Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rediculous School Rules

Ok is it just me or is this crazy. Our schools policy is that if you are in 2 fights in one year (even walking home from school) and even if your just defending yourself and didnt start the fight you are out for 90 days. Basically the kid is going to have to repeat thier grade level. And this isnt just for older kids it applies to little kids. My son is the smart brainy type so basically het gets picked on a bit and he was in one fight already this year where he was defending himself and was suspended. Then apparently yesterday a kid pushed him over the side of the over pass by the freeway when he was walking home from school and he didnt fight back but there's still a chance he could be suspended for 90 days. This is rediculous!!! Kids who are the victoms are being punished. And what do they want these kids who get picked on to do...Stand there and get the tar beat out of them so they dont get kicked out of school.

I agree. My daughter started highschool this year and they told us during orientation they have a no tolerance policy when it comes to fighting. They said if you are in a fight, it is an automatic 30 day suspension. If it happens a second time, then you are expelled. Fortunately, this is not a problem as my daughter has never even been close to a fight, but I still find it extreme. One lady asked if one person was basically innocent and did not start the fight or anything, would that be taken into consideration. The principal stated again the no tolerance policy and regardless of who started it, the punishment applies to all those involved. So, I told my daughter if you ever do have someone decide to attack you and want to fight, at least beat the living tar out of them to make the suspension worth it. I know, bad mom.

Gummie, if your child does get suspended when he is innocent, I believe I would be getting a lawyer and going up against the school board.

Ok is it just me or is this crazy. Our schools policy is that if you are in 2 fights in one year (even walking home from school) and even if your just defending yourself and didnt start the fight you are out for 90 days. Basically the kid is going to have to repeat thier grade level. And this isnt just for older kids it applies to little kids. My son is the smart brainy type so basically het gets picked on a bit and he was in one fight already this year where he was defending himself and was suspended. Then apparently yesterday a kid pushed him over the side of the over pass by the freeway when he was walking home from school and he didnt fight back but there's still a chance he could be suspended for 90 days. This is rediculous!!! Kids who are the victoms are being punished. And what do they want these kids who get picked on to do...Stand there and get the tar beat out of them so they dont get kicked out of school.

I had the same problem in my school, talk about overstepping thier bounds.

Ask the principal or whoever is in charge of this stuff, if you were to punch him/her repeatedly if he/she would attempt to stop you or sit there and ask nicely for you to stop?

School rules are getting ridiculous. The kids who start the fights don't give a crap that they are being suspended, while the kids who are getting picked on don't want to be suspended, and didn't do anything worth suspending THEM for (whether they fought back, or not). There are certainly cases of fights where both parties are at fault but they need to investigate it instead of taking this lazy route of just "suspend them all".

There are a lot of out-of-control kids at school that drag others into trouble, then the "good kids" get suspended, too. The rules are getting crazy because schools fear litigation. Everything is driven by the almighty dollar you know.

I just pulled my teen out of public school. On top of the behavior issues in schools today, the focus hasn't been on learning for years, but instead on having students jump through idiotic "hoops" to satisfy teachers' whims (such as being sure to take "enough" notes to make the teacher "happy" or your grade will drop...the kid had an A average on assessments of the course content and got a "C" on his report card because he didn't take the amount of notes the teacher demanded). Did he need to take more notes? Really? Now at least he can work at his own pace--go through easier material faster and more difficult material more slowly.

I work for public schools and I am SO disenchanted with the whole education business these days. I've been seeing way too many substandard teaching practices in the classrooms. It's really sad. Some teachers work so hard and knock themselves out to make sure everyone is learning (like I did when I was still in the classroom) and others just show up, make the kids fill out worksheets, and go home.

Makes me want to rebel and start my own gosh-darn school! So there!

I decided my Senior year that my little 'uns are going to private school when they are born. Some of reasons transformer listed are the reason for my choice.

Its not as bad here, but there's no way mine will be going to a public school for secondary schooling. We've been more than happy with the local primary up until 12 years old, but next year Fraser's off to a private school - complete with blazer, hat, tie, class size of about 18, etc etc, and strict school rules. I would have gotten detention for hanging around the train station or shops in my school uniform and I want the same type of discipline for my kids.

Nice if you can afford it though. Many people have no choice. The schools in this area are quite rough and dont have good academic standards.

I'm also disenchanted with the public system here as a student teacher, but I"m passionate that its the public schools that need the good teachers, not the private ones, they have enough. So I plan to work in the public system.

Daycares are administering the same policies and I pay those fools! A little boy decided it would be just delightful to punch my daughter in the stomach one day, so my daughter being taught by her mom to always stand up for herself, kicked it where it hurts! That's right men! A low blow but well deserved! SHE got in trouble as well as the boy who punched her. Needless to say I royally showed my ass on this one! If I pay you to keep my child, you play by MY rules!:eek:

Does the school's jusridiction extend beyond their property?

In our area they say it does. The rule is One hour before school and one hour after school u can not get into any trouble even off school property.

The more and more I hear about the state of schools these days the more and more I am thinking about home school.

I think you could fight the school on their jurisdiction off their property, certainly more easily than fighting something that happened AT the school.

In our area they say it does. The rule is One hour before school and one hour after school u can not get into any trouble even off school property.
If it's worth it to you, ask a lawyer about that one. That's so vague and ambiguous, I can't imagine it's enforcable. I mean, someone could be an hour away from school and be in a different state. I wouldn't think there's any way a school in say California could claim jurisdiction for an event that happens in Arizona.

Remember people always claim things that have no grounds. Trucks can have a sign that says "stay back 300 ft not responsible for damage" but that doesn't mean that if something happened, they'd be absolved of responsibility. I would suspect it's the same with your child's school.

Zero tolerance policies are sticky at best. A few weeks ago I read an online news article - a kid at a zero tolerance school was in a fight. Out of respect for the policy and not wanting to be expelled, the kid refused to fight back. Instead, he literally just covered his face and took a fetal position, and received some significant injuries. Much more so, doctors claim, than if he had fought back. The kid's parents are now suing the school over the injuries.

My school district has jurisdiction over any incident that happens at school bus stops, on school buses, during field trips, or on school grounds before or after school hours such as sports events or other extra-curricular activities. Criminal incidents that happen off school grounds can also have school consequences (i.e. expulsion).

i do think that our schools have ridiculous rules, but i think they have been FORCED to make such drastic rules due to being sued, etc. that is what our world has come to, people sue their own moms.

private schools have just as crazy rules, based on other premises. for example, my son is in a private school. he is not allowed to touch a girl-EVER, not even on the playground. they cannot even play tag. it can result in a paddling or suspension. i think that is crazy.

also, i heard once of a kindergartener being expelled because she made a toy gun out of lego's and started pointing it around the room saying "pow" "pow". i don't know how true that story was, but it is among the many that i have heard happen now.

private schools have just as crazy rules, based on other premises. for example, my son is in a private school. he is not allowed to touch a girl-EVER, not even on the playground. they cannot even play tag. it can result in a paddling or suspension. i think that is crazy.

If any teacher attempted to paddle my child I'd be in the school paddling the teacher. Not saying I disagree with spankings, but that would be MY job as a parent, not the teacher's job.