Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych. Evaluation Frustration

OK, so I had my psychological evaluation...one of three appointments. I must admit, I was prepared for the questions regarding my decision but I was not prepared to defend my decision based on my age. I am very frustrated. The conversation started off by the psychologist giving me a speech about paying "special" attention to patients under 20. What I got from that was, "your not emotionally mature enough. Just for the record, I will be twenty in 13 days. Anyway, without not knowing me on a personal level, I find it hard for the psychologist to assume I am emotionally immature. Yes, I do realize this will be a big change and it will require a determination but I am fully capable of handling the situation. I think it is crappy to put all young adults in a basket and label them as incapable of handling the surgery.

The second thing that was irritating was that he (the psychologist) was pushing RnY. Because I want to lose 180 lbs. he thinks that RnY would be a better option. I am not budging on my decision. There are plenty of people (even on here) that lose 180+ lbs. I have the determination to do this---and I will.

I'll just keep rolling with the punches...:clap2:

Sorry to rant but I feel like those of you on here are by best form of support. :)

Lauren me are you are the same age!! I didn't have an issue with the psychologist. He was very nice to me ... and I will be 20 on the 26th of December ... but I am married already as well and I come off as a very mature adult women people are always shocked at my age. But I have been fat my whole life and I dare anyone to try and tell me that I haven't attempted to lose weight I have been dieting since I was 8 years old ... maybe you should try another doctor.

WASabubblebutt: I couldn't agree with you more! I'm glad I have someone who sees where I am coming from!

Apple Smith1216: I will be twenty on the 30th, crazy huh? I'm glad that you had an easier time with the psychologist! At least one of us had some success in that department! You know what's also weird? We're about the same age? How crazy is that? I agree, I've been fat my whole life and can't agree more about the not trying thing. I would try a new doctor, I am confidant with the surgeon but am not impressed with the office staff, but my insurance only covers this surgeon. Bummer huh? I have the dream surgeon picked out...but they are not an in-network provider.

Thank you both for your support!

Girl I know exactly what you are going through ... And United healthcare is the easiest to get approved but you have to be 21 ... because my employer just had annual enrollment and I was looking for an insurance that specifically covered the lap bad ... and I went to United First and when they said 21 ... o h was like oh hell no!! I would easily be near 400 pounds by than!! I was recently diagnosed with PCOS ... and it's sooo hard to lose the weight NOTHING works this was my last resort to and I don't who thinks that I am too young!! They can blow me!! LOL ... because alot of them were skinny when they were young!! I have been dealing with this since I mattered ... and that's pretty much school age to me! And it sucks to be a fat overweight teenage girl! We do get to live like other girls like we should! And If this is what it's going to take for me to be healthy than bring it on! Cause I don't want kids right now but when I do want them I want to be healthy for my family... So that I can be all the mother that I can be!!! And I want to be healthy for my husband! It's alot down deep rather than just wanting to be skinny like "adults" think. Or people that have been thin majority of their lives. They don't understand!!!

I too understand your frustration. I started my pursuit of lapband in Dec of 2006. I seen a psychologist in Feb of 2007 - noted possible depression on my evaluation. You think? 33 yrs old and 329 lbs....I think depression was certain. Anyways, my insurance company denied me and requested I go to behavior modification therapy. It actually was the best thing that ever happened to me. I met an awesome therapist who has helped me overcome many reasons for my being overweight. I had to go before my insurance company's review board of 12 MD's and nurses to get Lap Band approved. I heard the same thing....why dont you have gastric bypass?....You can only expect to lose about 50% of your excess weight with Lap Band. So if you are 150lbs overweight you can only expect to lose 75lbs, blah, blah, blah. My reasons for lap band....I am young (what if I get a serious illness like cancer - I can have this reversed), the limited amount of time I needed to be off of work, and the quick recovery (I have three small children). Long story short...I was approved and had my surgery in October of 2007. I have lost 54 lbs since then!! My goal is 130 lbs.

Keep strong & do not let anyone alter your decision. No matter your age - know your facts and the reasons that Lap Band is right for you - after all who knows yourself better than you!

Best of luck - keep us posted on your progress!

I saw a couple presentations, actually from doctors that prefer bypass, and it said that after 5 years, the weight loss of both is the same! This 50% stuff is misleading, I think. Good for you for trusting yourself. Your "inner work" shows!

I, too, worked on "head hunger" for 15 months previous to getting my lapband. I was self-pay, so it wasn't required, but I knew that if I didn't deal with my stressful thoughts, that I would either transfer to another addiction, or really have a hard time. I use "The Work" to deal with these thoughts still today, even became a facilitator I loved the changes in my life so much.

Has made all the difference! I agree with you, working on the Inside Stuff is the Best Thing I Ever Did!

When I was going through the approval stage my doc had a list of psychs to go to. Did your doctor provide one to you? They usually know which ones are going to be supportive.

My psych eval was good, but my insurance denied me. Self pay, Jan 7, 2008.

AppleSmith1226: You know what's weird, my primary insurance is United! Coventry is my secondary...because my mom works for the state, she has a good policy they just tend to be a little strict. I couldn't agree with you more about the healthy/kids part. I am at risk for PCOS and hope to get this weight OFF before I develop it. Thanks for the support...it's crazy how much we are alike...long lost twin?haha

678iamgreat: Thanks! With my will and determination, I know I can lose more than 50% of my excess weight. Even losing 50ish pounds would make a world of difference. As much as people talk about this being a tool...I plan to use it as one. It's not for the psychologist to determine how much weight I will or will not lose. I see your already 54lbs. down!! Congrats! That's great! Keep working hard and thanks again!

LovingWhatIs: I too had heard about the 5 year thing...it's irritating when they try to push me into bypass...when it's not something I want. I think it's great that you were so proactive about your head hunger. I think a lot of times, that is the downfall with a lot of people. I can see that you are really determined...good for you! Congrats on your loss so far!

KukeChik: No, unfortunately there was not a list. The bariatric center I am going through has ties with one psychologist...he was nice but seemed to put a blanket statement over young adults--which I did not appreciate. Sorry to hear that you were denied...that's never fair. Good luck on your upcoming surgery! Keep us posted!