Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skinny people ignoring your fatness

So I've got a rant to share. I HATE it when I go to a function, (and where I live now most of the chicks are all thin at these things), and they all sit around ME and complain about how much weight they've gained since they had kids. These people might have one, two, maybe three OUNCES to lose, and they're talking in front of big fat ass ME about how fat they are. Like, hello, fat lady in the room, don't you think you're being very rude???!!! I would never call attention to something like that. It's like talking to a quadraplegic about how sore my legs are from jogging today. What's the quadraplegic supposed to say, "I know what you mean?" Why would you draw attention to it?

I know what you mean. It's almost like they are boasting in a weird sort of way.

Next time just say, "Well, you know 20 pounds isn't THAT hard to lose, I did it plus some. Want some tips?"

Heh...

Unfortunately, it's inevitable. My girl friends do it all the time around me, and it makes me really uncomfortable. I always wonder that if they think they're so fat, when they maybe have 5 pounds to lose, what the heck do they think of me who has 100 pounds to lose?? I think it's in bad taste, but there's not much you can do except shrug it off, especially if the offending people are not people you see often.

Oh, I dont know that its "meant" to be offensive.

I know now how I feel about my body. I have forgotten how it used to feel and look and I worry as much now about 5lb as I used to about 50. It feels just as real to me.

It might be nice for them to stop and think before they speak, granted, but dont dismiss their issues as nothing. When you've never been more than say 20lb overweight, that 20lb feels like a big problem.

I agree that they don't do it to be rude. It goes to show that skinny or fat we all have issues. Those few pounds they have to loose may seem as insurmountable as our weight loss. It is in their heads, just as alot of ours is as well. They can't help it.

So I've got a rant to share. I HATE it when I go to a function, (and where I live now most of the chicks are all thin at these things), and they all sit around ME and complain about how much weight they've gained since they had kids. These people might have one, two, maybe three OUNCES to lose, and they're talking in front of big fat ass ME about how fat they are. Like, hello, fat lady in the room, don't you think you're being very rude???!!! I would never call attention to something like that. It's like talking to a quadraplegic about how sore my legs are from jogging today. What's the quadraplegic supposed to say, "I know what you mean?" Why would you draw attention to it?

i HATE that too...although, i think i may have done it back in my skinny days. you can bet i won't do it after i lose weight though. it really makes me feel awkward and upset when my microscopic friends complain about the tablespoon of fat they have. i just want to melt into myself when it happens (i have two VERY ridiculous friends who do it A LOT).

very annoying. i agree.

You know what? The 25 lbs that I still have to lose loom as large for me as the 90+ that I've already lost. If I had never been BIG, then pushing "almost 200" at 5'9" would certainly be grounds for complaining. I'm sure that's how they see it, and they may not see themselves as "skinny people".

In other words, never attribute to malice what can be attributed to inattention and ignorance

Manatee is right. When they are talking about themselves and their own concerns they are not seeing you at all. Haven't you ever heard rich people complain about their money problems in front of friends who are simply middle class? People do tend to be self-absorbed but there usually is no malice involved.

In other words, never attribute to malice what can be attributed to inattention and ignorance

Oh, I don't think it's malice at all. These people, I'm pretty sure, like me well enough. I know back in my skinny days I never would have called attention to the two or three pounds I gained in front of the one really overweight person I knew. I think it's just very inconsiderate.