Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to get a little freaked out....

I have my surgery scheduled for 12/26 and am starting to get freaked out! I don't know if I'm reading too many posts of people with post-op problems, or if it's totally normal for my nerves to be kicking in right now. I have no reason to think anything is going to go wrong (my doctor says I'm an excellent candidate, I'm 30, never had kids, etc.) but I find myself getting a little more nervous every day.

Is that normal? Does anyone else find that sometimes too much information is a bad thing?

I have my surgery scheduled for 12/26 and am starting to get freaked out! I don't know if I'm reading too many posts of people with post-op problems, or if it's totally normal for my nerves to be kicking in right now. I have no reason to think anything is going to go wrong (my doctor says I'm an excellent candidate, I'm 30, never had kids, etc.) but I find myself getting a little more nervous every day.

Is that normal? Does anyone else find that sometimes too much information is a bad thing?

Pre-op jitters are perfectly normal... Dont worry you'll be all right.. your in good hands... And you got your fellow bandsters to support you along the way...

YOU'LL DO FINE:clap2:

I think it is very normal to get the jitters !! I'm glad I was only given my surgery date 5 days ahead of time because I was not a fun person to be around.

I just went for walks, read a book or played board games to distract myself in addition to doing my coursework and taking care of my son.

Anything that you can do to help you relax (besides eating) is worth a try.

I also had surgery @ a young age (25) and I decided to do it so I can live a longer, happier and healthier life. I am so glad that I did it !! I went for surgery B4 I had any comorbidites and now I NEVER will.

Good Luck to you !!!:clap2:

I start my liquid diet tomorrow, and I am feeling the jitters now too. I spent the last 3 days with a stomach virus. My surgery is New Years Eve. They only gave me that day less than a week ago when my original date was nixed by the hospital. I am not panicked yet.

My best friend is pissing me off, claims its minor surgery,etc. I say any surgery is serious, and should be taken seriously. He says I am worrying about stupid things.

I start my liquid diet tomorrow, and I am feeling the jitters now too. I spent the last 3 days with a stomach virus. My surgery is New Years Eve. They only gave me that day less than a week ago when my original date was nixed by the hospital. I am not panicked yet.

My best friend is pissing me off, claims its minor surgery,etc. I say any surgery is serious, and should be taken seriously. He says I am worrying about stupid things.

I think it is okay to put it in perspective and this is not the same kind of risk as open heart surgery. I think it's also important to be realistic and yes, all surgery has a risk but some have a mega risk and this just isn't one of them but that is a GOOD thing!!

If it is minor or major surgery, how will you take it differently? I mean, you said it needs to be taken seriously, so what are you doing differently for this surgery that you would say... open heart? Or brain mapping? There is nothing you can do.

Have the surgery, lose weight, go on with your life. It's all good!

As much as I have gained from this board in both information and support, there is an over-representation of complications discussed on the board, just like any message board. So don't worry too much. It's good to know what CAN happen but that doesn't mean it WILL happen or even if it does, that it happens every day or that it is as bad as it sounds, etc. When so many people are sharing their experiences -- and we do tend to share the abnormal more than the normal -- it can sound overwhelming.

If you haven't already, check out the December 07 Bandsters board. There's something especially comforting about sharing with people who going through the same thing at the exact same time. ;) Good luck!

I felt exactly the same way. I was banded on 11/26. I was reading everyone's posts up until I had to leave for the hospital. I was more nervous after reading. Here I am 3 weeks later, 24 lbs lighter and on my way. My doctor told me, not to worry about the surgery but worry about what will happen to me if I don't do the surgery. That hit home.

Good luck to you, i'm sure you'll do fine.