Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I'm going to fall off the wagon ....

I'm going to go all out.

The other day I was craving a cheeseburger. C-R-A-V-I-N-G. So I considered going down to the cafeteria at work and getting a turkey buger - but then it hit me.

The turkey burger is only MARGINALLY better for me than a "regular" burger and it doesn't taste the same ... so in essence I wouldn't be calming the craving.

SO - I decided to wait until I was on my way home to stop for a burger.

Let me preface this by saying that pre-band I could (and did) eat 3 burgers at a time (plus fries) :

I got ONE burger - and removed the bun - and ate it with a fork and knife.

I got the "satisfaction" of calming the craving - and don't feel guilty at all. I figure "skinny" folks eat a burger "once in a while" - and since I will be one of them one day .. I can too :)

Am I rationalizing my bad behavior ?

Personally, I don’t think that indulging in a craving once in a while is that bad. I have been craving a grilled cheese sandwich. So I made on and cut it into quarters and had just one quarter, minus the crust (dog got the crust and my dh had the rest). I ate it very, very slowly and enjoyed it tremendously. It satisfied the craving and I didn’t over indulge like I used to do when I had a craving. Same can be said for ice cream. One small scoop, about 2 tbl, eating slowly with a baby spoon does the trick for me. Just don’t do it daily and if you enjoy it slowly, one it last longer and two it satisfies.

Thanks folks !!

I felt bad .. while waiting in that Burger King drive thru line ... for a second, then I got over it as I enjoyed my yummy burger.

All the "skinny" folks I know enjoy "bad" things once in awhile. The reason I am where I am today is because I OVERindulged in the bad things ALL THE TIME.

I just knew that if I didn't have the "right" burger (with ketchup, mustard AND mayo along with lettuce, tomatoes and onions) it wouldn't satisfy me - so I would have wasted the "cheat".

Certain things I don't "mind" or miss substituting - like sugar. Others I refuse to compromise on. Burgers fall into the latter catergory. :)

You did great, the bun (which you discarded) is the downfall. If I were you, I would be so proud!

Don't beat yourself up. I was on an ice cream kick a while back...you sound more in control than I was.

when I saw the scale not moving..I smartened up.

You did great!

gosh..I would have gotten so SICK on that burger..I can't eat hamburg at all.

THAT, people, is the key. When you want to cheat, cheat, but have a very small amount.

Actually, though, that cheeseburger really isn't too much worse and probably had more Protein.

Good job!

Should we really be calling it cheating? I believe that I should be able to eat anything (within reason) without feeling guilty. The key is to eat a small amount, like you did. If I had wanted to go on a diet and deprive myself I would have continued with weight watchers. Instead I chose the lapband tool so that I could finally become the thin person I should be, without constantly saying "no I can't, I'm on a diet." To me, this is not a diet this is truly a life stlye of minimalism.

I say great job!! Keep making those smart decisions.

Mrs SmartyPants,

Don't trip! You did exceptionally well...Like you said you could have eaten 3 and been completely sidelined by the depression that seems to always follow. And then the 3 more burgers, fries, soda and shake to follow just to get rid of the depression from the first 3 burgers...Talk about one hell of a cycle!

taking the bun off is the key ...you go!! a whopper with cheese dressed with everything..take the bun off and if you eat every bit of the meat and veggies ..with mayo...you only had about 8 carbs.....hello....thats awsome!!!!! :clap2:

You did awesome! Isn't it wonderful to be in control. I eat McDomalds from time to time and I can only eat 1/4 go 1/2 of a childs size burger. Go for it!