Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would you do?

Hello. I have been banded 9 weeks tomorrow (about 22# down since surgery). I have not had a fill. I met with my surgeon at the 6 week mark and last week. He says I'm doing great and no fill necessary. I am losing about 1# per week sometimes more (up to 3#) sometimes less (.4#).

I don't want to be one those people that thrive off of eating a tiny bit of food but in a way I suppose I was looking forward to being full off of little bits. I eat pretty normally. I had a home-made vegettarian taco and a salad last night. I had an englich muffin with PB and a banana for bkfst. I am eating a chicken, rice and veggie tonight. You know, normal meals and very normal sizes.

If you were me, would you just shut-up and be happy that you are losing weight while eating like there isn't a band or would you get a fill to accelerate the weightloss (possibly) and be full on less. My doctor was excited that I didn't need one?!

So, what would you do?

Oh, I don't know if this helps but I am pretty active, cardio training, strength training, flexibility training, plus I coach a Varsity sports team so I am active with the team as well. I usually take 1-2 days off a week where I don't do much extra physical activity.

There are multiple reasons as to why people get fills. 1. they are consuming too much. 2. they are not losing 1-2 lbs per week or 3. they are constantly hungry. If you feel you are doing 1 of these 3 then you need a fill. There is nothing wrong with losing 2 lbs per week. I would ask for a fill.

I know I was more interested in getting a fill, so I could continue to process the lapband/effectiveness. I am at a good restriction now, but it is hard. I have lots of mental/issues with food apparently. I miss just being able to chow something down. Now I must eat with care, or I will be very sorry. I think if I was dropping a lb to three lbs each week, it would be hard for me to think I needed a fill. After all, that is healthy weight loss. I have great restriction but I only lose 3-5 lbs a month. So, in fact it is a great thing not to need a fill yet for you, but I can understand how your brain is saying "but it's time",I would wait. When the losing gets less consistent, harder for you, then maybe it will be a good time to take it to another level. Thats my two cents.:)

My doctor says his rule of thumb is if you do not loose 8-10 pounds a month he gives you a fill. I have had to have a fill or 2 inbetween appts. because I had NO restriction...Had my fourth fill on Tues. and it is FINALLY working. The scale is really moving down and I couldn't be more thrilled.

This surgery cost a lot financially and mentally. Keep calling your doc until you are satisfied with your results. That is why he/she gets paid the big bucks....

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I am probably going to hold off a but longer. It's strange, ever since I git banded, I am harder on myself. Before the band I would be thrilled to lose any amount of weight. I will get a fill when I stop losing weight, when the rate is less than 6 (average between 1-2# per wk) pounds per month or when my hunger is more frequent.

Thanks again for all of your 2 cents.

Your situation sounds like mine. My doctor won't give me a fill unless I lose less than the average 1-2# per week. I was discouraged at first, but he knows best I guess...I go in for a second fill appointment on Jan 9th, we'll see how it goes now. I can tell that i'm able to eat more at each sitting now and I get hungry every 2-3 hours...we shall see...