Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update On Dr's Appt For Reflux

I had been gettting reflux at night and a burning sensation in my throat when I drink Water here lately and was getting worried so I went in to see my Band Dr.

Out come is they do not think anything is wrong with my band just because I do not have any other symptoms. After reading several post sometimes there are no other symptoms but they are going to go a step further I will be on Protonix 40mg for the next month and need to check in with them in 3 weeks if my symptoms have not changed. I will also have the Pyloric H test done again to rule that out. If my burning sensation does not get better then an upper GI. I do not understand this burning when I drink water of all things but Dr says if I am getting the acid backing up when I am asleep then I am getting irritated. You would think sleeping practically up right would help.

Hopefully the medication will do the trick.

One bit of bad news. scale said something different than mine at home.

My weight is 175.6 not 171.00 so will have to change my ticker..

Mary, am I reading correctly that you've never had a fill? So your band is simply empty?

When did you start experiencing reflux? In most cases an unfill is the recommended treatment for that, but if you've never had a fill at all obviously that's not possible. Weird! Have you ever tried any OTC products for it?

oops when I changed my weight I took off how much was in my band..

1.1cc is what I have now. The Dr did not think it was being caused by the band because the last fill I had was around Nov 17 and I have the same amount since then. I had no problems with that fill, so to all of a sudden develope reflux is strange he was leading more in the direction of the sinus infection I had a while ago and since I was draining into my pouch he was thinking irritation. Right now we are grabbing at straws to say the truth.

Thanks for catching that no fill. I was worried they were going to take some out because he did mention it. And yes I did try some Pepcid and no differance in the burning it does not happen all the time just sometimes. But the reflux at night is all the time I have to sleep propped up and no more bending over in the morning cause this am some came straight out.. Gross

Mary E., I bumped a Reflux thread for you. The instructions are taken from a gastrologist's recommendations list. One thing is to elevate your headboard (with blocks). Don't sleep on a stack of pillows. This only bends your tummy and makes the problem worse. Did your dr. do an unfill? I hope you get some good answers very soon!

Hi, Aquafina, would you mind posting a little bit about yourself in the introductions? Like how long have you been banded, by what dr., how much weight have you lost, male or female, and any other info. you'd like to share. Hope to get to know you better on LBT.

I did not know that you could get restriction well after a fill. I will have to check into that. He did consider that as an option then thought it was better to leave my fill alone. I am going to see how I feel in the next couple of days. Marie I still have my fill from November..

I have been propping my head with pillows did not know it made it worse will put something under the head board tonight..

Thank Aquafina for bumping up the thread going to reread it.