Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting and the band...

I've been reading a lot of posts about how vomiting is very bad for the band and that the band can "slip"...my doctor never said one thing about this and there was nothing on that in my literature.

Can someone PLEASE give me information on this? What does it mean to have your band slip? What actually happens?

I'm worried now becuase I just had a fill on tues. and haven't been able to get much down until tonight (i had a very small piece of meatloaf and a spoonful of mashed potatos).

Up until tonight I've been throwing up after I eat something. However I have to make myself throw up because the food feels stuck in my chest. Not to be gross but everything comes back up quite easily without really any stomache spasms...

Insight anyone?

This is from the printed information given to me by my surgeon before the op:

"REMEMBER

In the first month, gradually increase the food and ensure that you eat slowly. Avoid a situation of food getting stuck as vomiting, especially early, may tear sutures around the band and increase the risk of SLIPPAGE and further surgery."

My doctor gave me 2 types of anti-nausea medicine to take home after the surgery. One is Metoclopramide, which is for general nausea, to be taken up to 4 times a day if necessary. The other is Ondansetron, which is a wafer to be put under the tongue in "emergencies" only, i.e. if you are just about to chuck. He was very insistant that I don't let myself get to the point of heaving, and apparently the latter stops the urge instantly. I haven't needed to take either yet (4 days post-op) but I'm hanging onto them for possible future problems.

You might want to talk to your doctor or chemist about anti-nausea medicines. Better to have them on hand and stop the heaves before they begin, than to let it get to the stage of needing a trip to the ER.

I haven't had a fill yet, but everything I've read about them says that you should go back onto liquids for at least 24 hrs after a fill, so if you've been trying solid foods again straight after a fill, that could explain the vomiting.

If I were you, I'd go onto liquids for a day, then mushies for a day, then back to normal band eating after that, on every fill. That's my plan anyway...

First google hit for "lap band slippage" - they all say about the same thing. Note the underlined bits (my underlining):

"The two most common complications associated with the LAP-BAND® procedure are band slippage (up to 3-5%) and band erosion (up to 1%). A band slippage can be described as when a portion of the stomach slips up through the band and causes dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), nausea/vomiting, and acid reflux. Band slippage can be caused by a repeated or sudden increase in intraabdominal pressure. This could be related to repeated vomiting or even trauma caused by a car accident. A band slippage usually requires the patient to return to the operating room for repair. A band erosion is related to the pressure of the band being wrapped around a hollow organ. Over time, the band may erode through the stomach wall and if this occurs, reoperation is required. "

Just based on my research on this board, it sounds more like you are over-filled. I would call your doc and talk to him/her about it. They would know more about your personal situation and could help you with a resolution.

... A band slippage usually requires the patient to return to the operating room for repair.

This is incorrect. The most common way to fix a slip is to unfill the person and put them on liquids again for 2-3 weeks. This is how slips are fixed 80% of the time. The other 20% will likely need surgery to either fix the slip or do a different WLS.

I realize the above is not something you wrote, I just wanted to point out for the sake of newbies that not all slips require surgical repair.