Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!!!! Gained 2 Pds!

Okay, sorry to be so dramatic but I'm worried there is something wrong with me. I've had the band for a week now, and I know I'm supposed to be patient and wait until I've had a few fills before I really notice the weight loss, but my scale isn't budging, and I've been existing on 500 calories a day for the past 7 days on a full-liquid diet.

I was on a 2 day pre-op liquid diet and I lost 4 pounds in 2 days. I was consuming 1000-1200 calories each day for those 2 days. Surgery day was last Monday and I didn't really drink anything besides Water all day and a little apple juice. THe next morning after surgery I was down another 3 pounds - total 7 in 3 days! Which I know is impossible, so it was mostly water weight. So last tuesday my weight was up two pounds from the day before, and I have steadily gained weight each day. I weighed myself this morning and I weight 2 pds more then yesterday!!!!!

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I haven't had a BM in over a week (before my surgery). I took Ex-Lax yesterday and still nothing. I'm going to tey milk of magnesia and hope that works. Is this the reason I've been gaining? I'm on full liquids getting in around 40-50 g's of Protein a day. I'm drinking Protein shakes, protien water, very small amounts of cranberry juice, and Soups (strained). I have not cheated whatsoever. I'm wondering that maybe my body is going into "starvation" mode and is hanging on to every calorie I have, or maybe I'm retaining water?

Did anyone else have this problem the first week? Normally when I cut back on calories I lose weight pretty quickly, so it was super discouraging when I weighed 2 pounds heavier today - then yesterday. I only consumed a protien shake and one glass of juice yesterday. 500 calories!? Can someone help??:faint::help::think:wacko::cry:cry:eek::):omg::paranoid:huytsao:(:angry

Nothing is wrong with the situation, and there's no reason to think anything is wrong with you, other than a little impatience. Sounds like what you're experiecing is 100% normal to me.

Had the same problem when I came home from the hospital--and I said to my husband "How can that BE when ALL I've had is a little bit of juice!"

Well, in the hospital they were pumping your body full of fluids and afterwards that's what we continue to do. Your body's metabolism hasn't had a chance to kick in.

Please don't worry--it's just a time issue--as Wheetsin said, just have patience because it DOES work out in the end! :)

HI,

The same thing happened to me, I'm only three weeks out of surgery and the first two weeks afterwardsmy weight was up and down, lost some gained some...A couple of things are going on, your body is still recovering and if you are only on 500 calories your body thinks it's starving so it's holding onto weight..DRINK MORE Water _ not yelling but a nice reminder that your body needs Water, once I started drinking water the weight started coming off ( not a lot but a bit) and when you can start walking..Even more wieght comes off when I walk, at costco or Target every bit helps

Your reaction was the same as mine which is basically I just had surgery, shouldnt the weight just come off?? it's normal just give it a second...and I can't believe I'm telling someone to be patient, I was just crying about it last week LOL

and as always..Use this forum for support

I wish you the best

Happy

Thanks, I'm feeling a little bit better. The fills give you restriction, and the restriction helps you eat less, so if I am already eating less shouldn't I be losing?! I'm obviously not giving up, I'm going to keep going, but I just feel so bloated and full all the time and I feel like my body is just storing all the fluids I'm consuming... Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted!

Had the same problem when I came home from the hospital--and I said to my husband "How can that BE when ALL I've had is a little bit of juice!"

Well, in the hospital they were pumping your body full of fluids and afterwards that's what we continue to do. Your body's metabolism hasn't had a chance to kick in.

Please don't worry--it's just a time issue--as Wheetsin said, just have patience because it DOES work out in the end! :)

Make33 is right. Also the surgery itself can be a bit traumatic for the body causing you to have some swelling. (i.e. Fluid retention) All of this adds up to not losing and sometimes even gainig weight shortly after the surgery. Shoot, I came home from PS not long ago and despite the fact they removed 10+ pounds of skin I still weight the same as when I went in. I know its HARD but try to not worry. It will get better.