Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out...just a bit

I am also short 4'11 and weigh 190. I am going Jan 15th to seminar. I am scared but need to make a change in my life. I pray this is right for me. I have tried it all. I want to live long for my grandchildren. Something people write scare me. Help me have confidence.

I know Jayne I am scared too, but honestly once you get enough information you will feel better. At first I was kind of depressed ...wow I am so fat that only medical intervention will cure me. Then I joined this forum, did a lot of reading and research on the "disease" of obesity. I did not think it was a disease...but now I know better I know that no matter how hard I try I "can" lose weight but the odds of keeping it off are very very small. I stopped dieting because every time I went on a diet I gained more weight. Again depressing. So here I am 5'2.5 and 202 pounds and this is where I will stay unless I decide there is a better way...and I did decide I want to live! As long as I am this weight my chances of a heart attack increase tremendously, as well as diabetes, and other sorts of nasty stuff. I want to see my grandkids, to be able to walk or hike, ride a bike with little or no pain. I want to take an aerobics class again. I decided I want to live a long healthy life as opposed to this sedintary, gluotenous life I already have.

Just remember anything new can be frightening so educate yourself...and best wishes Lana

Hi my name is Jayne I am going to the seminar Jan 13th. Scared to death but can not think of another diet. I am 52 and keep my 13mth old granddaughter. How long before I can pick her up after surgery.

Thanks Lana I too have health issues I am 4'11 and weigh 190. Hating my self right now. How did I get this far!

I know, I know...how does it get this far...life, bills, babies, marriage...and sometimes divorce. Obesity is a progressive disease, thats HOW it happened.

Hi, I'm having my banding on 1-18-08 and trying to gather as much info as possible. I'm 62 and notice that I am on the older side of most banders. Do you have any advise for me. Thanks

Jayne, If we go through life always afraid of everything, in the end have we really lived well anyway. I had a sister in law that was always afraid of flying/going over bridges etc. she died suddenly at the age of 56 and I just kept thinking she didn't live life to it's fullest while she WAS here.

My motto when I travel is, if the plane is going to go down, I just hope it's on the return flight, so at least I got to see one more place!

P.S. shortgal turned 56 the day I was released from the hospital, one day after surgery.

If you truly feel you have tried everything else to lose the weight, then what's left to try but this. Look how many other people on this forum have also tried and this was the only way they could reach theri goal.

Hope the pep talk helped. Still working on my journey, too!

I have been doing some research on the lap band and after much thought and after many more serious thoughts and encouraging conversation with my hubby I am makin my first step toward lap band in Jan 08. I am currently considering Dr. Spivak or Dr. St. Laurent. Both are in houston,tx. I am a bit afraid of post surgery life, I don't want to end up looking as if I am wasting away.

In need of some advise and truth from post sx patients about the support groups and life after lap band.help.gif

If anyone has been banded by Dr. Spivak in houston or Dr. St. Laurent please tell me about their bedside manner.

I guess I also want to know how friendly and expedient the staff are pre and post sxhelp.gif

I have been doing some research on the lap band and after much thought and after many more serious thoughts and encouraging conversation with my hubby I am makin my first step toward lap band in Jan 08. I am currently considering Dr. Spivak or Dr. St. Laurent. Both are in houston,tx. I am a bit afraid of post surgery life, I don't want to end up looking as if I am wasting away.

In need of some advise and truth from post sx patients about the support groups and life after lap band.help.gif

I have not seen a lapbander yet that looks like their wasting away. I have seen some gastric bypass patients that in the first few months looked almost GRAY in coloring from malabsorbtion. It resolved after they began eating more normally.

I bet most of us can NOT imagine ourselves ever looking like we're wasting away. LOL

Hi, I'm having my banding on 1-18-08 and trying to gather as much info as possible. I'm 62 and notice that I am on the older side of most banders. Do you have any advise for me. Thanks

Hi againuni,

There is no one set of rules, this is a journey. A journey toward something that could be wonderful or horrifying (from what I have read). This is a journey of self, of recovery and a destination to live life to its fullest. I wish only the best for you, educate yourself this forum is just FULL of great and valuable information. Share your story because it will be as unique as your journey...

Lana