Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is it obvious??

I am wondering about pbing (is that right) i have read alot about it and deffinately understand what this is, but does this happen alot. I mean will I be out to dinner on a date and ..OOOOPPPPSSS! Will everyone who sees me eat know that there is something different about me than a nromal person who has not had the surgery? I am going to keep reading old threads to compleatly understand the eating process. It seems there are different stages and lengths of time to stay in these stages. It seems from reading these threads that even those of you who have been banded for quite some time still have difficulty eating certine foods. Once you hit ideal wieght and get the liquid removed from your band will you be able to eat all of the foods you used to?

Hi bandit!

There was a thread (Im going to go dig for it) that we talked about PB's in detail. Once I find it, Ill bump it for you to read. That thread should answer your questions. But if not, just ask again! :D

The liquid is not meant to be removed once you've met your goal weight. Obesity is a lifelong disease which we could easily revert back to without our bands. It is meant to remain adjusted only enough to allow you to maintain your goal weight. Hope this helps!

bandit, I haven't had a real pb yet, but I have had what I call a hard swallow in which it feels like the food is stuck somewhere in my chest and I get lots of saliva in my mouth. It's very painful and I tend to get that 'deer in the headlights' look when it happens. Sometimes I have to go spit the saliva out, before it will get better. This has happened to me in restruants, too. Usually, I'm just with my dh so it doesn't matter if he sees me, he knows what is going on. But when I go out with others who don't know about my band, I am very careful about what I order. Usually Soup and salad because I know it goes down easy for me. My advice is learn what foods are easy for you to eat and order those when you are around people you don't want to know about your band. Be sure you chew, chew, chew before swallowing and take tiny bites. Hope this helps.

I've been lucky... no public PBing... but I think that is because I am extra careful when my husband and I do go out to eat. THe one thing that I've gotten used to is having the waitress and or waiter be concerned about my liking my meal... they seem so distressed that I have not eaten as much as they would probably guess a chubby girl eats. :clap: I've even had them offer to bring me something else to my liking...lolol. Anyhoo... there won't be any outward signs that you are banded... and nothing will fly out of your body without warning :D

and nothing will fly out of your body without warning :D
Too funny, Darcy!! I did have one sliming episode in public. Fortunately, I was w/my DH and not trying to impress him on a first date. I don't get stressed like I used to and that helps a lot. I no longer scope out where the nearest bathroom is and if I have a clear path to it. People really don't pay any attention to what you do or don't eat. My DH and I usually split something. We're getting a nicer meal for less than we used to spend for 2 cheaper, higher fat/carb meals. But I have pb'd at home some, usually because I was in too big of a hurry and/or eating too big of a bite.

You know one thing I am so looking forward to doing in a restaurant is????????????? Being able to talk more when eating with my friends... I mean before I was always so busy stuffing my face that they were the ones getting in all the conversations & I was just nodding & ahhumming. Now that I will have to be chewing more & eating slower I just may be able to contribute more to the conversations! Another PLUS for banding :D