get around to, because it doesn't draw me in.

i like the show, but i wish they'd quit showing so much of her scrawny body...especially while i'm eating...ugh!

LOL!! I agree, she is way skinny!! And she has some ginormous manly veins in her arms too!!

I've only watched a few episodes. At first I liked the show very much but later I became a little bored. I do think that the premise is interesting, the actors are excellent, and that the scripts are intelligently written but I found the show a little slow is all. It is playing up here in Canada on a cable channel and has elicited no comment at all. In your initial post you mentioned that it is controversial south of the border. What does this hinge upon? :)

I got on the TNT website one night, and the posts were FULL of people ranting that it's blasphemous, etc...it seemed to really elicit some strong reactions from some people. I am not particularly religious so it does not offend me, however, it does make me think. I guess because I can relate when Grace asks why God makes good people suffer and lets bad things happen, while bad people get away with much that they do without consequence. She seems to really struggle with that, and I admit, being a nurse, this has crossed my mind on more than one occasion. It seems some really good people get more than their share of misery...Did anyone watch the season finale last night? It really brought the first season together and explained alot of why Grace is the way she is.

I watched the finale last night, you're right it answered alot of questions but sometimes it gets confusing especially all the symbols that Earl was giving and what it all meant. Boy, I think they could have done that better. Holly is such a great actress. I think she's too thin, though...

I watched the first episode and, as an atheist, found myself offended that Grace, also a non-believer, was depicted as a basically amoral smoker, boozer, cusser, and homewrecker. Here, I am, a nonsmoker, only an occasional drinker of wine, married almost 32 years, mother of four, responsible citizen and college math teacher. But I guess I'd be a pretty boring subject of a television show. :)

Oh, and not that smoking is amoral, but let's face it -- only flawed people and bad guys smoke on television so that was just another way to add to the atheist stereotype, in my view. I decided the show wasn't my cup of tea.

You make many good points Longhorn, however, I have come to not entirely believe that Grace is a true non-believer after watching the show. I think she simply struggles with her beliefs because of things that happened to her in the past.

I'm sure you're right and I didn't stick with the show long enough to learn more. I just object to the depiction that someone who isn't secure in their faith in God must be hitting rock bottom. There are plenty of believers in a bad way and their are plenty of atheists who have their acts together. But I guess there wouldn't be any "saving" if Grace didn't need some help, huh? :)

Thanks!

So true!! I'll probably take a bunch of criticism for this, but I feel like I see more believers who are hypocrits than not. My ex-husbands family is a perfect example of this. They go to church and think they are better than everyone, but the things that went on behind closed doors with that family were truly atrocious. The same with my sisters mother in law-they are so religious, but she is petty, manipulative, and talks about other people behind their backs all the time.