Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

and on about Day 4 I was suddenly able to drink an entire cup of tea BEFORE it got cold...

Can you describe to me what it felt like when you tried to sip it too fast, or what happened as a result?

I'm taking this coffee very slowly, but I've had 6 or 7 teaspoons already.. easily twice what I've tolerated without pb'ing up to this point. I'm starting to feel tight in my chest, but I can "hear" something happening there, which I'm hoping is the liquid passing through the band...

I'm starting to get a little hopeful... =)

Well, dare I get truly hopefuly, and though my coffee is now cold (thank God for microwaves) I've had 12-13 teaspoons of it and although I feel pretty tight, nothing's coming up, and every now and then I can hear it gurgle down. Maybe things are turning around.

Hey, since coffee is going down, do you guys think I could try some rib-eye now?

Jonathan

(Yes, that was a joke.)

Jonathan, it sounds like you're getting there! The gurgling is indeed the sound of liquid passing through the stoma. Yay, you! You might try some chicken broth when you get tired of the taste of tea and coffee. It will taste like manna from heaven.

And Jack, I just want to say you're doing a GREAT job of being a bandbrother! I want to hug you for being so helpful and supportive. Consider yourself hugged. ;)

how long is your liquid phase to last?

My doctor doesn't really put a time limit on it... he said it's just a matter of what you can handle and when you can handle it. On average, he said I should be able to go to mushy foods by week 3.

I'm craving cottage cheese already =)

Jonathon you sound alot better. Just go slow and little sips and you can send the rib eye my way..

Jonathon. Have you checked with your pharmacist to see if there is a liquid form of your anti-depressant? I know I had to do that with Pamelor for a few days. It's TERRIBLE to try to swallow and may still not be do-able for you, but it's a thought. After this many days, you should be over the 'withdrawal' stage, but how is your mood? Is this possibly an opportunity to see how you do without them after awhile of being on them? Do you feel more depressed? I know the stress of this horrible experience isn't good, but we can normally tell how we 'feel' mentally as far as depression goes. Maybe it's a chance to see if you can do okay without the drug? I know I've often thought I'd like to be without that ball and chain. lol

I really hope the warm liquids are helping to ease your pain and suffering. Another thing that you may literally love if you can keep the warm things down. I've been buying the Oregon brand Chai Tea. You mix it with milk. I use the Hood Carb Countdown which has lots of Protein. This may really help to sustain you and give you some Protein too which will help with weakness. I LOVE the Rooibos (red). It is awesome tasting!

http://www.worldpantry.com/oregonchai/ocframe.html

Bless your heart!!! I am so sorry this has been so difficult for you! At least it sounds as if your keeping a few sips down now. Keep taking it slow and easy. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you won't throw up anymore! Good luck...

I'm with you, Leatha. I'd like to take advantage of this and just get off of the anti-depressant, and I probably will. My mood is much better today. And it's 2:00 PM and I haven't PB'd once. I had about 15 teaspoons of coffee earlier, and I'm on about my 20th teaspoon of beef broth right now, and I have NO pain in my chest.

About the tea, do you have to buy it online, or do they sell it at the grocery store? I'll try it for sure. I wish I could drink fast enough to keep things warm. I'm gonna have to put a microwave on my desk soon =)

Jonathon. Have you checked with your pharmacist to see if there is a liquid form of your anti-depressant? I know I had to do that with Pamelor for a few days. It's TERRIBLE to try to swallow and may still not be do-able for you, but it's a thought. After this many days, you should be over the 'withdrawal' stage, but how is your mood? Is this possibly an opportunity to see how you do without them after awhile of being on them? Do you feel more depressed? I know the stress of this horrible experience isn't good, but we can normally tell how we 'feel' mentally as far as depression goes. Maybe it's a chance to see if you can do okay without the drug? I know I've often thought I'd like to be without that ball and chain. lol

I really hope the warm liquids are helping to ease your pain and suffering. Another thing that you may literally love if you can keep the warm things down. I've been buying the Oregon brand Chai Tea. You mix it with milk. I use the Hood Carb Countdown which has lots of Protein. This may really help to sustain you and give you some Protein too which will help with weakness. I LOVE the Rooibos (red). It is awesome tasting!

http://www.worldpantry.com/oregonchai/ocframe.html

Nope. I buy it in my local Tom Thumb. I find it in the 'health' food section. I highly recommend it, especially for now. The Carb Countdown could be a big blessing for you 'protein-wise'. Good luck! I'm so glad to hear you seem to be improving. ;)

Johnathan, my husband had a similar experience to yours, he was in hospital for about 4 days after his surgery, but he's super special.... He had A LOT of swelling and couldn't keep anything down for days and days. I'm glad you've been able to finally get somthing to stay down.

Hi Jonathan,

I missed this post completely. Wow, sounds like you had super restriction and lots of post op swelling. Now I know you are not feeling lucky now, but it will get better. THe 4CC Inamed band is sometimes very tight for men who have a lot of fat padding around the stomach. There are some rare cases where it doesnt loosen up until you drop some pounds, but it sounds like you are on the road to recovery. Once you are able to handle creamy liquids and Soups, it will be much better. The great news is that you will superaccelerate your weight loss. The bad news is you will feel weak in the absence of getting enough Protein. Try some of the suggestion Leatha gave you. Stay away from anything cold. Instead of coffee which is dehydrating, try sipping on warm Water, low sodium broth, and liquids which will not dehydrate you. Hang in there. It will get better.

Babs in TX

334/184/170

Jonathan, I missed your thread, too. By now , I hope that you are feeling well.

I had a similar experience after banding, vomited for two or three days. Your stomach lets you know that it doesn't like this restrictive device one damn bit.

You had it much worse than me, though. Best wishes to you.