Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! I hurt when I drink,

I just got my lap band surgery on Monday 2 days ago, and I am having alot of truoble drinking anything, I take very small amounts of Water, juice, and Atkins shake and I feel miserable, it hurts for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Any advice, will I feel any better, the doctor told me the band was on their really tight, what can I do???

Current weight 426

My goal weight 250

Dr. Mossier, Denton, Tx

Banded 12/10/07

My Myspace page - MySpace.com - BLVD ACES CEO - 41 - Male - NATIONWIDE, Texas - www.myspace.com/blvdaceskingpin

I didn't experience that until I was filled too tight. I think if it were me I'd call the doctor and tell him that liquids hurt going down. As a matter of fact I'd do it ASAP you don't want to get dehydrated you might have to go to the hopital and be put on IV fluids if you do!

I didn't experience that until I was filled too tight. I think if it were me I'd call the doctor and tell him that liquids hurt going down. As a matter of fact I'd do it ASAP you don't want to get dehydrated you might have to go to the hopital and be put on IV fluids if you do!

yep call the doc..also make sure you are drinking room temp drinks..anything that i drink thats too cold or hot hurts at first..but seriously call the doc

<p><p>I called the dr this morning and he saw me right away, he said my band was on tight and the swelling need to go down that I would feel better and just to drink Water, or I can get admitted into the hospital and get an IV and wait for the swelling to go down, I get hickups and my saliva comes up and I have to spit it out, it this normal what can I do, I hate to driknk anything because it just makes me feel real bad. I cant even lay down to rest my chest feels bloated. Please advise...</p></p>

Current weight 426

My goal weight 250

Dr. Mossier, Denton, Tx

Banded 12/10/07

I just had my surgery last Thursday. I had the same problem, not as extreme as you. Your stomach is still very swollen inside. I agree not to drink anything cold, that hurts worse. It has only been 2 days. You need to lay down and relax so your body can heal. Tiny sips is all you need to take throughout the day. It took me about 3 days before I could drink without sharp pains in my stomach and chest. I am day 7 now and I can eat creamy or mashed up stuff with no problems. Just relax and give your body time to adjust. Your stomach has to get used to being squeezed by the band. I think you will be okay. IV fluids will make you bloat also, you may still be bloated from the fluids before and after your surgery. Take is easy and rest, stay off of your feet and don't bend over to pick things up. That seemed to help me the most (not bending over).

<p>Thanks for the advice Audrician, I will take it easy and wait it out a few more days, I hope I get better soon, Thanks again...</p>

Current weight 426

My goal weight 250

Dr. Mossier, Denton, Tx

Banded 12/10/07

<p>If their is anyone out there I can call for advice please send me a phone # to call thru email to blvdaces@aol.com or send me a message here, Thanks everyone.</p>

Current weight 426

My goal weight 250

Dr. Mossier, Denton, Tx

Banded 12/10/07

It is typical to feel uncomfortable/pain when drinking for the first week or so after surgery. Everything is swolen and irritated. You just gotta take it very slow and very small sips. It will get better.

I LOVED my ice chips in the hospital. It seemed to sooth my stomach ache. I do recall being REAL tight when I got home for several days. The swelling is all gone now and I can drink a bottle of Water REAL easy. I know after i get the "sweet spot" I will not be able to do this... That kinda upsets me... I LOVE to drink a glass of Water after mowing the lawn or something.

Take it easy ACE. The swelling will subside and you will feel better.

<p><p>Thanks everyone for your advice, today was a tough day, I tried to drink some Water and later some Protein shake, I kept like gaging up all of it I cannot seem to keep any to go down, even when I take a teaspoon at a time. Its hard on me, I cant even lay down on my back to sleep I gasp for air as my chest hurts and I am very uncomfortable.</p> <p> </p> <p>Current weight 426</p> <p>My goal weight 250</p> <p>Dr. Mossier, Denton, Tx</p> <p>Banded 12/10/07</p></p>

If you cant even keep a teaspoon of liquid down that is SERIOUS. Gasping for air??? That is SERIOUS. It sounds like you need to have a FIRM talk with your surgeon. Call him and get his but out to the office and give you an unfill or something. At least ask him if there is any Fluid in the band from surgery that he CAN take out.

I was told by my doc. if I had any shortness of breath to call IMMEDIATELY!

Are you sure your doc is taking you serious? It kinda sounds like he is sloughing you off to me. Why did he put the band in "really tight" he is the surgeon... he is supposed to know that there is even more swelling of the stomach AFTER the surgery. I had really good restriction for a few days after surgery but, MY GOSH, nothing like your going through. GET HIS ATTENTION!

Could it be that he fit you with a band that is too small? That is why they make multiple sizes!

The surgeon did mention he placed the biggest band made on me, I am trying to sleep sitting down at angle on my sofa because I cant lay down, I was able to sleep on my back the first 2 days and keep some liquids to go thru but by the third day and fourth yesterday I am in the position I am right now, "MISERABLE"!

Ace...

Honestly, you need to go to your doc and insist on a barium swallow. Your symptoms are that of being too tight and they are also the same as slip. This needs to be diagnosed and taken care of.

Which band did you get? One of the newer bands is too big for everyone and they put just enough saline in it during your banding surgery so it fits well. If you got that kind of a band they can always remove a bit of the saline.

I had similar symptoms after my surgery and after suffering for a few weeks and having some tests, I was given IV fluids and all my problems went away. It seems that dehydration can make the band feel much tighter, and so it is a catch-22. Don't wait, get the IV fluids asap.