Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To re-port OR NOT re-port!

Banded about 2 months ago I have had 2 infections. One, a month ago, port site, the second a week ago ENTIRE STOMACH. And the frightening part is that the 2nd infection started and went out of control within about 3 hours.

I was given "last resort" antibiotics overnight and was told the port and tubing would be coming out the next day. Several days in the hospital later and now I'm home with 3 Drains coming out of my tummy. I am not a jolly fat girl.

So I need to decide whether or not to re-port in about 8 weeks. This has really been a traumatic experience for me...as I'm sure it has to anyone who has had complications.

How did you guys do after your re-porting surgery. Is it worth it? I'm really in the middle of the fence. Please help!

I think this is a question for your doctor. I would never advise on something like this because it is so serious. So sorry you have had to go through so much.Let us know how you are doing. Best of luck, Donna

Before you make any decisions you should ask your doctor:

1. what his infection rate and the hospital's infection rates are?

2. what type of infection is it that you had?

3. how would he suggest preventing these infection in the future if you get re-banded?

I wouldn't plan anything at this point until they are sure the infection you had to start out with is completely gone.

What kind of bacteria did you have growing? I'm assuming they did a C&S so they should have this info. I'm guessing MRSA? Were you given Vancomycin?

When did you first notice something was wrong? Was this a clinic/hospital caused infection? If so, I darn sure wouldn't be going back there for more surgery.

I'm very sorry you are having to go through this.

I am so sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I can understand how traumatic you must feel.

I was re-ported 2 weeks ago. I am feeling fine right now but this surgery was much harder on my body then the initial surgery.

I would definitely get 2nd and 3rd opinions from sdifferent lapband surgeons and also research,research,research. Could it be that you are allergic to the band material?

Iwas banded 6 weeks ago tomorrow. Last week I was having drainage and pus from my port incision. Just at the end of the scar. I went straight to the Dr. and they looked at it and said it would be ok. Today when I went for my first fill the problem had gotten much worse over the weekend. No fill and now I have to take 10 days worth of 875 mgs. Augmentin for the infection. I am terrified because both my parents had MRSA for months before they died and I was caring for them for 5 months. I'm so scared that is what this is. I need some reassuring words.