Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! Banded on 12/7/2007!!

My weight at surgery was 346 pounds and BMI of 46.9.

I live in Houston, Texas and my lapband doctor is Dr. Spivak (food. Working out has not been a problem, it has always been food intake. I did a ton of back and forth on this procedure ... sometimes I felt that I was actually "copping out," if I had the surgery done. Then came the conversation with my sister, she's a surgeon, and said that this is not a magic band ... and I will still have to work my tail off ... she was right ... I agreed with it, and tadaaaa ... I am banded :P

I have been feeling really sore today. This morning I took the liquid hrdrocodone around 7, then I decided I was not going to take it anymore. I was back on it at 4:00 p.m. ... lol.

The more I let gas out the better I feel. I went out to target today, so I could get some walking in, and I think it helped. Now I am just chilling.

Sorry for the long post, but I just had a ton to say, haha :P

Thanks for the heads up. I have my seminar Monday and then an consult with my surgeon immediately afterward. So... you're sore right now... on a scale from 1-10 what's the pain like?? This is my biggest fear because I am a "hospital virgin." Never had surgery...

Good luck with your new band! I wish you all the best... :clap2:

Thanks for the heads up. I have my seminar Monday and then an consult with my surgeon immediately afterward. So... you're sore right now... on a scale from 1-10 what's the pain like?? This is my biggest fear because I am a "hospital virgin." Never had surgery...

Good luck with your new band! I wish you all the best... :clap2:

The pain is between a 5 and a 6.

I was a hospital newbie as well ... don't worry too much about it, it's not so bad! I think the worst part was wearing that stupid gown, I hated that thing!

Best of luck with your surgery!

Jais, your surgeon sister would tell you to take your pain meds! I took them as prescribed for 2 days, then tried to not take them, began hurting badly and ended up taking them for another 24 hours because I let the pain sneak back up...haven't had any since Sat morning at 5. I'm a nurse and know better - patients should always take their meds and not let the pain get out of control. Oh, well.....

It gets better everyday post-op, and I think it is wonderful that you got this band at your young age. My doc said it is like a guard standing over you. You still have to make the right decisions, but there is that band and it could make your life miserable if you overeat. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Hi everyone!

I had my surgery on 12/6. This is day 3 and I feel a lot better. I went to the support groups and I either blocked it out or no one ever really talked about the pain you feel on days 1-3. So I will share my experience in order to better prepare you.

The gas pain is the thing they don't tell you about. They fill you up w/gas during the surgery and it is suppose to absorb into your body. It made me feel bloated, like I couldn't eat. I think I'm more afraid of throwing up, so I would only eat a spoonful of food for the first 2 days out of fear that I was overeating. The gas pain lead to soreness. The soreness feels like I was in a really bad car accident. I woke up day 2 stiff as a board. It was so weird because I felt so wonderful immediately after the surgery. And then I realized the magical powers of that morphine drip!

So by the end of day 2, I called my doctor because I didn't want to get dehydrated. He explained that the bloating is making me feel full, but that is was real important to continue to drink at least 6 oz of Water an hour for the next four hours. I think I got down half that, but I started feeling better. I walked too and that does help the gas problem.

Day 3 and the pain has subsided tremendously and I feel I am now on the same road as everyone in my support group.

I hope this helps!

Deena

Hi! I'm looking at getting banded too. I'm looking at Dr. Frank Felts with Lap Band Solutions. Have you heard anything good or bad about him?

Hey there! I did actually research Dr. Felts and some other doctors. Two factors made me go to Dr. Spivak's seminar first (If I didn't feel comfortable with him, I would have chosen another surgeon) ... first, he is the most experienced surgeon in Lap-Band in Texas, and his success rate is stellar. Second, my older sister is a surgeon, and she looked at his track record, and she advised me to see Dr. Spivak first, and if I didn't feel comfortable, see another doctor.

So, this is how I chose. If I were you, just do some research, then find the surgeon who you think you will feel most confident with, and the go to that surgeon's seminar.

I have to say this, I have absolutely no complaints about Dr. Spivak; himself, his nurses and his support staff have been absolutely amazing -- and he is honest about everything.

Hi everyone!

I had my surgery on 12/6. This is day 3 and I feel a lot better. I went to the support groups and I either blocked it out or no one ever really talked about the pain you feel on days 1-3. So I will share my experience in order to better prepare you....

Hi Deena! Thanks for your supportive words. I have to say that the pain has lessened significantly today. I am actually laying on my side!!!! And typing this message. Cool stuff :)

Thanks Jais. Thanks to you and to all the others for the heads up about the pain. I have found in my case that if I'm expecting the pain it doesn't hurt as much as if it it gets me by surprise. I've had 2 c sections.

Hi

I am in Houston also and I will be banded on Dec 31st and I will

use UT Physcian Dr. Terry K. Scarborough. I have two friends who used him and he is very experienced in lap band. He also teaches at Baylor and his credentials are great. I have every confidence in his ability. Good luck and best wishes.