Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Game: What Color is Oprah Today?

I don't see anyone asking why Madonna now talks with a British accent..

Oh, that's irritating too. My brother moved to London, England a few years ago and he's getting certain mannerisms and accents in his voice that are very English. So irritating!

NOT that an English accent is irritating but that he is a Canadian, now with an English accent.

It's ok as long as she is on tv and you can't see how she interacts with EVERYONE! I don't know what it means to talk black or white, but I do know what it means to speak with diction, and clear pronunciation. I think that everyone can pick up a Southern accent when they visit the south, or have visitors from the south. I pick up a Southern accent every time I visit GA, SC etc...and when I have relatives visit it's even worse. Phony she may be at times, but she has a daily, if not hourly reminder that she is a Black women. She isn't pretending to be anything that she's not...since she is the first black woman that is damn near a millionaire-there isn't a script for her to follow that will PLEASE everyone! She is very pretentious, yes but she is a great humanitarian! It may not be racism rearing it's ugly head in most places in America...but it's damn close! I don't see anyone asking why Madonna now talks with a British accent..

:clap2: ...and Bruce Springstein and his New Jersey accent turned Midwestern....

Orpah should support African Americans, in mean that's who she is.
Oprah was born in Mississippi. She's not African anything. I'm white, and if someone else does something - whether I agree with it or not - I'm not going to support them just because they're white and that's who we are. (I personally am a LOT more than the color of my skin).

Oprah was born in Mississippi. She's not African anything. I'm white, and if someone else does something - whether I agree with it or not - I'm not going to support them just because they're white and that's who we are. (I personally am a LOT more than the color of my skin).

Well said, Wheets. I totally agree.

I am so late with this post and was getting so heated reading the replies..I agree with most..vernacular changes for many reasons, to make others feel comfortable and when around others that have an accent some tend to pick it up..sometimes the copier doesnt even notice they are doing it

As far as Oprah, if you were a fan you would have noticed that she had Obama on her show way before his announcement for presidency..He was the mayor of Chicago for goodness sakes she supported him a long time ago and I'm actually surprised that she vocalized her support in his run for president..she knows how much of an influence she has.

For those who dislike the fact that she is supporting Obama "get over it", you probably are terrified that her support means more votes for Obama :-) Oprah is a very influencable woman and why is this because so many people watch her show DAILY...most of Oprah's crowd is full of intelligent viewers you know people who can make up their own minds and for those that choose to go Ophahs way..Well then I'l glad she's backing Obama...this was a fun and upsetting post to read..I dont think the initial was intended to be racist but it was definitely ignorant…common and ignorant.

Actually, our mayor is Richard Daley. He's been the mayor for almost 20 years. Barack is the junior senator for Illinois. Prior to that, he served in our state assembly.

The term African American has nothing to do with what state she was born in. I feel like you can call yourself what you want. It's not like the term was just coined this year. Personally I prefer African American to black or European American to white. I don't see the point in calling myself a color. You don't see people going around calling Latinos brown or Asians beige. It just seems dumb to me.

To each is own. If someone calls me black I don't care. IMO, it's all about personal preference.

Personally I prefer African American to black or European American to white.
My son has asked me in the past why people who weren't born in Africa want to be called African Americans. I didn't know how to explain this to him appropriately.

My ancestors are from Canada (my grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Quebec and Nova Scotia), but my parents and I were born here so we consider ourselves Americans. None of my family calls themselves Canadian Americans because our ancestors came from Canada. My ex-hubby's ancestors are from Ireland. His parents and grandparents were born in America, so they consider themselves Americans. They don't call themselves Irish Americans. So, that's kind of where I get stuck with coming up with a viable explanation...sigh! :)

Come on, if you live in our society you KNOW what one means when they say someone is sounding white or black! We are not all ignorant. Haven't you heard of ebonics? Being that some states wanted to start teaching classes in ebonics should be an indicator that there is a difference in the way SOME white people and SOME black people speak. I noticed that Oprah did not sound herself when speaking on Obama's behalf.

And please, don't tell me that Oprah can be prejudice, but not racist. How can it be that only the white race can be racist? That is ridiculous. It is a racist comment to even suggest that a black person cannot be racist. Are you suggesting that black people are incapable of hating another race simply because they were born black? When you say this, you set yourself apart.

And last, the point is MOOT, not mute.

Thanks.

Come on, if you live in our society you KNOW what one means when they say someone is sounding white or black! We are not all ignorant. Haven't you heard of ebonics? Being that some states wanted to start teaching classes in ebonics should be an indicator that there is a difference in the way SOME white people and SOME black people speak. I noticed that Oprah did not sound herself when speaking on Obama's behalf.

And please, don't tell me that Oprah can be prejudice, but not racist. How can it be that only the white race can be racist? That is ridiculous. It is a racist comment to even suggest that a black person cannot be racist. Are you suggesting that black people are incapable of hating another race simply because they were born black? When you say this, you set yourself apart.

And last, the point is MOOT, not mute.

Thanks.

Assuming MOST black people speak Ebonics is like assuming MOST Europeans speak Italian. You'll find proof to support your statement, but it really doesn't solidify your argument. There are people who are just ASTOUNDED about a black person who can understand/communicate using Ebonics and can also easily navigate their way through "Standard English", whenever they choose. Again, just because someone speaks several languages/dialects, it doesn't mean that they can't be, "ARTICULATE"-- a word I've learned to despise.

See this article for more details as to why this very idea can be viewed as racist, and justifiably so. Black, White, or Green....and everything in between:

The Racial Politics of Speaking Well

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/weekinreview/04clemetson.html

I didn't say MOST blacks speak ebonics.

I've had some interesting conversations with people about why whites and blacks are referred to as colors (when whites aren't really white and blacks aren't really back), while others are referred to as ethnicities. I don't really have a good theory for that one. :)

I don't know a single black person who objects to being called black. Quite possibly they're out there, but I personally don't know them. I do know black people who object to being called African American. I don't mind "white" (I'm so pale that "clear" is more accurate than white for me!), but I would think it stupid if someone tried to call me a Greek Welsh Indian American.