Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do you eat when you're not hungry

Ok, I just started soft foods yesterday and I have a dillema. I ate an egg yesterday and was not hungry for seven hours! Today, I had some soft chicken from an asian salad and again, not hungry for hours. I ate about three bites of sloppy joe (just the meat) at dinner, but I really wasn't hungry, so I quit.

I know we're supposed to have regular meals and I'm sure in a few weeks this won't be a problem, but do you all eat when you're not hungry so that you don't skip meals?

It's weird, because I was so hungry while I was still on liquids and now I'm so not. I'm sure this goes away, but I really am wondering how other people handle not being hungry once they're eating real food.

Thanks!

hey well i just got my second fill on nov. 27th and i have a 10cc band but my doctor only filled it up to 5.6cc. what kind of band do u have and how much cc did your doctor put? i feel hungry sometimes like if i have a waffel for breakfast...i will be starving like 2hrs later but if i have like a cup of total ceral i am not hungry to like 5hrs later..i guess it all depends on what you eat. if you eat a lot of whole grain or Fiber stuff you will be full. thats how it is with me. but i usually do eat my lunch and dinner even when i don't feel too hungry cuz i don't want to eat so late. i hope i helped u out.

Are you taking any Vitamins or anything? It is going to be important to try to keep your nutrition up, or you will begin to feel fatigued very easily, or even lower your immunity to illness I understand.

With that being said, the goal is to not eat if you are not hungry---part of that being that the stomach must still be holding food, and you do not want to overfill it and risk eventual dilation.

That seems to me as if it would be very unlikely, because as you lose, from not eating so much, your band will become naturally looser, and then you will be able to eat more, until the next fill etc.

Sounds to me as if you are handling it, eating just a bit, and making good choices of things to eat. Not shoving a chip in just to make sure something gets eaten!!!

Another question! Are you drinking plenty --- after the recommended waiting period? Drinking your Water will help flush the pouch of the food, and allow you to eat. You need the hydration, and as you know even if you flush out the whole egg eventually---all you are going to do is eat another small amount at lunch---you are not going to be able to go back to eating 2 eggs, sausage, toast, and hashbrowns---those days are gone----aren't you amazed!!

Try increasing the amount of Fluid you are drinking, and see if you are not able to eat 3 small meals and at times a few bites will be all you might be able to eat---I would not worry about it--but you might make note to remember to ask your Dr. when you see him.

These are just some guesses!!! We all react so differently---it is hard to guage what is right for someone else.

Good Luck---

Kat

I am sure that eventually you will be more hungry and feel like eating. More people complain about being hungry all the time than

complain about never being hungry.

Just follow your doctor's instructions.

I don't eat sugar and keep fairly low carb. I am never hungry. I usually eat a meal either because I want to eat for the flavor and texture of food in my mouth, or because I know I should. If I don't eat meals I will snack on less healthy stuff.

If I waited to have real hunger pains I would not ever eat!

I think you should definitely discuss it with your Dr. if it does not change, so that he can guide you. There are some people my surgeon said, that the mere placement of the band itself, brings it in contact with the Vagus (?) nerve, and that eliminates the hunger signal.

Common sense says to me---that you should eat....but take full advantage of the non hunger, to cut down the amount, the frequency, and to assure that what you do bother with eating, is healthy and full of nourishment for your body as it continues to heal.

While it would be nice to just be able to avoid all food while you are not hungry, that is not the ideal thing for your body.

I also think Snowbird has a valid point. If you make sure to stay full on the healthy foods in your eating plan, then you will be much less likely to snack on the less healthy, merely for the distraction of eating, or the burst of flavor---or whatever.

You will find your path----what a great start you have!!!

Kat

I got a fill yesterday and I am so happy that I felt full all day. That didn't stop me from sampling the chocolate covered pretzels that were on display at Walmart though.

I am learning not to eat when I am not hungry I am have the same experience I just started mush stage and I had a half can Soup and I felt stuff for the rest of the day but but I am head hungry so I still try to eat tuna I can only get a tablespoon of it down before I felt like I was going to bust

No, I don't, not unless I am sick and having trouble getting food in in general or there is some compelling reason for me to eat. If I don't get hungry for lunch, I don't eat lunch. Thats ok. Then I'll be able to enjoy dinner more. And usually when that happens it means I did something right, like have lots of Protein for Breakfast and take Vitamins.

But if I start eating for the wrong reasons, then the band doesn't help as much as it could. Do I eat then because I get happy or sad? How about because I'm bored? Etc. Thats sort of like some of the things I did before. I eat because I feel hungry or a craving or something. Otherwise, i feel it is best if I do not.

I agree with that when you are as far out of surgery as we are, but the OP is a newbie with her band, and needs the nourishment to heal, and maintain her energy.

As soon as she gets used to the ups and downs and the eats and can't eats, she will be able to do that, I think in our own way if we are really in tune with our bands and our bodies, we know....plus as you say, you know if what you ate leading into the not hungry or the starving meal had something to do with it.

I answered the way I did simply because I know that a week or 2 into being banded, I just felt drained ALL the time. I was borderline depressed, just blah! At that time an experienced bandster suggested high Protein, steadily 3 X a day, just to feed my body, so it could heal. Within 2-3 days it was a huge difference! I was not particularly hungry so just nibbled---I needed nourishment!

Now--a year and a half later, I try to eat regularly so I am not tempted to overdo the next meal, or to avoid getting really hungry and making bad choices, but that is just me, and how I choose to work with my band.

Amazing we all get here, with every step being different for everyone, all our Dr.'s orders are different! Our ability to eat things is different---it just seems so wild, that we all are so varied!!

Kat