Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forbidde foods yes or no?

Hey all. As I am losing, and finally feeling well after surgery, I find myself getting interested in cooking again. I used to really enjoy cooking but lost interest a few years ago. While I have been at home recouping....:eek: I have discovered the cooking chanel...lol how ironic huh?

So I have been cooking up all kinds of things for my husband, while I sip away on my Soup (lmao). So anyways, I was wondering about certain foods that may be off-limits, or just a pain in the but to eat and not worth it, or just some feedback, ideas, suggestions,comments....etc. Please take the time to give a quick comment on what you think, okay?

Here is the list I can think of so far: :hungry:

nuts

Peanut Butter

waffles/pancakes

pickles

Pasta

apples ( which I used to eat almost daily)

root vegetables

pork ribs, chops, tenderloin

also, can you take beano to help with fiberous vegies?

Thanks everyone.....have fun and take care, Debbie

Hey all. As I am losing, and finally feeling well after surgery, I find myself getting interested in cooking again. I used to really enjoy cooking but lost interest a few years ago. While I have been at home recouping....:eek: I have discovered the cooking chanel...lol how ironic huh?

So I have been cooking up all kinds of things for my husband, while I sip away on my Soup (lmao). So anyways, I was wondering about certain foods that may be off-limits, or just a pain in the but to eat and not worth it, or just some feedback, ideas, suggestions,comments....etc. Please take the time to give a quick comment on what you think, okay?

Here is the list I can think of so far: :hungry:

nuts

Peanut Butter

waffles/pancakes

pickles

Pasta

apples ( which I used to eat almost daily)

root vegetables

pork ribs, chops, tenderloin

also, can you take beano to help with fiberous vegies?

Thanks everyone.....have fun and take care, Debbie

I can eat everything on that list, except the waffles/pancakes (I can eat those if I don't have good restriction). A lot of people can't eat Pasta, though. I personally can't eat soft breads.

hey laura, the bread that you can do is it toasted wheat bread, or french bread (like the crusty kinds)? What about the bread you use to dip in evoo/spices like at Carabas?

Debbie

hey laura, the bread that you can do is it toasted wheat bread, or french bread (like the crusty kinds)? What about the bread you use to dip in evoo/spices like at Carabas?

Debbie

Well, I have a hard time with just about any bread, but the easiest to get down is usually crispy or well-toasted bread. I just generally don't bother anymore, since it takes so long to eat and I can't eat much else if I do eat it. And I used to be a MAJOR bread addict. When I used to go to Red Lobster, it wouldn't be unusual for me to eat 5 or 6 biscuits. I went a couple of weeks ago and just had the garlicky top of one (not much of the soft inside).

Drooling at the thought of pancakes, with the butter all melting into the maple syrum, siiigh. Instant pain. Really cant do those, its not worth it.

I loathe pork chops, so never eat those.

I love cooking - I'm really having fun with vegetarian recipes as I bought a lovely cookbook and really like cooking modern, fusion style cuisine. I spend a lot of time and effort cooking and I really enjoy eating it, in moderate quanity and I usually cook healthy meals, not stodgy crap.

Here is a tip for the Pasta. I can eat really small amounts but it is just to labor intesive so I replace pasta with squash or zuccini. For spaghetti you can use spaghetti squash. My favorite is making lasagna with thinly sliced eggplant in place of the lasagna noodles. Yum its good!!

nuts Yes

Peanut Butter Yes

waffles/pancakes Yes with caution

pickles Yes

Pasta Yes

apples ( which I used to eat almost daily) Yes, but not the skins, and applesauce hurts me

root vegetables Yes

pork ribs, chops, tenderloin Yes

Rice totally kicks my ass. I can eat Chinese food, like the chicken dishes, but not even one spoonfull of rice. I gave my wife a not too pleasant show two weeks ago because of rice. I won't even try it anymore. I haven't had any meat except chicken and a little turkey since I've been banded. Very little bread too...chewed the crap out of it before I swallowed it. I got my second fill today, so I see chicken being an issue soon, as it sometimes gave me that uncomfortbale feeling.

You *can* eat it (well some can, there was a thread on this), but beware of calories in normal Peanut Butter, it's a lot.

Pancakes/waffles, I can only eat a tiny tiny bit before feeling stuffed.

Pork, I can't eat.

I can eat everything on your list but pancakes. I cannot eat soft breads at all. Crusty breads like garlic bread go down, but I try to avoid them. I have no problem with pork and chicken as long as it is cooked right and not tough. I am a major steak lover, but it has to be filet mignon (oh the sacrifices I make for the band) for it to go down well as other cuts are too tough and I can't chew them up enough.

I am a major steak lover, but it has to be filet mignon (oh the sacrifices I make for the band) for it to go down well as other cuts are too tough and I can't chew them up enough.
Plus, why waste the little space we've got on icky, greasy, fatty substandard cuts? I'f you're only going to be eating a very small amount, you might as well go for the best!

Hi Laurend, Im still not banded but I am happy to hear that someone that was a bread addict is able to get control in some way. Right now, not being banded, it's hard to imagine that I could be able to resist the bread. Thanks,

Regards,

Alfie

Hi Laurend, Im still not banded but I am happy to hear that someone that was a bread addict is able to get control in some way. Right now, not being banded, it's hard to imagine that I could be able to resist the bread. Thanks,

Regards,

Alfie

I think you'll find that the band makes things infinitely easier when it comes to bread. It's really uncomfortable for a lot of bandsters to eat it, so most don't. I can eat a small amount occasionally, when I'm really, really wanting some (like at Red Lobster or restaurants that have really good yeast rolls) IF I eat it very slowly. Eventually, you get to the point where you really don't crave it that much, if at all.