Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post op and vomiting?

Hello everyone. I am almost 4 weeks postop, I had my sleeve surgery on February 21st. In general, after the first week, I have not had any issues with vomiting. However today, I had a pretty bad episode. I ate some scrambled eggs (I’m still in puréed and I’m trying really hard to stick to the plan) , and had a lot of belching right after (is that gerd? I hope not!). About 15 minutes later I felt it coming back up and vomited everything back up. My main question is— what could have caused this? Did I eat too fast? Was it not chewed enough? Was it too much (I measured about 3.5 oz)? Could it have been a combination of all three?
I’m hoping some people at or further in their timeline can help me out or share their experiences. I was also a bit concerned because I saw some bright red flecks and it was tinged pink at the end. Not alot but enough that I noticed. Is my pouch ok?

Thank you all!

Gosh, hope you’re OK! I haven’t even had my op yet so I don’t know why I’m replying really…but were you given anyone to contact for after your op? And, for what it’s worth I would say that if this is a one off event then don’t stress, but if you have any pain ongoing or this happens again then seek medical help asap.

a lot of people have issues with eggs when they're early out (and you're still early out!), so that might be the issue. If it only seems to be eggs that are making you sick, then lay off them for awhile and maybe try again in another month or so.

It’s not GERD so you can breath. This is pretty common. Sometimes it’s your fussy sensitive tummy & you‘ll be able to eat that same food in a day or so without issue. Sometimes it’s eating too much or too fast. Sometimes what you ate isn’t quite soft or runny or moist/wet enough & it gets ‘stuck’. Sometimes it’s that you’re just not ready for that particular food yet. It’s part of the fun & a fair bit of trial & error. I often had the foamies - spitting up excess saliva & sometimes regurgitate the last bite or so of what I ate in the first weeks especially in the morning. I can’t burp so I would cough or want to thump my chest first. And yes it happens pretty quickly but also passes quickly.

Yes I have the surgeon and the dr at the weight loss center to contact. I feel ok (slight tummy ache) other than that episode so I’m going to definitely call both in the morning. I just didn’t think (hoping) it didn’t warrant calling the on call dr. .
I’ve been trying scrambled eggs for about a week and was doing ok but I agree I’m going to probably back off that for a while. I’m supposed to start soft foods this week but I don’t feel confident in doing that after today.
Thank you both!