Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a little diaaapointed about weight loss

i bought a new scale and weighed myself today and was very disappointed about the weight lost since being banded on the 17 of jan defore surgury was 261 and almost three weeks later with being on a liq diet clear with only Protein Shakes down to 251 is this out of norm am i doing something wrong i was hopeing a bit more then that on just being on liquids did anyone else have a slow weight loss in the begining or is it just me thaks julie

Julie,

That is right on track. Anywhere from 1 to 3 lbs a week is good. Have you started walking or exercising some? It seems that always speeds thibngs up a bit. Also don't forget to drink plenty of Water.

Hang in there the scale is tipping in the right direction now. Also the slower weight loss will mean less baggy skin.

hopeful brenda

Dr Ortiz and Dr Martinez

banded Sept 24 2004

one fill 1.5

down 45 lbs

You are not even expected to lose any weight before your first fill. Your supposed to just be healing now, any weight loss during this time is a bonus. Your only supposed to lose 1-2 lbs a week later. Your doing great! Teresa

i sure wish the docotrs doing this surgery would stress to their patients that the first 6 weeks is not about losing weight. it is about healing. any weight you lose during the first 6 weeks is a plus. the band is made to have liquid in it to work its best. so once you get your fills you will notice a difference in your weight loss. you can not get discouraged now, you are in for a long haul. best wishes to you

Be paitent it will come off... trust it and you will see the results. But this first part is for healing... be good to yourself... this is a marathon for your life not a sprint!

Thanks For The Encourgement Feel Much Better Today This Site Is Great Thanks For All Your Support

Guest punky247

Hi Julie,

That is a great weight loss, 10 pounds! I know we want it so fast, but remember it all takes time, I so remember that feeling and then wam it just started falling off! It will happen if you follow all the rules, and I started exercising right after surgery, just by walking, and I think that accelerated it alot! Hang in there and positive thoughts.

you need to go READ everything you can about the procedure. I'm saying this because your question shows that you were not properly prepared for this surgery. This is one of the most basic, yet often-asked questions...which means that even though your surgeon may be great at the surgery, he is (like many surgeons) terrible about informing patients. And that means YOU have to do all the work so that you can have a good experience.

So, now that this question is answered, go back and read eveything you can about the band. It won't bother us if you ask the questions, but it can save you from concern, fear, feelings of failure, etc, if you know what to expect.

What do you do if you are losing the weight without a fill but you don't have any restriction. I scheduled a fill for February 24, but I have been losing about 2 pounds per week on average. I'm scared that if I go ahead with the fill, I may lose the weight too fast but I am still hungry during the day and although I can't eat as much as I did before, I can eat more that I think I should be able to. Any suggestions. You guys are the pros.

sue thanks for the advice i am rally learning alot now fron this site and reserch which i should of done before surgury i am going to start eating solid food on monday any sugesstions which ones i should start with julie