Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS and MS (getting the sleeve)

Posting in a few places in hopes of getting more responses.

I have MS and I'm set for surgery on May 3rd. My neuro cleared me, but I only just found out that wls can actually aggravate MS and bring on a flare. I had no clue. Now I'm really nervous about the surgery. I wasn't until I read the articles online this morning. I was hoping that having the sleeve would present far less issues with taking my pills (I'm on Tecfidera, Baclofen, Celebrex, and Gabapentin) but then I read about people who had a harder time with the nausea and keeping anythng down and struggling with their pills. I think I'm in a bit of a panic now. Hoping there's others on here with MS and wls that can gie me their honest opinions and experiences.

I hope you get some good answers on here from someone with MS who has had WLS. Good luck.

Hi! :1305_wave_tone1:

I don't have MS but I have RA. I know it's like comparing apples and oranges, but they're still fruit. They're both still autoimmune diseases. I've had umm about six surgeries since my diagnosis and I've never experienced a flare from surgery. I do experience flares still occasionally, so it's not that I do not flare, but surgery never brings them on. My rheumy attributes my lack of flares to be that my RA is pretty much in remission. My rheumy is my biggest cheerleader for getting revision to RNY. She says getting to a more normal bmi will decrease inflammation and make my disease even milder. She says if I do flare after surgery, no problem, she'll just administer a steroid injection.

So your neuro cleared you for surgery, they must feel that the benefits of the surgery will outweigh the risks. If you have any doubt, schedule another appointment with your neuro and discuss it with them.

Has your wls surgeon okay'ed you for continuing the celebrex after sleeve surgery? I stopped mine after committing to revision to RNY. I had to know I could survive without it forever.

I wish you all the best!

I don't have MS but I have bipolar disorder, so I take a lot of pills. I haven't had any trouble keeping anything down except the Multivitamin. I also had the sleeve. I took all my pills starting the night of my surgery, never missed any.

You can try doing a search for MS or multiple sclerosis in the search bar on this site to see if anyone else has posted. Good luck!

I replied on your other post, but I forgot that celebrex is an NSAID, so make sure both your surgeon and your neurologist are okay with you continuing on it after surgery. Some surgeons are fine with NSAIDS for occasional use, and I believe the COX2 inhibitors are less tough on the stomach anyway, but it's good to check.

As far as the Celebrex goes, nobody has said anything about it. But I think I'll call my surgeon tomorrow and ask. My neuro is a big advocate for smoking weed for MS pain (I live in Colorado...what a shocker lol) or giving narcotic pain relief, but I refused both (not my jam at all) so he gave me Celebrex for the inflammation, which takes the edge off and keeps it manageable. I don't think he wants me to be off it because he doesn't want me to have absolutely nothing for pain since I still have quite a bit most days. My surgeon didn't say anything when we went over my meds, but maybe that's because it's a sleeve and not bypass??? I'll call tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning it!!

4 hours ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Hi! :1305_wave_tone1:

I don't have MS but I have RA. I know it's like comparing apples and oranges, but they're still fruit. They're both still autoimmune diseases. I've had umm about six surgeries since my diagnosis and I've never experienced a flare from surgery. I do experience flares still occasionally, so it's not that I do not flare, but surgery never brings them on. My rheumy attributes my lack of flares to be that my RA is pretty much in remission. My rheumy is my biggest cheerleader for getting revision to RNY. She says getting to a more normal bmi will decrease inflammation and make my disease even milder. She says if I do flare after surgery, no problem, she'll just administer a steroid injection.

So your neuro cleared you for surgery, they must feel that the benefits of the surgery will outweigh the risks. If you have any doubt, schedule another appointment with your neuro and discuss it with them.

Thank you so much for this!!! I know I'll always have flares. That's the nature of MS. I was diagnosed at 39 (I'm 43 now) so I'm used to it. I just started to panic at the thought of the surgery causing it to flare while I'm trying to heal from the surgery itself. And while I know that it's possible, at least I know it's not a given. Thanks!!

3 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I don't have MS but I have bipolar disorder, so I take a lot of pills. I haven't had any trouble keeping anything down except the Multivitamin. I also had the sleeve. I took all my pills starting the night of my surgery, never missed any.

