Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting the Bariatric Process surgery in 4 months

I am looking for some friends to help me succeed with this journey. My name is Lisa and I am having gastric bypass in 4 months. I have already lost 11 pounds in less than 2 weeks. I need to lose a total of 130 pounds. I welcome any tips for before and after surgery and someone to talk to when I have questions or concerns.

That's that these threads are full of - just the type of information you're looking for. Take a stroll around the many topics and you'll find most everything you'd need to know, but also feel free to ask any specific questions if you don't see it otherwise addressed in the forums. Good luck on your WLS journey.

Welcome and Good luck!

These boards are AWESOME! I joined when I was about 6 months before surgery. I learned so much. But remember, your results may vary, and people have different experiences. And, always ask your surgery center for medical concerns.

I would recommend start tracking your progress now - take pictures of yourself in a doorway, take your measurements, etc. You'll want to look back on these "before" and "during" pictures as you go along. Sometimes you will get frustrated when the weight loss is going slowly and it's so nice to see that you've made a lot of progress.

Its' great that you've already lost 11 lbs! Any weight you lose now is weight you won't have to lose after surgery. I lost 50 lbs before surgery (although I got a bit stalled by food funerals towards the end, which is very common).

Keep us posted!

Welcome Lisa. Great tip lizonaplane. I will add to get all the unflattering angles that will really show what your losing. I didn’t get those because I hate having my picture taken and didn’t want my husband to see them (as if he didn’t notice when I am naked, right?). Anyways, if you are like me and don’t want to ask someone you know my aunt had a good suggestion after the fact to ask the nurse at the surgery center to take a few before pictures. The after ones most of us don’t mind posing for.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Good luck on your journey Lisa. I didn't find this forum until after my surgery but I have learned so much from everyone here. I hope the run down to your surgery goes smoothly.

Yes to all that! I would also add that I have the Renpho scale and SMART measuring tape. There are bunch of different SMART tools out there, so you don't have to get that one, but I absolutely agree with starting the documentation now. If/When you get down, you can look back at all the progress you made. It's really inspiring!

I also joined here 6 months before my surgery and I think that was one of the reasons I've been successful. I felt really prepared for anything that might happen after surgery so when I had gas, felt pain, stalled, etc... I knew what to do. Good luck!!

Hi Lisa! I am about the same time out until my surgery. I will be getting a revision surgery from the lap band to the RNY bypass. Sounds like you are off to a good start and already losing weight! I am trying to do WW right now, but the weight is barely moving. I would be happy to be your weight loss friend during this journey. I just bought a helpful book on Amazon called “The Big Book on Gastric Bypass” By Alex Brecher. Have you started your classes yet?

Hi Lisa! One tip is give you is that: fat isn't "weight" and that you're definitely going to have weight stalls but that definitely doesn't mean you aren't losing fat - so make your peace with that from the get go to avoid disappointment later on.

Hi I am still in the approval process for the surgery. I have so many questions about the bypass surgery. I have read so many horror stories. Like the "dumping", nausea, diarrhea....Can a person even leave the house in case these things might happen? How expensive are the supplements, Vitamins, etc? Where is the best place to get your Protein Shakes, etc.? Can you still take your current medications, even if they are large pills? How many nights were you in the hospital? Can you get dehydrated easily? Can you lose too much weight? Lots of questions, please put up with me. Hope to hear from someone soon. Thank you.