Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need gift ideas, please.

So, my brother got married at the end of June. I need gift ideas for his inlaws. They are into organic food and are very much "green." They own a restaurant and the FIL is a chef. I'm stumped, to be honest. I'm wary about getting them food stuff since they seem to be rather picky, but I don't know them well enough to know of something more personal that I could get them.

So, my brother got married at the end of June. I need gift ideas for his inlaws. They are into organic food and are very much "green." They own a restaurant and the FIL is a chef. I'm stumped, to be honest. I'm wary about getting them food stuff since they seem to be rather picky, but I don't know them well enough to know of something more personal that I could get them.

Sounds like a gift card moment to me.

Sounds like a gift card moment to me.
Yeah, but I'd like to get them something a tad more personal. Problem is, I don't know them well enough to know what that'd be, other than "organic" or "green."

I have two PERFECT suggestions for you. kiva.org and heiferinternational.org (I can't remember if it's .org or .com). Anyway, I gave a kiva gift to my brother who is very into 'green' with his girlfriend. They loved it. I also gave to my father-in-law who needs absolutely nothing!! Kiva lends money to people in developing nations so they can start up a business. Then they can either give the money back to you or loan it to another person - and the gift continues. Heifer international is an Arkansas group where you can buy livestock for people in developing nations - same premise, but with animals. I think how it works is the first offspring is given to another needy person, and the cycle continues. They both are AWESOME ways to give gifts in someone's name, where you can really make a difference in someone's life, and to give to someone who really doesn't NEED more stuff. I hope you consider these 'green' gifts!

Linda

What about some of the cool tools from Pampered Chef? They have some great things there and you can spend a little or a lot. My very favorite cooking tool of all time is the Mix and Chop. Mix 'N Chop : Cookware : The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

I got a really nice welcome mat for my neighbor who sounds much like your bro's inlaws--it was made of recycled pop bottles, but it looks very cool. It had the label telling all about how much space it saved in the landfill, and how to clean it---spray it with a hose, it is plastic, although it looks like the usual welcome mat junk! Bought it at Linens and Things--for like $16.99.

They had a good variety of recycled things---up to a picnic table, that looked like wooden 2X 4's, and was actually made from recycled plastic bottles, and styrofoam!

I also saw some gift boxes---with all organic items. Try your local Wild Oats or whatever your areas organic grocer is. They sell gift baskets. They might have other cool ideas as well.

A gift card to a local kitchen ware shop, is not totally impersonal, it shows that you know they are into that, but also allows them to do the choosing. You could always put the gift card down into something for the kitchen. We got one from one of Rick's friends last year, he gave us a shaker (like for martini's and such) and down inside was a gift card to a local liquor shop!

There are also tons of new cook books out each year---do they like a certain TV chef?

Will let ya know if I see anything while on my shopping trip tomorrow!

Kat

Okay, so I wound up ordering this for my brother's MIL. She really likes tea, so I think she'll like it. Now I just have to figure out what to get his FIL.

or you could buy me stuff and tell them you donated to charity in thier name...

Or me.. you donated the money to a poor college student :)

what about a basket of organic nuts or dried fruit...wine? men you dont know are the worst to buy for

Or me.. you donated the money to a poor college student :)

what about a basket of organic nuts or dried fruit...wine? men you dont know are the worst to buy for

Wine might be a good idea. Hmm. I'll have to call or email my SIL to see what he likes.

Quite frankly, wine and fruit or cheese baskets are outrageously priced on the net. You could make your own for less money. There is a website where you can select a food item (e.g. cheese, fruit, dried fruit, nuts) and it will tell you which wine compliments that particular food. Here is the link Eatingspot.com - Food & Wine Matchmaking

Good luck, men are so hard to buy for..........

In my family there are so many rock hounds--collectors of minerals, geodes would be a hit!!!

We used to buy the ones for the kids, you put them in an old sock, and took a hammer to them---so exciting to see if you got a good one or not!

Kat

I called my SIL to see what her dad likes, and apparently he's a fan of classic movies. I went to Amazon and found a couple of DVD sets that he'll probably like. One set has The Pink Panther, A Fistful of Dollars, Dr. No, and the Magnificent Seven. The other set has The Great Escape, Rocky, West Side Story, and The Thomas Crown Affair. They were pretty cheap, so I just got both of them.

In my family there are so many rock hounds--collectors of minerals, geodes would be a hit!!!

We used to buy the ones for the kids, you put them in an old sock, and took a hammer to them---so exciting to see if you got a good one or not!

Kat

Yah, I love rocks. I adore geodes and I bring home a stone from every place I go. Most of my stones are pretty boring but I have some wonderful sand roses from the Sahara.