Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Successful losers what is a days food for you?

Today I had coffee w/sweet-n-low & non-dairy Creamer for b'fast.

For lunch we went to a Chinese buffet.. I had a bowl of egg drop Soup, 1 piece of general tso's chicken (the time it took me to eat this one piece, my DH had 10 pieces of that chicken and 5 pieces of sweet & sour chicken, and a whole plate of rice!), and a bite of rice.

Going to the movies tonight, and I'm going to have a small bag of popcorn for dinner!

I'm glad to see people are eating fruit. I love fruit. My doctor and I had a huge, rather heated discussion about food yesterday. We were going over dietary guidelines and he omited pretty much all carbs. I get the bread, rice, Pasta thing, but I always thought good carbs like fruit were acceptable. I asked him about fruit and his answer to me was "Do you want to be lean or healthy?" I was rather taken aback as my goal is to be a nice balance of both. He told me that I need to concentrate 100% on the Protein, eat some vegetables, and only eat fruit if I'm starving because it will make me fat. I really don;t get that. He's a nice guy, but brusque. I was kind of mad yesterday when I left his office.

I'm glad to see people are eating fruit. I love fruit. My doctor and I had a huge, rather heated discussion about food yesterday. We were going over dietary guidelines and he omited pretty much all carbs. I get the bread, rice, Pasta thing, but I always thought good carbs like fruit were acceptable. I asked him about fruit and his answer to me was "Do you want to be lean or healthy?" I was rather taken aback as my goal is to be a nice balance of both. He told me that I need to concentrate 100% on the Protein, eat some vegetables, and only eat fruit if I'm starving because it will make me fat. I really don;t get that. He's a nice guy, but brusque. I was kind of mad yesterday when I left his office.

If you are only eating fruit to get the carbs then I can understand what he is saying. I don't think it's going to make you fat but it can mess with your blood sugar and make you hungry. If you are just looking to get carbs there are enough in veggies and berries. I tend to believe the real carbs to avoid are the dreaded white carbs. Sugar, flour, Pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.

<p>Absolutely, I avoid the white carbs like processed sugar, bread, rice, Pasta, etc. The doctor was adamant that no lap bander should be eating fruit unless they absolutely had to. His preference is no carbs at all. His words were "Fruit turns into sugar and the sugar will make you fat." I'm talking about fruit every once in a while as a snack or a small dessert. I KNOW a lousy piece of fruit isn't going to slap a couple of extra pounds on my butt and I will continue to eat it in small amounts. I'm just so happy yo see others that eat it. The doctor is, imo, a few apples short of a bushel on this topic.</p>

See, my feeling on "No fruit, ever" is that it is just too weird to be lopping out a major source or Vitamins and minerals for no good reason.

A good balanced diet of whole food is what a bandster should aim for. And said diet does include fruit.

Yesterday-

B: sugar free oatmeal w/ PB2

L: salad w/ Chic/Cheese/Hard boiled egg

S: 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ blueberries

D: Chic salad in a mini wheat pita & 1/2 apple w/ laughing Cow cheese

Plan for today:

B: sugar free oatmeal w/ PB2

L: Chic Salad in a mini wheat pita & 1/2 apple w/ Laughing Cow cheese

S: Yogurt

D: Shrimp stir fry w/ Broc/carrots/snow peas/garlic & lemon

Sometimes I snack in the evening - 100 calorie pop corn or cookie/snack cake, fruit, yogurt, fudge pop, etc. I've been trying to eat dinner a little bit later to eliminate that "after dinner snack"

I don't know if I qualify as being successful, yet, but I'm definitely on my way!

Yesterday

Breakfast- Protein shake (I'm not a big "Breakfast eater" either)

Lunch- 1 veggie burger pattie w/ a slice of cheese and about 1/2 cup frozen veggies (black Beans, edamame, carrots, and sugar snap peas.

Dinner- 1/2 cup lasagna (I don't normally eat Pasta, but my husband was craving so I had a little.)

Late evening snack- 1 cup sugar free Spiced Apple Cider (or sometimes I have a cup of chai tea)

I have no idea what the docs are talking about with no fruit. Yes, it turns to sugar, but guess what.. our bodies need sugar too and pure sugar is much better. Any doctor who says you need to choose between lean and healthy would make me wonder. I can run if I am not healthy. Lean is coming... I am almost there.

So.. here is my food intake for yesterday.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup of 0fat yogurt, with a quarter cup of fruit!!!

1 rvitka cracker bread (40 calories) with 1 tsp of goats' cheese

Snack: rice cake

Lunch: Tomato Soup and 1 bagel bite (50 calories for a bagel bite) and 1/2 cup of yogurt

snack - candy cane (opps... but a better choice than the fruit cake)

Supper: 1 oz of chicken, 2 tbspoons of rice and a plate of salad and I mean a plate!!!!

Dessert: 1/2 rice krispie square.

My calories were around 1100. Now I run 4 times a week and completed a 1/2 marathon a few weeks ago.

So... fruit is mine as is everything else I want... in moderation!!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/158/148

Oh boy! If I was in the US I think I'd be fired as a patient. I disagree with this nutritional outlook on so many levels, there's no way I 'd be compliant. Carbs do not make you fat. Some people lose better without them but it is not a requirement for weight loss that you give up carbs. White carbs are crap for you, granted, but fruit, vegetables and wholegrains are healthy foods.

As I sit here eating some apple slices, I'm so happy to see that others think my doctor is a nut case, too. My plan, I'm sure much to his future dismay, is to keep eating healthy foods which includes whole grains, vegetables, fruit, dairy and Protein. Thanks, everyone, for all of your support.

Yesterday, I had 1/2 cup of chili from Chili's for lunch. Had the other 1/2 for dinner. 1/2 IDS Protein test tube for snack (hah). Then I had 2 chocolates from a gift basket.. and 1 tsp of stoneground mustard--not sure why, it was a novelty to me I guess..and smelled delicious.

I can see why all of your are doing well and I'm not. I can do well with my meals, it's my snack choices that are probably keeping me from losing. It's only 12 today and I've already had WAY too many chocolates. Yesterday, I got stuck trying to have a chicken sandwhich and got mad because it was so hard to eat so I threw it away and filled up on Cookies and cake. They go down so much easier. I'm so dissapointed in myself! I thought after $8,500 that the band would have helped me a little. Instead I'm still gaining.