Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a rant.

I decided I do want to rant about something and that is the life span of dogs. Why do elephants and gorillas live very long lives and dogs don't. I have a little Pekingese that I love dearly. He is only three and started having seizures. Why is it when I get a good dog that I love something like this happens? The tears are flowing as I write.

I decided I do want to rant about something and that is the life span of dogs. Why do elephants and gorillas live very long lives and dogs don't. I have a little Pekingese that I love dearly. He is only three and started having seizures. Why is it when I get a good dog that I love something like this happens? The tears are flowing as I write.

SusSue

I am so sorry about your baby... I have 2 of my own - my little pom has bad hips (deformed bones square instead of round) and he was only just over a year old when we discovered and due to the cold weather they are acting up and he is back on his meds which are bad for his kidneys- the 2nd baby is little poodle who I think has some issues too with her joins and she just turned 1 in june.. IMHO our dogs lives are shorten by bad breeders...

:):girl_hug: please know that my heart is with you -:):girl_hug:

SueSue, I know what you mean. Our dogs are like members of our family. We have a chocolate lab and a doxy. They are just as spoiled as the kids. I can't imagine life without them. I truly don't understand why dogs have such short lifespans, especially compared to so many other animals.

I hope your baby gets better!

i'VE LOVED AND LOST 6 DOGS IN MY LIFE TIME. I don't think I'm over any of them. They all had their special qualities. My Baby Sophie is a year old today. She's my avator.) She's 1/2 Bishon and 1/2 maltese. Just got potty trained too. (I hope)

I am sorry to hear about your dog's illness. It is always deeply painful for us when our animals are ill or dying. I mourned a number of animals myself over the past few years and I miss them all.

Sue has the vet determined the reason for the seizures? My parent's dog actually has epilepsy and has been surviving nicely on daily meds for years now. Hopefully it is something that can be controlled and not something truely bad.

I have wondered many times the same thing. I have asked why the lord doesn't give us pets with a long life-span. My mother says it is because the lord doesn't want our pets to outlive us because they won't understand and there will be no one to care for them after you're gone. Maybe she's right. I have lost two of my very old doggie companions in the last 2 years, so I can feel your pain. I'm very sorry for you.

Sue,

I am so sorry for what you are going thru. I am an animal person myself, and I have had my heart broken by losing some of my babies much earlier than I felt was fair. The last time this happened to me, my beloved ferret Sasha passed away and I went without a pet for almost a year until my mom surprised me with Baby Joey, a male chihuahua puppy. He was the light of my life and three months after we got him, I found out he had a terminal heart condition and would only live about another six months. Well I tell you what, I made sure he was kissed and cuddled every second I could manage it, he ate steak and whatever else he wanted, and he was with me as much as possible. He died in my arms after we had just gone to bed one night. I was so angry at God and felt like I had been unfairly given all these animals that had something wrong with them and always just ended up dying and broke my heart. A few days after Joey died, I was talking to my dad (a very religious man) and lamenting my bad luck and telling him how mad I was at God for doing this to me yet again. My dad told me that I wasn't looking at it the right way. Yes, it was a painful and heart breaking thing to lose a beloved pet, but God wasn't giving ME ill animals, he was giving ill animals me. He said that God knew that they had a very short time on this Earth, so he made sure that the short time they had was spent with a mommy who would give them a lifetime of love and affection. Someone who would love them and cherish them. Someone who wouldn't leave them out in the cold and rain in the backyard all the time, never giving them attention or love. So Sue, that's the way you need to see it, is that God is giving the gift of YOU to your dog. My heart goes out to you, I know the pain you are going thru.

Sue,

I was so angry at God and felt like I had been unfairly given all these animals that had something wrong with them and always just ended up dying and broke my heart.

Brandy to add to your Dad's Thoughts - I just read this today and was very moved by it..

Because God is never cruel, there is a reason for all things. We must know he pain of loss; because if we never knew it we would have no compassion for others and we would become monsters of self-regard, creatures on unalloyed self-interest. The terrible pain of loss teaches humility ot our prideful kind, has the pwoer to soften uncaring hearts, to make a better person a good one...

Sue, I'm so sorry about your little dog. I've adopted dozens of dogs and cats in the past thirty years and every time we lose one, my husband and I cry like a baby. It's awful and so unfair. Hang in there and post away if it makes you feel even the least bit better. Take care. I'll be thinking of you and your little guy. There's so many of us here who care. Remember that.

Does the vet know what is causing the seizures? Seizures are not the problem, they are a symptom of the problem.

I take it this is new for your dog? Is your furkid on Rimadyl? (A pain medicine for dogs)

Thanks so much to all of you. Yes, this happened the other night. I just lost a dog to seizures about 3 years ago so I was pretty upset when I saw him have one. I have read on the internet they can be faily common and that they can live a long life. My first thought was Sara didn't live a long life. She was 3 years old. The vet gave me phenabaritol (SP?) Thanks again for all your kind words and stories. I got my first dog at 14 and have been hooked ever since.