Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Centers of Excellence

I've heard elsewhere that some insurance companies do not require the 6 month supervised diet if you go to a bariatric center of excellence. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have BCBS of Tx- TRS Active Care (teacher insurance). I do know that they have centers of excellence, but I don't know if this applies. I call them almost every day with more questions. I just thought I'd put it out here and see if anyone knew anything.

I have not heard that but I am going to a center of excellence and had to do the 6mo weight loss...I would be interested to find this out though.

I have BCBS of California. Because I went to a bariatric center of excellence in Iowa I didnt have to have the 6 months of supervised diets or the five years of verifiable tries at weight loss. Just one appointment with a shrink.

Hmmm....thanks. I wonder if I can do that. There may be a difference though. I guess I'm going to have to break down and call my insurance company for the upteenth time. They're going to hate hearing from me by the time this is over :eek:

Thanks for answering me. I'm going to check it out. Did you go to a free standing bariatric center versus a hospital? The reason I ask is because the hospital that I want to go to is listed as a bariatric center of excellence. Not sure about my surgeon.

Blue Cross of CA makes it a requirement that surgery is done at Center of Excellence. So even is your surgeon is located in one area they may make you go to another hospital day of surgery.

Oh ya and make sure the seminar you attend is given by the hospital/doctor doing surgery cause some places wont accept seminar/support groups from different area.

So follow all the stuff they want you to do...

Good Luck

That would be awesome if the 6 month thing was waived if you went to a BC of excellence....I am calling my insurance company tomorrow and I will let you know...this means I might actually get to have my surgery this year!!! I wish you had started this thread earlier :eek:

I have Blue Cross of CA and for my policy it is there requirement to go to a center of excellence hospital, not a clinic, they require an overnite stay. I am scheduled to have my surgery on Jan 16 at El Camino Hospital in Mountain View, CA. I did not submit a 6 month supervised diet plan, just the doctors recommendation for the surgery and psych eval. So good luck with your journey. I tried to get in by the end of the year, but the surgeon is going on vacation.

My Blue Cross of CA didnt require 6month supervised diet but it need to be stated in Doctor letter to Surgeon that you have tried and failed many diet plans.

Was so glad that I had Blue Cross of CA and was approved so fast before Jan 2008 cause we was moving over to UHC which has different reqirements and I have missing records that is needed for 5year proof... even though i got 8 years overweight.

I called BCBS of Alabama and they said no matter what you have to do the 6month diet plan.

I've heard elsewhere that some insurance companies do not require the 6 month supervised diet if you go to a bariatric center of excellence. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have BCBS of Tx- TRS Active Care (teacher insurance). I do know that they have centers of excellence, but I don't know if this applies. I call them almost every day with more questions. I just thought I'd put it out here and see if anyone knew anything.

I have BC Ca - and i was required to go to a center of excellence - it was in the wording for bariatic surgery to be covered.. You gotta ck w/your carrier to see what they require - I didn't have to do any supervised diet - I just gave my surgeon had my history of diets..

I can tell you from what I have read on these boards - Every carrier is different just like every surgeon is diff - ck w/your carrier and see what they require..

Good Luck