Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lump Crabmeat - a Great Protein!

I was shocked to find out that Lump crabmeat is only 80 calories a 1/2 cup, 16 grams of Protein, 0 carbs, and no trans or sat fat (only 2 grams of good fat)! I can't tolerate chicken too well, so thought I would share it in case others are in the same boat.

And it is pretty easy to eat. I moistened it with a little cocktail sauce. It was on sale 1/2 price at our store so I bought 4 cans. Lasts for months... I am gonna chuck it in with steamed veggies for dinner..

Any other Lump Crab ideas?:whoo:

I've never bought the lump crabmeat in packages. Does it taste fresh? My biggest qualm with seafood, if it tastes 'fishy' in ANY way, I can't eat it. Like shrimp.. I LOVE it at red lobster, but I've never had it anywhere else that it didn't taste funny.

Lobster & crab.. love love love (and I did find out crab is a good food!), but I either have to get it from a restaurant, or I found 10lb legs in a box at a grocer's once that ended up good when you bake them in the oven. It would be nice to get lump in a package that tastes good.

There's a lot of good lump crab cake recipes out there, healthy ones, so if the meat is good, you could look into that.

Or a crab bisque.. mmmm.

YES!!! Crabmeat is a VERY good protien. My surgeon even told me that. He says oysters are too as long as they are cooked. Any shellfish for that matter.

I'm fortunate. I live on the Texas coast and can get a dozen live blue crabs for $15. It's one of my favorite foods, and I don't even have to give it up. We have crab boils on the back patio. Even better....When you have to crack and pick to get the delicious meat, you don't have a choice but to eat SLOW. LOL

Try making a modified crab cake. Beaten egg. Fat free mayo. (tiny bit) minced green onion, dash of worchestershire and a few bread crumbs to hold it together. Add your favorite spice. Instead of frying, spray a baking pan with PAM and bake it instead, not quite as good as the "real thing" but it's still GOOD! :)

I am also curious about the canned taste. I hate imitation crab meat but I love the real stuff. Also has anyone had the canned shrimp that can give the feedback on its taste too?

yummy wasa! we have shrimp in the fridge thawing for tomorrow... maybe throw some crab in there as well? costco has some king crab in a plastic container that is amazing (but $$$$!) they have cans as well, but I think the plastic container is better...

yum, thanks for this thread!

I go to the Maryland Eastern shore alot and I have always loved crab.

My Maryland crabcakes

1lb fresh backfin crabmeat

1 beaten egg

a heaping T of mayo

Old bay seasoning, don't overdo

dash of dry mustard

blend it all up without breaking up the lumps of crab too much

enough flour to lightly coat the patties that your form, kinda messy

brown on both sides over med heat, takes about 5 mins on each side. Makes about 5

Douse with hot sauce and lemon.

Thanks everyone for the recipes! I am so psyched. And the Canned SuperLump crabmeat tastes delicious, Laura....

I also am from Maryland and live in Virginia, so I always get excited when Crab Season is coming (any month without an R in it, here!) That is a great food. It is good to know that the Imitation crab is carb loaded. Thanks!

WasaB, I can relate to the shrimp thing. I can pick at a back for awhile, but I have to chew the crap outta it. My dogs LOVE IT too. Isnt' that weird? I was shocked..

We are due to lose our Power tonite due to Icing in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, So I bought Salmon and the crab to cook on the grill for the next couple - and a case of Isopure Clear. and Candles. and DH. who needs anything else? oh yeah, and 3 new books. hahaha.

thanks for that I am too from Maryland and Love Crabs and Yes costco has a great lump crab in a can very very good. now that i know this i'm going to go get some more. :clap2:

So, the canned crab, or the king crab at costco in containers (lots of c's here) tastes yum? No fishyness?

You guys have me excited, I would love to be able to eat some easy to throw together crab (and not have to bake the legs and smell up the whole house).

And I'm surprised imitation crab is high in carb, I always thought it was made out of fish?

here is the container of crab from costco... :confused:

it is so incredible. the can is good, but this container (it's kind of tiny) contains big chunks / pieces of crab...

soooooooo good.