Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all!

Just prior to surgery (while being prep'd) when my surgeon came to speak with me, he told me that I was getting a New Improved version of the band. My surgery was just a week ago (Nov. 27). He told me that on the old band the adjustable part only went 320 degrees aroud the band but that on the new model that I was getting it went 360 degrees. Better and more even control with this one. Yeah me!

Just curious if anyone else here was told they were getting the new model. Also, even though I felt I had researched it well, I didn't know that (about the degrees around) until he told me just before surgery. Just me on this?

Not concerned, only curious if anyone else got the new model.

i received the new band also and thought ...great!! ....heck at this time any band was making me happy lol...i had surgery nov 28th... however the 2 weeks more of liquid ..clear liquids that is ...is killing me!!! i am hungry and some ppl say they arent...i am... but ...good for us with the new band.

If you do a search of the forums for AP Band you'll get a lot of information on the updated band. Many bandsters here have gotten them in the last several months.

Congrats on being banded!

I specifically asked my surgeon if he would be using the new AP band and he said yes and showed several bands to me and explained the differences (which I had already learned on this board. ;) )

I insisted on the AP band. They special ordered it in for me. When I was wheeled into the OR, I made them show me the box to make sure they had the right one...

The new band is called the AP model and it has the saline solution pockets all the way around it and the old band was the VG model and it didn't have a saline pocket area under the buckle. From what I've read, having the saline pockets all the way around is for improved fit around the stomach and the opening that is in the center is more rounded than oval which I wonder if that will help fit food through better? I'm sure they researched the heck out of it at Allergan before releasing a new band given the VB model was really doing well.

I got the new model. Dr. Richard showed it to me at my pre-op visit. Surgery was yesterday. Everything went very well.

If you do a search of the forums for AP Band you'll get a lot of information on the updated band. Many bandsters here have gotten them in the last several months.

Yup! Some docs have been using it for like a year now but it seems most started around spring time.

I have the APS

My band is called Realize by Johnson and Johnson. Is that the same as AB that you are all talking about? My Dr. said it was new and he was putting it in all of his patients.

My band is called Realize by Johnson and Johnson. Is that the same as AB that you are all talking about? My Dr. said it was new and he was putting it in all of his patients.

Nope, that's a completely different band... yours is really new in the US it's just been approved for use here.

I too had the AP band "installed" on Nov. 19th. My surgeon showed it to me during my pre-op visit. he said the little "pillows" actually prevent erosion. so I was happy about that. he also said that with the buckle covered and the structure of the new band, there is less slippage. He had started using them this past August and he has had 100% success so far with all his lap band patients.So he is pleased with the results so far. It is a bigger band, and also holds more CCs of Fluid. Mine holds 10 cc and he put in 4 cc at the time of surgery. So I don't have a lot of restriction. It is also a low pressure band. The fluid in not under pressure so there is no problems with the fluid leaking out the port like a high pressure band. I'm THRILLED that I got one. I feel very fortunate and I'm more confident.

Aubrie,

Did he tell you anything about the restriction. I read that it takes longer to feel the restriction on this new band. Is that true?