You can try doing a search for MS or multiple sclerosis in the search bar on this site to see if anyone else has posted. Good luck!

Thanks for this!! Even if I have to stop the Celebrex, I cannot stop the others. And it really helps knowing taking pills is possible with the sleeve. Do you think we can do multi Vitamin gummies? If they don't allow as much of the Vitamins to be absorbed, would Gummy pre natal vitamins work? They have higher amounts so maybe we would have a better shot of getting the right amount in us. I have to take D3 for my MS (and at a higher done than recomended for wls, and they're small, so that's fine) and the B12 can be multiple ways that don't involve pills.

1 hour ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

As far as the Celebrex goes, nobody has said anything about it. But I think I'll call my surgeon tomorrow and ask. My neuro is a big advocate for smoking weed for MS pain (I live in Colorado...what a shocker lol) or giving narcotic pain relief, but I refused both (not my jam at all) so he gave me Celebrex for the inflammation, which takes the edge off and keeps it manageable. I don't think he wants me to be off it because he doesn't want me to have absolutely nothing for pain since I still have quite a bit most days. My surgeon didn't say anything when we went over my meds, but maybe that's because it's a sleeve and not bypass??? I'll call tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning it!!

Wow he's an advocate for narcotics?? That's almost unheard of here. Everything has changed recently. So glad I'm so much better and not going to pain management anymore. I traded Celebrex for CBD oil and it seems to be keeping the inflammation down pretty well. I was on Celebrex for years and although everyone is different. I did develop GERD with my lap band and even after it was removed I had some reflux for a while until I stopped the Celebrex. So I came to the conclusion that it was irritating my stomach to some degree. So just be aware that it's possible.

1 hour ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

Thank you so much for this!!! I know I'll always have flares. That's the nature of MS. I was diagnosed at 39 (I'm 43 now) so I'm used to it. I just started to panic at the thought of the surgery causing it to flare while I'm trying to heal from the surgery itself. And while I know that it's possible, at least I know it's not a given. Thanks!!

You're welcome! And I wouldn't say always. You never know what the future holds. Once you lose your weight you might get the inflammation under control and be asymptomatic. I know as I've lost weight my RA has gotten better and better. I never dreamed I would ever be functioning without a biologic and without Celebrex. But I am. So have hope! I was diagnosed about 20 years ago. So I know what you mean about being used to it. 😉

41 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Wow he's an advocate for narcotics?? That's almost unheard of here. Everything has changed recently. So glad I'm so much better and not going to pain management anymore. I traded Celebrex for CBD oil and it seems to be keeping the inflammation down pretty well. I was on Celebrex for years and although everyone is different. I did develop GERD with my lap band and even after it was removed I had some reflux for a while until I stopped the Celebrex. So I came to the conclusion that it was irritating my stomach to some degree. So just be aware that it's possible.

You're welcome! And I wouldn't say always. You never know what the future holds. Once you lose your weight you might get the inflammation under control and be asymptomatic. I know as I've lost weight my RA has gotten better and better. I never dreamed I would ever be functioning without a biologic and without Celebrex. But I am. So have hope! I was diagnosed about 20 years ago. So I know what you mean about being used to it. 😉

He would rather I smoke weed lol But when I refused, he said he could put me on a pain management regimen that happened to include Tramadol, which is a huge no no in my book. There's always pain, but when I'm in an active flare it's almost unbearable. I will be calling about the Celebrex tomorrow. I've been thinking about CBD oil for a while but there's so many different kinds and strengths out there that I get overwhelmed and forget it.

9 hours ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

Do you think we can do multi Vitamin gummies?

I do this, as we have to be pretty on top of Vitamins with the significant malabsorption with MGB (multi, D, Calcium gummies + B12 sublingual). So far it works and my numbers are good. Make sure to choose the ones made of sugar alternatives instead of straight-up Syrup, and do keep in mind all of them have calories.

11 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

I do this, as we have to be pretty on top of Vitamins with the significant malabsorption with MGB (multi, D, Calcium gummies + B12 sublingual). So far it works and my numbers are good. Make sure to choose the ones made of sugar alternatives instead of straight-up Syrup, and do keep in mind all of them have calories.

Awesome, thanks!!