Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is "support" to you?

Wheetsin

I see support in different ways. There is the support that I would receive from "real people" (those I know in real life), and support I would receive from "virtual people" (those I know online).

In the virtual world, support to me is getting information or answers to my questions. I'm not an emotionally needy person, and what little I do need I prefer to get from "real people." Most of the things I need support with are significant changes, such as getting banded, for which I don't feel adequately prepared or informed.

So, when I come to a support-based message board, I'm looking for information. I would not be the type to ask "virtual people" to "cheer me up, kick me into gear, help me through hard times, etc. To me, "virtual people" are words on a screen, and I just don't see support coming from that. (Nothing wrong with those who do, just different people types is all.)

So when you come to ANY virtual setting for support, what is that support to you?

My on-line needs are information, entertainment, and the opportunity to discuss/debate various issues. This is why I enjoy R&R and the Lounge so much. I do get a sense of emotional fulfillment whenever I am able to help someone else out. :) I tend to discuss my own problems with my psychologist; that is what I pay her the big bucks for. :scared:

Oh yes, I do need the inetllectual stimulation as well. :scared:

I come here to see what's happening with people and how their progress is going. I like to compare my progress... making sure that I'm doing okay. It's also another form of addiction... keeps me occupied when I'm not working or out with friends. I also have a couple of other sites I go to (not lapband sites) which help as well.

For myself, this site is mainly for informational purposes. I don't really need emotional support, and if I did it wouldn't come from here. What I do need is feedback on the "what the hell??!" moments and some explanations as to what is next on the journey.

The Drama Threads don't really interest me, I have other outlets for that kind of stuff :)

There are times where only another banded person will understand my issue, questions, what have you. When I first joined LBT I didn't know anyone in real time with a band. After being here and my docs board I was able to meet others in my city and we have become good friends. I don't let them get by with silly excuses such as starvation mode, and they don't let me get by with the same issues. One banded person can say things that a non banded person wouldn't dare to say.

I look at LBT as a networking kind of place.

I spend hours on LBT. I don't always see it as support, but like Green, information, entertainment, and a good place to discuss things with others.

I am a believer in giving back, so some of the time on here is spent if I feel someone else is asking for or needing support.

LBT has become sort of a life line for me. I do know others in this town who are banded, but I don't talk to them every day. I like to come here and just check in, and track the threads I am interested in, whether they are lap band related or not. I have to admit, I spend a lot less time with emails to other people, since

being banded and wanting to spend so much time here.

I have learned a lot more from this site than from my surgeons office. I also come to this site for inspiration when I'm starting to misbehave.