Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone pick up the book "Fighting the Weight"??

Has anyone picked up Muhummad Ali's daughter Khaliah Ali's book Fighting Weight!! It's good thus far I am on chapter 3!! And she alos lost weight with banding!! I can relate to her story ALOT!! And I know alot of us can that have been overweight as children to now!! Please pick up she looks fantastic and she says that she hasn't had any work done. But she loves her band ... She had her surgery done at NYU by Dr Fielding!! And Dr Fielding also has a band!! crazy rite the Dr himself has a band!! But it goes to show when you try and put kids on diets it only scars them worst cause they don't understand why they shouldn't be able to eat like they want. And immediately you feel ugly like something is wrong with you and when you go to school you feel really out of place cause all the other kids are smalled than you are... and of course kids can see the difference. I know I did and my parents tried putting me on diets and taking me to all sorts of doctors and it just further crashes your self esteem. And that makes you wanna eat more. Cause you feel so awful inside. I remember thinking that I was so very ugly as a girl and it didn't help me any as I got older and got kinda curvier with my looks ... I started to get attention from men and I was rape at 15 sadly ... but whom ever made the statement what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger and that is sure as hell true!! But after my rape I gained weight sooo rapidly it was crazy. I balloned to 280 at 16 years old. But I'm saying that to say this. It's a hard life being an overweight child I could seriously write a book to on my life trials and tribulations and I will only be 20 in a couple weeks... And society today plays a big part and it sucks but this is the world we live in ... Fat people want to be accpeted but at the same time if we glorify being fat as we do being skinny ... everyone would want to be fat and everyone would be unhealthy and dying off at an early age... so it's kinda a catch 22. What do we do... and I want to grab the overweight girls in EVERY school and just hug them and say you are beautiful baby and keep your head up!! It's ok... Cause I didn't have anyone there to do that for me as a girl. In high school I became more popular but the skinny girls still looked at me like I was just the "fat friend" that all the skinny girl cliques have. But I don't wanna ramble on LOL thanks listening and letting me share!! LOTS OF LOVE APPLES!!

Actually, that book is what put the icing on the cake for me as far as my final decision to be banded. And I found out about it through my DH as he was watching TV one night and saw her on a show talking about the book. He knew I was considering this and he was quite nervous about it. But looking at her he was sold on it. This is when he finally got behind me and supported me with it (even though he still doesn't understand exactly what it was that I did). I was not overweight growing up as I was a very active and a good athlete always kicking or hitting a ball or running so I can't relate to all that she (and you) went through but my heart went out to Khaliah and you over your struggles. I started struggling with my weight after I had my son (17 yrs ago). After my 1st child (22 yrs ago), I stayed around a 14 which was great for me and that's where I am trying to get back to. I'm glad the book is helping you and pray that you continue to grow stronger and stronger (and skinnier and skinnier! God Bless!

Well I appreciate the love!! I really do!! And I am loving the book and I know others will too!! It has been a rough journey and each day it gets easier as I learn more about myself and life in general!! I am just hoping and praying for the best. I don't wanna be a size 2 ... I just wanna love me and be happy and healthy with my appearance. Oh yeah and be able to have healthy pregnancies!!

Just finished the book tonight :-)

I went out and bought it the day I got my surgery date set (January 15th...just about one month away!). It's a great book!

I read an excerpt online and was very impressed so I ordered it but didn't read it until I was recovering from my surgery. However, it was very helpful. I've lent it to a friend but I need to get it back because if my sister ever heads in the direction of a lap band, I'd like to lend her the book.

I read this book a few weeks after being banded. I found it to be VERY inspirational and I also related to a lot of the stuff she said about childhood obesity. I've always been over weight. My mom said in 1st grade, my teacher called her to talk about how chubby I was getting - Ugh!

I thought some of the info on the band itself was a little vague and dated but it was a short book (meant to be a promotional tool for the band) and I'm not sure what year it was written.

(I never knew Dr Fielding and Ren were married!!)