Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would u feel PO'd?

My mom just called me to say that she picked up a very generous gift card from Lane Bryant for me.

I do need clothes because I am pressed for money right now, and have been wearing my old maternity stuff for the last 2 years. But why does it have to be from THAT STORE ?

I've lost almost 70 lbs and if things keep going the way they are now I will be able to wear clothes from stores for 'normal' people in less then 2 months.

I feel as though she expects me to fail. That's what's bugging me ...

:cry

Man that's tough! Maybe Mom just isn't ready to accept that you have changed so much about yourself. I know my mom is really having a hard time with me being banded and the changes I've made. I think it makes her feel like a failure because I chose to change my life in such a different way. You know, you can always take that Lane Bryant gift card and have it exchanged for another store that the Lane Bryant folks run... such as Victoria's Secret! :)

Have you actually told her what your size is? Sounds like she was trying to be nice. When someone is losing weight they go through clothes like crazy. I think expecting others to know what size we are and exactly what size we will be in two months is unfair.

If you don't believe you'll be needing Lane Giant then tell her and ask her if she would exchange it for the store of your choice. She likely has no clue.

Kyteach- I didn't know that! I'm glad to hear that they are owned by the same parent company! that's great to know

Wasa- I see her almost everyday so I just thought she'd

instinctively know. I could see how it would be unfair. My weight has gone up and down by so many hundreds of pounds in 25 years I wish I had held onto my thin clothes but I had given up hope

Kyteach- I didn't know that! I'm glad to hear that they are owned by the same parent company! that's great to know

Wasa- I see her almost everyday so I just thought she'd

instinctively know. I could see how it would be unfair. My weight has gone up and down by so many hundreds of pounds in 25 years I wish I had held onto my thin clothes but I had given up hope

I see my friends on a daily basis and I have no clue what size they wear or what sizes are sold in the stores they shop.

I think you are expecting your mom to read your mind and that is unreasonable.

I started this post because I felt miffed and didn't want to say or do anything until I sorted out if my feelings were valid or not. That is trying to take myself out of the situation. Now I have a better grasp using another's perspective so I'm over it !!!

Thank you !

:kiss2:

I know this isn't the point of your post but ....

If you decide not to say anything to her, I'm pretty sure you can use a Lane Bryant gift card at Fashion Bug as well. (They have plus and "regular" size sections)

Or...you could donate your gift card to me! LOL!! Just kidding!

I'm feeling pretty desperate for clothes myself, but I guess I have to wait until all the sparkly, rhinestoned, sequined, glittery clothes is replaced by "normal" ladies' suits!

I can see why you'd be bummed out about the gift card at first. On the positive side, at least she's willing to help you buy clothes--that's pretty cool!

Good news. Lane Bryant sells some cute costume jewelry and accessories. Just use the card to "splurge" on some accessory items you wouldn't normally buy for yourself

This is kind of off the wall....Last year at my work x-mas party, I won small gift card to Victoria Secrets. The only thing I can wear from that store is the perfume. So I splurged and got a bottle of perfume. The other day my hubby and I were sitting at the table and I told him that there is going to be a $300.00 gift card to Nordstroms this year and how it would be great to win that. (I never shop for myself by the way) I was going on about how I would spend every penny of it on me. I must have been feeling skinny that day and dreaming about actually shopping for cute stuff, not just what fits at the time. I got lucky and actually won the gift card! I am so excited it makes me want to lose more weight so I can get something nice from Nordstrom's.

I know it didn't have much to do with your dilema, just another story about a gift card.

I think maybe your mom thought you could use some new clothes now, even if they will only fit for a few months, maybe she wants you to splurge a little now. (You have been wearing maternity clothes for 2 years...she doesn't want you to wear them for 2 more months, can't say I blame her) Don't get all upset over it, go get something cute, they have some nice jeans at Lane Bryant. Show your outfit off to mom and then in 2 months when they are too big, show her again and make sure she knows that they are too big! Good luck!

I'm sure your mom was not trying to offend you or upset you. Is she a "normal" perhaps she doesn't even realize what sizes Lane Bryant goes to and that you would be out of them soon. I dont think the "normals" know what sizes places like LB work in so maybe she innocently thought that would do you for a while. I'd do what the other ladies were suggesting - it sounds ilke it was quite the generous gift card so you can use bits of it to update your wardrobe now and then perhaps if it is transferable to a place like Victorias Secret, when you drop even more weight you can use it up at a place like that! :) And congrats on your progress so far I cant wait for that day :D

Check the back of those gift cards though, folks. Make sure that there isn't a monthly surcharge that decreases the value each month. You'd be surprised how much they can decline in value after sitting a couple of months! :)

I know the feeling about people not paying enough attention, when you talk about sizes and such. My mom asked me about clothes for this holiday season, and I said get me size L (down from XXXL and XXL), as I am getting a lot smaller, and I will continue to. Well, she went ahead and got me XL shirts which are almost too loose now, much less what they are going to be like in 2-3 months. Oh well. At least I'll have a fun time getting an entirely new wardrobe, after New Years!! :)

Perhaps she was thinking she'd offend you more by getting you a gift card to someplace where you couldn't find any clothes that fit...I think that is so embarassing when someone buys you something and you're too big to fit into them. Then you get...go try them on and let me see how you look, bit.

<p>There's an old saying that I like to live by: "Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by . . ." well, the original quote ends with "stupidity" but a better finishing word would be "ignorance." It seems here and elsewhere that people are always ready to take offense at what other people say or do. I just figure the ones they are po'd at don't know what they are talking about or realize what they sound like, and forget it. Makes me feel superior rather than slighted.</p>