Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the last hurrah?

I had to do a two week pre-op liquid diet. It started on a Sunday. So...the day before (Saturday night) I had a "Farewell to Fat" party at my house. I surrounded myself with supportive family and friends and we partied all night long. We ate lots of food, dranks lots of beer, sang karaoke and had a great time. The date of that party was April 15. Well..this past Saturday (December 15...8 months later) I surrounded myself with the same crowd of people, supplied lots of food (for them) and sang karaoke. Well...I was pleased to announce to those folks that I had dropped 76 pounds since our last party. So...bottom line...enjoy yourself over the holidays.

TulipStar you make a hellava good point, maybe it's time curb those 'last suppers'. Mumof2boys, what a great story and I love the party idea!

Yes, I did it, too. Thankfully I only had 3 weeks between my initial consult and my clear-liquid pre-op diet. Those 3 weeks, I ate and ate and ate everything I could possibly think of.

Yes, I will still be able to eat "those" foods, just smaller portions. But what I liked was being able to eat LARGE portions - that was part of the physical satisfaction. Besides, I'd actually like to NOT eat "those" foods. And when I say "those" foods, I mean stuff like Twinkies and Swiss Rolls and french fries. I might decide to go for french fries once a year, but I don't want to make them part of my diet...whereas before the band, I could easily pound them 3 times a week. That's the difference.

I don't think I gained anything between my initial consult and surgery. In fact, after my 3-day clear liquid pre-op diet, I had lost 3 lbs.

I say live it up!

Mum,

What a great attitude!

I had a few things steak and a big mac. The thing is that most things I could eat after I was done with the special post-op diet and before I got restriction. I did manage not to gain weight before my surgery which I think is a good goal. Somehow I don't feel deprived by the things that I can't eat - tough meat and white bread.< /p>

I actually didn;t know if I would have the surgery until about a month before it happened. Was waiting for insurance approval for over 8 months and then decided I would just self pay. Once we made that decision, the surgery date happened fast.

So while I had time for "last suppers". I really didn't want even MORE weight to lose after, so I was careful to eat as healthly as I could. I ate at Thanksgiving but watched my portions and had only one glass of wine.

We are always so impatient about how fast we are going to lose weight after the surgery, but how can we moan about that if we are going to overeat before.

Plus the goal before surgery is to be sure our livers are healthly and small, so they don;t interfere during the surgery. High fat, high calorie meals are not good for the liver.

We have to be ready to say goodbye to the old eating habits that got us in the position to need this surgery, so does stopping the overeating a month earlier really matter?

I say just be careful about how many and what kinds of food are in your last suppers if you choose to indulge.

Well, I for one definitely did the last supper thing and I don't regret it. From the time I heard back from the insurance company and I got a surgery date scheduled, I really did it up. I gained about 4 pounds over the course of 2 weeks- so I didn't go nuts or anything, I just had my favorite foods each night (esp. the Pasta, bread and other things that I figured I wouldn't have for a long long time or never because some bandsters don't tolerate them).

I stopped to start the liquid pre-op diet 13 days before surgery. I followed that religiously and pretty much lost all that last supper weight plus some more before surgery.

I think as long as you don't go completely nuts AND it's for a limited amount of time (not months long), last supper is not a horrible thing. I think it did make my liquid diet harder, though, because I was probably much hungrier than if I had started tapering off my portions beforehand.