Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-depressants

I was on Lexipro before my lap band surgery. I took myself off the meds and now think maybe I should go back on them. I feel down most of the time, and grouchy. Are many of you on anti-depressants and do they help you? Have you seen them hinder your weight loss in any way? I ate taking so many meds.

I don't think you should ever take yourself off any meds without the docs okay. You know yourself better than anyone, and if you think you should be back on them, you should go back on them. I have taken Lexipro myself in the past during rough periods of my life. They are very mild and I never gained weight because of them.

I am not on anything right now, so I can't answer your question on that.

There are some antidepressants that are notorious for causing weight. My doctor refused to put me on anything except well butrin because of my family history and my weight. He didn't want to give me anything that could cause weight gain (gained 40 lbs once in 2 months on an antidepressant with another doctor). Well butrin is not shown to cause weight gain. I'm sure there may be a few others.

I think it is really important to see your doctor, and get back on medication if he thinks it is warranted. And continue to take it! Just make sure to discuss with him if you want something that will not affect your weight - there are many medications doctors have to choose from.

Be very careful with just stopping anti depressants because some can have a huge effect on you if stopped suddenly.

Good luck.

I've been very depressed the past couple weeks. I'm only 4 weeks out, and I'm wondering if it's the dramatic decrease in whole grains and breads, which is where you B complex Vitamins come from. Rather than get back on antidepressants, which I've been off of for several years, should I try a B complex first? Has anyone had any experience with this??

SueSue,

I currently take Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Seroquel and Trazodone (for sleep). I still have bad days, but for the most part it is working. I've been playing musical medications for about 8 years. I know that when I'm not on meds I can't stand myself. I'm crabby (understatement), VERY easily irritated, and feel like the world is crashing down around me. My family suffers when I'm like that. And I know they are a hurdle to losing weight. If you think you should still be taking them, you probably should be. Do you live with anyone? The people around you can be helpful in determining your "mood". My husband would go to my psychologist appts. with me and the Dr. would ask HIM how I was doing, since I was so out of whack I didn't know how I was feeling!

We'll just have to work a little harder to lose the weight! Hang in there!

Robin

Sue, I take Lexapro as well. I was diagonosed bi-polar with depression a couple years ago, preband. I have stayed on all my medications. My doctor added in Wellbutrin which helps the appetite. I would go back to your Psychiatrist and restart the program. You'll feel better in matter of days. Good luck.

I take Zoloft pre and post band. About a month ago I slacked off on it because I was taking some antibiotics and just didn't "feel" like taking them. Boy was that a BIG mistake. I am not back to my routien and feel better than ever!

down and grouchy?

Sounds like me dieting.

Talk to your doc...he/she should be your best resource.

Change dosage/meds/ therapy.

Good luck!