Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused...Excited...Lost.......

I had the weridest call today.. Not werid, but to me, Im confused.... Let me start off by saying.. I have had 1 appointment with my Dr. I guess to just talk.. thats all we really did anyway. I had my Dietain appointment over the phone, not even in person. and I had my Psych Evaluation. My paper work for the Ins. is still in process. I have talked to my Dr.'s asstaint over the phone a few times just discussing the other Appointments. Thats were I am now.. Or this morning...

Okay I read and read and read this site and others, So many diffrent things, Tests... appointments... everything like its all organized.

Anyway, Im here sitting online and my phone rings.. its my Dr. office... Im thinking oh hes just calling to fill me in on Ins. or my Psych evaluation or something.. No to my suprize he had a date.. yes surgery date!! Ahhhhh shocked me silly I got so confused I couldnt be happy.. March 14th??? What?? No Im not ready, I need Money, Hubby needs Vacation hours?? Ahhhhh..... No tests??? just plop on the table and get to work???

Okay maybe Im a little to confused... Anyway I called back and asked if we can do it in April... Now he sounded confused... geezee... okay so probably April.... seems like the process should take longer... I dont know again im CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening to me rant and rave.....

<STILL Confused>

Hey Trish,

How can you have a date if your insurance hasnt approved this yet?

You are right - you shouldve had something like a EKG, chest x-ray AND certainly bloodwork before this surgery... mabye they will have you do these test a couple of days before the surgery ???

...and your dietitian consulted you over the phone??????????????????

Ive never heard of that.

Now Im confused!

The only test or appointments I had before my surgery was my blood drawn. My doc heard from my insurance before I did. Then I got my letter a few days later. Maybe he is giving you the head up about your insurance!

Oh there is no question about wether i want this or not... I do want this.. to the point that i need it....

He gave me the date w/out garanteed approval because, My Ins. Co. doesnt have me on Direct Exclusion.. i dont know what that means, Thats what the asst. at my Dr.'s office said.

He said that I would have all my tests done the day before surgery, I just didnt know how fast results can come in.

I did my Dietitian over the phone to save me a 400mile trip down to Colorado. She told me that she would meet with me next time I was in Colorado, but she wanted to get the paper work done.

I guess his call this afternoon caught me off guard and I wasnt expecting to hear a date so quickly....

I would go for the March 14th, but I cant I dont have the money to make 2 400 mile trips.. including hotel in a 2 week period and my husband doesnt have the vacation time bulit up yet... (they give vac. time every other week depending on how much he works)

Im still a little weided on the call... but I think it will be okay.

Hey Trish,

I don't think there's anything all that unusual about the way your doctor is proceeding. In many cases, insurance won't even consider a request for precertification UNLESS there is a surgery date chosen. Way back when I was where you are, the first thing the doctor did was choose a surgery date and everything proceeded from there. Dates are not carved in stone and can always be changed.

No matter how prepared we think we are, though, the first time we get a date is indeed a bit of a surprise. It's just another step on this road, and you're very much on your way!

Hey Trish, I've had my surgery date since the first week in January. I've had that date set before some of the other test. I met with the dietician, and the surgeon on the same day, and the psych eval was taken care of a week later.

It is possible that it is easier for them to schedule the operation first, and the smaller test, like ekg and other "stuff" in smaller time slots.

Don't worry, it will be alright. Sure, it is easy for me to say this, since I still have over a month to go before my band installation....

Thank You all so much! I got worried there for a bit... I think he just caught me off gard today i guess... Well it will be in April instead of March.. That gives me time to save for travel expenses and for hubby to save time in his bank at work. But you all made me feel at ease Thanks again!

Jack,

you said......... I tend to think of dieticians mostly like the nice firemen that came to visit you in the 2nd grade to tell you the reasons to not play with matches....

I never would of thought of it that way.. good thinking hehehe

Trish,

This is all so wonderful! Knowing when your surgery will be will give you time to prepare. I am still sitting here wondering when mine will be and I've even had all my tests already.My Dr. could just call tomorrow and spring it on me. I am trying to get prepared and dont know when I will get to stop worrying about "WHEN" It has driven me bonkers not knowing. This gives you 1 and 1/2 months to get things together. This time will go by so fast. Your surgery will be done before you know it and you will do great.

Most of the time a dietician's work really isn't where you get the largest part of your information....they are good in some circumstances...

In my situation, the dietitian's report to my insurance comp. played a very - VERY vital role in my approval.

Heck, if I couldve done it over the phone I wouldve!!!! Lucky you ;)

And my doctors office wouldnt give me a date till they had a letter of approval from my insurance company... see, everyone has a different journey! :)

Regardless, its gonna be here in a snap!

Oh YAY!!

Trish, how cool! I can see how it totally caught you off guard. I certainly would have freeked. LOL But it is nice to know that you can have it in april and that you will have what you need completely settled. You are on your way lady. I am totally freeking myself...Only 10 days left,,,AHHHHHHH!

Start getting psyched....

Trish, it doesn't matter if it's March or April. What matters is .... YOU"RE GETTING YOUR BAND! Wooohoo!!!!!!

I dont think anything is in Stone yet... I feel like everyone who is just waiting and waiting... But thanks anyway!!! you all are great!

Rachel, Just 10 more days???? WOW that is so just around the corner

Trish,

I know! I have been doing the pre op diet my doc ordered for me and I have actually gotten used to eating on the Atkins induction. LOL everytime I feel like complaining I remember that in 10 days I will be on liquids.

I am trying to make all of the nessecary preparations and think ahead to somethings I need to get out of the way that I wont be able to do for 4-6 weeks. Like stretching my canvases.

Keep me updated on a specific date and I will write it on my calendar.