Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week of Decemb er17th

Yes, I am on a post-op diet.

Week 1(ends Saturday) Full liquid

Week 2 & 3(starts Saturday -- YES!!) pureed foods

Week 4 & 5 soft foods

Week 6 foods as tolerated.

No soda, no coffee. I have been very good, not cheating at all. Maybe an extra 1oz of a cream Soup, but nothing more.

RonKat! Wow! My husband was banded two years ago and he also lost very quickly. His post op diet was also more restrictive. I'm thinking he was on clear liquid for a week, then full liquid for two, then pureed for two, then soft for two. The surgeon that did his had just started doing bands. And I think they may have been following the RNY diet.

My dietitian allows pureed the day after surgery for 2 weeks, then soft for 2 weeks, then low fat/low carb for life.

Keep it up!

RonKat,

He's lost around 140 lbs. After he was able to eat regular food he would lose 2 -3 lbs per week. In the last 6 months it has slowed, but he probably needs another fill. He has an appointment in January. I don't think he's had a fill for a year. The last couple of times he went in the doctor didn't want to do it yet. He started at 369. He'd like to get to around 200. He's 6'3". Right now people are thinking he's too thin, mind you when he was at this weight when our kids were young his doctor told him he'd never see them graduate if he didn't get below 200. He has no health issues. Funny how much things change about how we perceive weight in 20+ years.

He has never had PBing or sliming. When I asked him about it he had no clue what I was talking about. He does hiccup when he gets full. And he stops at the first hiccup. Only once did he think he might have to bring something up, but didn't and was okay. He's careful to eat slowly.

I went to my post op appt today. All looks good. I am down

8.5 PBS since pre op!

I too lost 8.5lbs since surgery on the 19th!! Hooray for both of us!!!!

RonKat,

I forgot to mention that my DH got off to a rather slow start. He went to Barix in Columbus OH area. His surgeon Dr. Barbara left the facility several weeks after his surgery. (The docs there work on contract for the corporation and they decided not to renew his contract; we heard they rethought that decision and asked him to stay, but he'd already made other plans.) He was the only one there who did lap band at the time. So DH had to wait until another surgeon was trained long and short he was several months waiting for his first fill. But once he started losing it was all good.

Hi All! I'm needing some support. This liquid diet is driving me crazy. I think I'm in the "regretting it" stage. I was going over my post-op stuff, according to it I'll never be eating over 500 calories and 2 ozs per meal. Is this correct? Also it says I can NEVER eat corn, nuts, coconut and other stuff. I've lost 12 lbs but haven't lost anything for several days. I know I''m griping but I needed to get it off my chest....Anyone else feeling like this?

Hi All! I'm needing some support. This liquid diet is driving me crazy. I think I'm in the "regretting it" stage. I was going over my post-op stuff, according to it I'll never be eating over 500 calories and 2 ozs per meal. Is this correct? Also it says I can NEVER eat corn, nuts, coconut and other stuff. I've lost 12 lbs but haven't lost anything for several days. I know I''m griping but I needed to get it off my chest....Anyone else feeling like this?

Frisky1, you are not alone! I have periods of regret, but then I remember the reasons why I had the surgery in the first place. I think of all of my favorite foods that will probably be off limits (like angel hair Pasta and cheeseburgers) and I start to feel remorse. However, I snap myself right out of it when I think that those foods only bring momentary pleasure. We had this surgery to add longevity and improve the quality of our lives so that we will have more time to spend with the people that we love and doing the things that we enjoy. We didn't have the surgery so that we could have more time to stuff our faces.

In regards to the foods that you mentioned, I haven't heard that those were restricted. I have heard that once you get to the solid food stage you should try one new food at each meal (and eat even slower!). Everyone will have different tolerance levels, so who knows! You may be able to still enjoy those items in moderation.

Every bariatric center has different aims for their patients. As a guideline, my surgeon suggests eating between 900-1200 calories per day. Caloric intake varies for all people based on one's metabolism and activity level, so it is really important to follow what your doctor has suggested to you. If he/she hasn't given you specific requirements, ask him/her for them at your next appointment.

As part of your pre-op requirements, did you have to see a nutritionist? If you didn't, I would suggest seeing one affiliated with your bariatric center. They will be able to go over a detailed diet plan, teach you how to make good food choices, and explain what goals they would like to see you fulfill.

You are doing a great job, so don't get discouraged!

Thanks Merry Nymph! You are right about the reasons we have chosen this path. I'm pre-diabetic and I see what my mother goes through everyday. I do not want that. I have to remember always why I'm doing this. I didn't see a nutritionist. I have Kaiser and they gave us a list of foods to eat at each stage. Clear Liquids, Full liquids, Soft and Moist and Solid foods. It says we should eat 500 calories a day, eat 5 times a day and only 2oz. at a time. I know that I've had at least 4 ozs of Soup a few times. It's so crazy to see all the different eating plans. Even my stuff contradicts itself.

Hey fellow banders --

Today(1/2) I had my post-op visit. I can move onto full excersise, but no lifting weights! I have been feeling great walking 2-3 miles a day since my surgery on 12/21.

I get my first fill, if needed, on 1/30. I am finding some days I am starving and others I could careless about eating. I am sure that this is normal, but it is inconsistent.

As of today I have lost 32#'s in a lttle les than 2 weeks. I feel great, people are noticing the weight loss. My attitude is great, my energy is great. I have not cheated at all and am exremely focused. I am determined to make myself a healthier person.

These tickers are a pain in the ass. Everytime I go to update mine it does not recognize my pin. Does anyone else have this problem?

As of today I have lost 32#'s in a lttle les than 2 weeks. I feel great, people are noticing the weight loss. My attitude is great, my energy is great. I have not cheated at all and am exremely focused. I am determined to make myself a healthier person.

That is frickin' phenomenal! :clap2:

Regarding ticker/pin issues: You may want to try deleting your Cookies first and then enter your pin. If that doesn't work, you can always start from scratch.

I had my first post op appointment today too. Not doing nearly as well as RonKat, but not unhappy. Keep it up!!!

I have all lifting restrictions removed but was told not to do any stomach crunches yet... Like I was really looking forward to THAT. LOL It's probably a no brainer that this ol' granny isn't going to be doing much heavy lifting anyway. Afterall, isn't that what DH is for?

I'll have my first fill on 1/16. I'm also finding that my appetite varies from day to day. So far it's never been over the top, but many days I forget to eat all the meals and Snacks I'm supposed to be eating. Usually 3 - 4 rather than 5 - 6. I'm also having a hard time remembering my liquid Vitamins. Then there's exercise.... Well one step at a time here.

I keep meaning to go work out....but I have too many excuses not to go. I am tired. I need to eat, it is too cold, the gym is too full, man I have a ton of them What I need to do is just go.

I joined a gym . . . but because of my hip, knee and back problems, they won't let me on the machinery until I get a note from my PCP. So I dropped that off to her yesterday. Meanwhile, I went to the pool to just be moving around . . . but my suit is like 2 years old . . . and have you ever seen what a suit with chlorine "rot" does . . . omg . . .it was getting bigger and bigger . . . I had to get out of there . . . I'm now waiting for my new suit to come in the mail . . . lol . . . how's THAT for an excuse?

Chris

I wish you were closer Chris. We could do the gym pool thing together. It is intimidating going by yourself.