Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am new here and I am very seriously considering the lap band. I do have some concerns and wanted to ask you all about them in hopes that someone would be able to answer them.

Here are some concerns :

1. Lap Band could slip & cut off blood supply to parts of the digestive system.

2. Could be placed incorrectly & cause the same problems.

3. Peritonitis (sp?) from surgery itself.

4. Lap Ban could burst or break & cause damage to inferior Vena Cava or Aorta, causing severe blood loss with little or no warning.

Ok, those are my husband’s concerns

Here are mine :

1. Lap band leaking

2. If the band it filled to tight and you start having pains, do you also become sick as well? (Up chucking) I mean.

3. Is anything attached to your stomach so that they can fill the band when needed ? If so, is it always open and what about infection?

I know that this surgery is a whole lot different than the gastric is, but is there anything at all that I need to know about with the lap band that I do not know ? Anything really bad that I should be concerned about etc...

Also, does anyone here know of a Doctor in Greenville NC who is really good at this that I can contact ?

And one last thing. I have heard that with the gastric that people lose their weight really fast. Is that the same with the lap band surgery? And what about having all the loose flabby skin hanging after you have lost all you’re going to ? Is there a chance at all that it won’t happen ?

I am 40 years old now and I am 302 pounds, but have been up to 320 or so in the past.

Thanks a lot for being here for people like me!

Bleste

Here are some concerns :

1. Lap Band could slip & cut off blood supply to parts of the digestive system.

The band is sutured into place and should not slip. A lot of slippage is due to "pilot error"...folks NOT doing what they are supposed to do...and forcing large amounts of food down causing stretching and sticking and regurgitating.

2. Could be placed incorrectly & cause the same problems.

Well, yeah, that's why you do your research and get a surgeon who has MANY surgeries under his belt. There is nothing that beats experience.

3. Peritonitis (sp?) from surgery itself.

Hello? You've been reading too many medical books. Peritonitis (I've had it) is just one of many things that could arise as complications of ANY surgery, anywhere.

4. Lap Ban could burst or break & cause damage to inferior Vena Cava or Aorta, causing severe blood loss with little or no warning.

Once again, too many medical books. The chances of these things happening are 1 in xxx, just like dying in a plane crash, being hit by lighening, being eaten by a shark. You have to use some common sense with this.

Ok, those are my husband’s concerns

Here are mine :

1. Lap band leaking

Certainly doesn't happen very often. If that were to be the case, the solution leaking will not hurt you, and the band can be repaired or replaced, if needed.

2. If the band it filled to tight and you start having pains, do you also become sick as well? (Up chucking) I mean.

You don't "have pains" because the band is too tight. You have less ability to swallow foods. That's what your doctor is there for...fills and UNfills. Lots of people have to get unfills. It's not considered a "horrible thing". If your band is filled too much, you simply get an unfill and go your merry way.

3. Is anything attached to your stomach so that they can fill the band when needed ? If so, is it always open and what about infection?

The band is a plastic belt-like device that encircles the top part of the stomach. It is sutured onto the outside of the stomach so it does not move or slip. There is a tube which connects to the band and sits inside the abdominal cavity. At the other end of the tube is a "port" about as big around as a silver dollar (maybe smaller) and about a half inch thick which is sutured to the muscles of the abdomen. When you get a fill, the doctor introduces a syringe into the wall of your abdomen and into the pad of the port (which is not far under the skin) and injects the saline solution into it, which goes into the tube and up into the band and makes it expand, giving you consitriction.

I know that this surgery is a whole lot different than the gastric is, but is there anything at all that I need to know about with the lap band that I do not know ? Anything really bad that I should be concerned about etc...

It is less invasive, not "gut redirecting", laparoscopically done through approximately five little incisions anywhere from 1/2 inch to 2 inches long, done on an outpatient hospital basis usually, going home the same day. Recuperation is very quick (matter of a week or so, as opposed to bypass which is like MAJOR surgery). There is a learning curve on the eating process, but it comes with time. There are a LOT of people here to help you.

Also, does anyone here know of a Doctor in Greenville NC who is really good at this that I can contact ?

Sorry, I'm in Houston. Go to the Doctors thread and put "Greenville NC" in your thread title asking for help.

And one last thing. I have heard that with the gastric that people lose their weight really fast. Is that the same with the lap band surgery? And what about having all the loose flabby skin hanging after you have lost all you’re going to ? Is there a chance at all that it won’t happen ?

Yes, gastic bypass folks do lose a LOT quicker than lapbanders. Ideally, they say that you should spread the loss of your weight (of course this depends on how much you have to lose) over a 1-2 year period, losing approximately 1-2 pounds per week as an overall average. Loose skin remaining depends on your genes and your age and how much you are having to lose. If you are over 100 pounds overweight and have been for a while, you will probably find you have SOME sagging, but it is going to vary with everyone. I am 56, I have lost 55 pounds. My stomach is a little saggy (never had kids) and I have a little excess skin under my neck that isn't going away. Everything else did pretty well considering.