Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Different types of bands used.....

Does anyone know what the difference is between the swedish band they are starting to use here in Michigan and the original lapband (the one with the picture of the lion roaring for hunger on the advertisement is?) Thanks - Patti

I know they have an AP band that is large and small. Also johnson and johnson are coming out w/ one. Then of course their is the orginal one like I have. For the AP band it kind of has a groves that is suppose to help prevent slippage. The J&J band is smooth but they say that it's slippage rate is low also. So I don't know that anyone really knows...it's now there is another band for docs to choose from. It's not a solo market anymore. :mad:

My wife and I have the AP standard band. You need to check with the doctor as to what he uses. A lot of times they will not know until they get in and see what is best for you.

Chris

i have the newly FDA approved REALIZE band. it is 9 cc. and what is MOST wonderful about it is the ONLINE support you get withteh REALIZE band. Home - REALIZEBand.com You record your food, exercize, measurements, pictures, goals. the site will send your doctor updates on what you are eatting and your weight loss. there is also someone available live 24/7 to talk about the band and any questions you might have. VERY unique support system that i ahve jsut LOVED using to help keep me on track,

I found this info on an online search. I'm sure you can find more and I'm not sure the date this info was posted on the internet, so it might be outdated.

Q.6 What is the difference between the LAP-BAND and the Swedish Band?

A. From a strictly scientific point of view, both the LAP-BAND and the Swedish Band function in the same manner. From a surgical point of view, if the patient wishes, we can apply either one since the costs are practically the same. Obviously, our preference is the LAP-BAND for a number of reasons:

1). Because it is the type of prosthesis that will be used in the USA, as soon as the investigative trials are completed by the FDA. Moreover, our group has been asked to participate. The Swedish Band will never be utilized in the USA.

2). Because even if a non-expert in the field were to examine the two bands, they would note differences in the design, as well as the quality of silicone in favor of the LAP-BAND.

3). Behind the reputation of the LAP-BAND is a solid multi-national American company, BioEnterics.

4). In Europe, more than 60,000 LAP-BAND procedures have been done. while the Swedish Band totals a few thousand.

A few years ago, my friend's daughter participated in a study where she got the Swedish band at no cost to her. She went for all her fills etc, and originally she lost 40 lbs. Now she has gained that back plus some.

She is now considering RNY revision surgery. Of course, I'm not sure why it failed her or did she fail it? It seems like the latter may be so. She had to get unfilled because she had a swollen esophogus and according to her mother, she was trying to fit what didn't fit and temporarily damaged her esophogus. I guess that can happen with the LapBand too. Well, just thought I'd share that!

Regards,

Alfie

I found this info on an online search. I'm sure you can find more and I'm not sure the date this info was posted on the internet, so it might be outdated.

It's definitely outdated. It was published before the Lap-Band was even approved for use in the US so it's years out of date.

It's also shows a pretty overt bias IMO. For example "The Swedish Band will never be utilized in the USA". What a silly thing to say at the time and it looks even sillier when you know that that band *has* been approved by the FDA and has a very good outcome in clinical trials and actual use.

The Realize Band (aka the Swedish Band) has been in use in the US less time than Imand's Lap-band. That may be a concern to some. But it's not some cheap product made by a fly-by-night "foreign" company with no hope of being approved for use in the US as that article makes it out to be.

The Swedish band known as the Realize band is 14 year old technology. It states clearly in the directions NOT to over fill it past 9cc or it may break. It is a very old product in a new box. That post from April Anne is clearly an Ethicon Rep - anyone who cant see that is an idiot.

My doctor went to the Realize Band training course just to see what it was like and they basically said the Lap Band AP is superior. Also, one of your scars will be twice as big because their port is bigger-

None of the top doctors like Christine Ren or George Fielding from NYU will even touch that hunk a junk NO THANKS!